What would you do?? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Hooved Animal Discussion For all you hooved animal lovers.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-09-2006, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

What would you do??

I have just found out that the owner of the boarding stables where my horse is has changed the feeding compleatly.
When we moved there the horses were fed three times a day.morning grainmix and hay/straw. midday hay/straw. evening grainmix and nay/straw. without notifying the owners he now feeds morning ;grainmix.. evening grainmix and hay/straw
That meens the horses stand from eight o'clock in the morning till about six in the evening without anything to eat.. For me rather unacseptable,,, only there are no good stables anywhere close and in about three weeks I will be away for ca.a month hopefully less.
Some of the other owners has started to feed themselves at midday,but this is almost impossible for me to do.
Would you move her to a nearby stable where the feed is not the cuality we have but where they have something to eat most of the day, or do I leave her where she is until I am home again,and then find a new place
I am really upset about this situation,
she is standing with two other mares now and they get along fine, but for a horse not to eat anythig for so many hours???
Please give me your opinions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-09-2006, 04:58 PM
Adolescent Pup

Get her a toy ball to play with in the stall, and tell him your not happy about the feed schedule changing and wish he woud reconsider especially if your paying aboarding fee. then if he wont reconsider start looking a for a better place. maybe he is just trying to cut cost? ask him??
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-09-2006, 05:33 PM
Curmudgeon

I'd look for another stable if I wasn't happy with the treatment of the animal. First, you might want to talk to the owner and discuss it. If you and he can't come to an agreement on the feeding of YOUR horse, I'd take it somewhere else.

bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-09-2006, 06:55 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

If you're not happy with the care your horses are receiving then definitely speak with the owner of the stable. If he doesn't want to change it back and you're not happy, then move the horses.

I've had horses for 27 years and I can tell you that they do not need to eat all day. Yes, they are grazers by nature but if they're nutrition requirements are met with hay in the evening along with grain in their diet (throughout the day), they don't need to be munching on hay all day long. My only concern would be if they were standing in a stall all day with nothing to do. That could lead to boredom cribbing and weaving. You don't say whether or not they are stalled all day (which I do not recommend anyway), but if they are then put some toys in there for them. I wouldn't recommend a stall ball due to limited space which would make it more likely for a horse to step on it wrong and injure a leg. You can take a milk carton, put some medium size rocks in it and tie it from the ceiling. Make it long enough so that the horse can reach up and push it back and forth, yet not so long that they can get the rope wrapped around their neck. You can do the same with a stall ball that has a handle on it but a milk carton is much cheaper, plus with the rocks in it making a rattle noise it makes it much more interesting.

Rhonda

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-10-2006, 03:42 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

The horses are fed at 6.30AM then they are outside on bare ground (no grass). At 7PM they are fed everything else. I realise they do not have to eat all day but to get all the hay in one feeding...........
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-11-2006, 11:12 PM

Lightbulb Contract Info...

It may cost a bit of money, but maybe you could pay to have your horse fed hay/straw in the morning as well.... Also, I'm pretty sure that there is something you can do about it (legally) if you had a contract signed in which it specified the way your horse was fed. If he changed it in a way that doesn't go along with what was layed out in your contract you can point that out to him and request that he feed the way you'd like him to. In Illinois (near Chicago) cost of hay is about $4/ bale so maybe its a money thing. If it is a money thing, maybe he wouldn't mind feeding just your horse in the mornings, even though that doesn't take care of the other horses that aren't getting fed properly...
Hope someone gives you adequate advice!!
~Angie