Threatened/Endangered Breeds of Horses. (Lots of pics) - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Hooved Animal Discussion For all you hooved animal lovers.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2006, 01:38 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Threatened/Endangered Breeds of Horses. (Lots of pics)

I don't really know how many people on here are true horse people, but Last year I went to the Equine Extravaganza and they had a whole part of the show for these horses. I was going to the one that just past at the end of October but it was my birthday so I had other plans..

Critical: Fewer than 300 adult breeding mares

Endangered: Fewer than 500 adult breeding mares

Vulnerable: Fewer than 900 adult breeding mares

At Risk: Fewer than 1500 adult breeding mares

Study: Breeds of genetic interest but either lack definition or lack genetic or historic documentation.

Recovering: Previously listed Breeds that have exceeded At Risk category numbers but are still in need of monitoring.

There are certain organization set up for trying to bring the breed back.. and there is a site somewhere that lists the exact number of them. I am a member of the equine rescue federation (they are not located in VA yet), but if something serious happens where they need outside people- im in.. (ex a hurricane) i am also going to post a few pictures of some of these breeds. it is terrible that they are almost gone. this may take up a few posts, but it is something i am passionate about, and i may be a part of an event for fundraising for certain breeds that only have maybe 100 or less left.

SMALL PONIES
Dartmoor - Vulnerable.

Exmoor - Critical.

LARGE PONIES
Dales - Critical.

Fell - Vulnerable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2006, 01:43 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

(LARGE PONIES CONT)
Highland - Vulnerable.

Lac La Croix - Study.

Newfoundland - Study.

Gotland - At Risk.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2006, 01:52 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

SMALL HORSE
Caspian - Critical.

LIGHT HORSE
Akhal-Teke - Endangered. (Yes, they do really look 'gold' and some are thin like this.. they also come in other colors.)

Barb Horse - Critical.

Canadian Horse - Endangered.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2006, 02:04 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Cleveland Bay - Critical.

Colonial Spanish (Spanish Mustang) - Critical.

Hackney Horse - Endangered. (known for their movement)

Irish Draught - Study.

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2006, 02:13 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Lipizzan - Endangered. (known for their performance)

Mountain Pleasure - Critical.

Rocky Mountain - Recovering.

HEAVY HORSE
American Cream Draft - Critical.

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2006, 02:19 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Belgian - Recovering.

Clydesdale - At Risk.

English Shire - Vulnerable.

Percheron - Recovering. (Black when born and young, USUALLY turn gray- then to "white")

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2006, 02:23 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Suffolk - Critical.

Sorry this is so long but can only post 4 pics a post lol.. anyways, if an event ever gets scheduled i am going to inform you guys about it.. and depending on where it is maybe some of you can attend. it truely is amazing seeing these animals in person.. and hearing about them.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 04:17 PM

I don't think Canadian Horses are Endangered...we have TONS of them in this area, they are almost as common as Arabs and Thoroughbreds here.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-12-2006, 10:30 PM
RAT ADDICT

Thats interesting.I never knew so many were "in danger".I enjoyed looking at the pics tho,I love horses.Akhal Teke horses,clydesdales,frisians and arabs are my favorites.I also love Icelands and Newfoundlands.

I just wanted to mention tho,the picture you have there for the Newfoundland,does not look like the TRUE Newfoundland.Living in the province that Newfoundland's orginated in,I see them often and that picture looks different.Here is a link for the NPS (Newfoundland Pony Society) you may enjoy.

http://www.newfoundlandpony.com/

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-12-2006, 11:26 PM
Will It Ever Change?

unbelievable! what amazing creatures. i know back home there's a few farms with clydesdales and belgians, they're breathtaking. My mom had a horse when i was a toddler, i still have memories of riding her. regardless of my intesnse allergies to horses and hay, i still am awed by their grace and beauty. they are such sweet animals.

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 12:45 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

It isn't just breeds of horses that we are in danger of losing. A number of breeds of rabbits, cattle, sheep, goats, pigs, asses and poultry are also in danger of becoming extinct. You can check out a list of endangered U.S. breeds at: www.albc-usa.org/ Be sure to click on "Conservation Priority List."
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 11:53 AM
User Is No Longer Welcome

Interesting. I never knew that horses were endangered. I also never new there were so many breeds!
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 11:57 AM
Guarded by Waffles

I LOVE Lippizans (?) I have a paint and a quarter horse though

Christine
Mommy to:
2 cats: Suess and Jezebel
2 horses: Winter and Junior
3 dogs: Panda, Maggie, Snoopy

And the rest:
5 cows, a bull and one mean buffalo

Gone but not forgotten:
Jester, cat
Waffles, dog
Gunny, ferret

Check out
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 12:43 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

VWbarnbum sure put a lot of work into posting those pictures for us. Thanks so much for this interesting thread!
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-17-2006, 01:46 AM
Playful Pup

I love horses, I would come to the event if your going to have one. I'll buy a ticket for a flight, its also a good excuse to see America. Also endagndered are Assatuge Ponies(sorry about spelling), Brumbies, Camargues, Prezwaski Horses (soory for my spelling mistakes). I love Friesians, Hanoverians, Lippanzers,Andalusians, Shires and all the british breeds of ponies and horses.
Kind Regards Rhiannon

Mynydd Golygfa Mousery. Breeding mice for show and pets on the South Coast.
Flowers are the poetry of earth,as stars are the poetry of heaven.-Anonymous