What Kind? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Hooved Animal Discussion For all you hooved animal lovers.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-08-2003, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
Obsessed With Turtles

What Kind?

My older daughter went horse back riding (for the first time) with her girl scout troop today! Needless to sau in the begining she was terrified especially when she first mounted her horse. They got to ride for a little over an hour and by the end when she figured out how to control & steer she was saying she wants to go again and NOW wants a horse! (and I am gonna put one where was my response )

Anyway... this is the horse she rode. Her name is Dyna... & my daughter would like to know what kind of horse she is? (all I know is Dyna short for Dynamite had a western saddle on her)

Last edited by fstybrat; 06-08-2003 at 10:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-09-2003, 12:05 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

She looks like a very old Appaloosa. From the picture you can see white around the eye (sclera) which is a trademark of an Appaloosa. Other breeds don't show the sclera as distinctly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rhonda
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-09-2003, 12:14 PM

I'm looking at the pic again.....did the horse have any more brown on her besides her ears? Medicine Hat Paints have a colored "hat" like this one, but usually also have patches somewhere on their body. I don't see any on the side that is showing, just curious what her other side looks like.

Rhonda

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-09-2003, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Obsessed With Turtles

She does have some light tan spots on her other side rear end. I did some more looking and according to the website of the place we went (duh why didn't I think about that before ) http://www.windyridgeranch.com/ she is:
Dynamite
Breed - Paint mare
Year Born - 1986
Color - White, medicine hat
Face Markings - L blue & R bwn eye
Leg Markings - None
Height, hands - 15

(ps thanks Scarlette!!)
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-09-2003, 01:04 PM

The poor thing must've had a hard life. She looks alot older than 17!

I had my money on Appaloosa until I noticed the Medicine Hat.

Rhonda

post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-29-2003, 03:25 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

You sure know a lot about breeds Scarlette.
That horse does look old, do you think they would be dishonest about his age?
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-29-2003, 03:31 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

That's some web site they have! They look very honest about info on horses there. One was even 32 years old that recently died.
They even had a picture of horses wearing party hats for a birthday party! How cute!
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-29-2003, 08:11 AM Thread Starter
Obsessed With Turtles

She was a very sweet horse indeed... I don't see any reason to lie about the age? I know she was one of the trainer horses so maybe that has taken a toll on her. This ranch is owned by one guy & his family... He has a very LARGE piece of land & takes very good care of his horses Actually the way it appeared when we were there was he treats his horses like they are his children...
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-29-2003, 08:29 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

The reason I would say lie about age is because its hard work for a horse to be used hacking all day(not that this place overworks the horses) , but some places do overwork horses and I could just see customers making a complaint if they knew a horse was really old. It was just a thought that entered my mind.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-29-2003, 09:14 AM
I Think I Need a Bigger Bear

I've been there!!!!

~ Jodi ~

post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-29-2003, 09:22 AM Thread Starter
Obsessed With Turtles

I completely understand LL!! You could very well be right I have only been there once... BUT ya never know with one visit! (I would probably be one of those to complain about an overworked horse especially one that is old )

Have you Jodi!! I feel it is a VERY nice place... He has his hands full now because his wife passed away a year ago But he has some girls (family??) that help him out with the care of the horses.

I know my daughter wants to go back... but it isn't something we can afford to do right now.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-29-2003, 09:28 AM
I Think I Need a Bigger Bear

It is a nice place....there are a few nice horse riding places in that area! I used to LOVE riding horses as a kid. I haven't done it in years though...

Kenny & I are going to go in the mountains this October. I'm really excited for that! Hope my butt can handle it!!

~ Jodi ~

post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-29-2003, 08:20 PM

Linda, I've had horses for 24 years now, mostly Paints and Appaloosas. I've been around many different breeds.

No offense fsty, I'm sure those people take good care of their horses, but I have a horse that is 23 years old and she doesn't look it at all. When she was about 9 years old we were at a show and the judge was convinced that she used to be his horse. He told me that she was 16 (7 years older than what I was told when I bought her from a different ranch). If he is correct, then that would make her 30 years old right now!

People lie about a horse's age all the time unfortunately. My friend bought a horse that she was told was 15. I knew the minute I saw the mare that she was much older than that. The vet came out and checked her over, looked at her teeth and said "This horse is about 25 years old!" The horse had to be put to sleep due to arthritis 8 years later....so that would've made her 33 when she was put down.

Rhonda

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-29-2003, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
Obsessed With Turtles

No offense taken Scarlette! I honestly don't know how he cares for his horses... as I said I have only been there once & you really can't judge that he is a good care taker on 1 visit. You could very well be right... then again who knows how he keeps record of all the horses & their birthdates?? with over 49 horses that would be kinda tough!

You are way more knowledgable than I when it comes to horses Scarlette... I honestly believe what you say!
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-29-2003, 09:19 PM
Princess in Waiting

Cool

Scarlette, the Horse Queen!! You do have a lot of knowledge about horses, Scarlette. Where were you when I was 21 and bought one? (Probably not even a twinkle in your daddy's eye as they say).

Well, aren't animals like us in that some age differently/better than others? I know I've seen women who are my age and just croak because I would guess them to be in their 60's; I was passing for my 20's when I was in my 30's. Big breed dogs age faster; smaller breeds live longer. Anything along those lines with horses, Scarlette?

Little girls always fall in love with horses, don't they? I envy Jodi her trip into the mountains. We're going to Arizona in October and horseback riding is available, but I fear my arthritic knees and hips would protest too much.

One trip is a bit too soon to tell - let her get a few lessons under her rear end before we make a purchase!! (Remember, this advice is from one of the biggest spoiled brat only children you've ever seen.)

CRITTERCALL

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."

Tags
breed dogs, litter box