What would you do if you were me? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Hooved Animal Discussion For all you hooved animal lovers.

View Poll Results: What would you do?
Yes, I would have her put to sleep in the fall. 0 0%
No, I would take my chances and hope for another year, maybe more. 10 76.92%
I don't know! 3 23.08%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-09-2003, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Unhappy What would you do if you were me?

I have a bit of a dilemma and want your opinions on this.

My mare, Foxy, that I've had for 16 years (she is now 23) has been slowing down quite a bit for the past 3 years.....more so this year. She had lost some weight over the winter, gained it back this summer, but is losing weight again. Her teeth are fine, she is updated on deworming and shots and I know she's not sick, just getting older. She still looks fantastic for being 23....actually doesn't look a day over 15, but I'm worried that age is catching up with her. Her joints click when she walks, and when I whistle the younger horses race up to the barn and she just slowly walks up. That is so not like her. She used to be the fastest horse in the county.

My dilemma:

I'm seriously worried that she'll have a hard time this winter. I could tell she was having a hard time last winter...but she wasn't limping or anything. She did lose quite a bit of weight even though I babied her through with grain and good hay. You could never see ribs, back bone, or anything like that, but it was the thinnest I've ever seen her. I'm worried she'll take a horrible turn for the worse in the middle of winter, I'll have to have her put to sleep but won't be able to have her buried. I think that would be very disrespectful to her. She's been such a great horse, my best friend for 16 years.

On the other hand, if I do have her put to sleep this fall I will always wonder if she would have been ok through the winter and we would have been able to have another year together.

What would you do if you were me? I know this probably isn't a fair question since you aren't in my shoes but I would like other opinions on this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rhonda
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-09-2003, 06:09 PM
I Wish I Were a Snot Ball Shooter

Okay - I imagine some of you won't like my idea - maybe it's a bit ... I dunno - odd.

Do you have a place picked where you would bury her ? How about digging the grave before the ground freezes - some how block the area off so there's no accidents ... see how she does come wintertime - if she gets too bad ... her resting place will be ready.

Sounds almost morbid, even to me - but it's the first thing I thought of when I read your post

Sharon
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-09-2003, 06:22 PM
Tootie Gizzard-Tush!

If it seems like she is in pain, or just not enjoying life anymore, it is probably time to let go.
I know this must be so hard for you. I'm sorry.
You just want what is best for her and I'm sure you'll make the right decision.
((((hugs))))

It doesn't matter what temperature the room is. It's always room-temperature.
Life is an endless struggle full of frustrations and challenges, but eventually you find a hairstyle you like.
Sad to think that when the letters 'WWF' are mentioned, most of us think of wrestlers, before the World Wildlife Fund...
The best car safety device is a rear-view mirror with a cop in it.
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?
What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?
All those who believe in psychokinesis raise my hand.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-09-2003, 06:45 PM
Incubator Cricket Killer

If it were me, I'd wait until it was unavoidable. I think Sharon had a great idea if that is at all possible.

post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-09-2003, 07:11 PM
Playful Pup

have you tried giving her gliclosamine in her grain? we have a horse who has severe aurthritis and had to be buted every day he came to live with us for a summer and the owner gave him to us because by winter he was doing so well. we give him glicosamine (sp) every night in his feed.you can buy it at places like farm and fleet in the horse section. he has now been with us for five years and although he occasionally has had bad days we have only had to bute him four times. this year we did start giving him asparine but that is only when the weather changes slightly and his aurthritis acts up he is 30+ years old and all though he isn't as quick as he used to be I feel that he enjoys his life.

ABC Chinchillas- Email me at
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-09-2003, 11:54 PM
Incubator Cricket Killer

What does bute mean?

post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-10-2003, 08:37 AM
Playful Pup

bute is esientially vikaden (sp) for horses

ABC Chinchillas- Email me at
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-10-2003, 08:57 AM
I Think I Need a Bigger Bear

It does sound morbid but I agree with Sharon...it's the best way to be prepared for the worst.

I'm so sorry you are going thru this Scarlette...I hope what you need to do becomes clear to you...

~ Jodi ~

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-10-2003, 02:31 PM
Incubator Cricket Killer

Thanks Starleomach!

post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-10-2003, 02:38 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

"Buted" sounds like it may be Torbutrol, which is indeed a pain reliever and a very strong one not good for long term use, at least in dogs/cats anyway! (off topic sort of, sorry!)

Scarlette, I'd try other options, talk to your vet about what you can do to make her more comfortable. See if there are any treatments for her pain (like starleomach suggested) and see if it works. You've got a bit of time left yet and might as well try if you can.

I'm so sorry you're faced with this decision. My thoughts are with you!

Stephanie

post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-10-2003, 03:01 PM
Proud New Mommy

I think that having a resting place for her would be a good idea. My best friend was forced to put her horse down and she buried her in her backyard (she has 5 acres).

I also agree with Jade on talking to your vet and seeing what he/she says...

my thoughts are with you both. I'm sorry you are having to deal with this...

"Live your beliefs and you can turn the world around"- Henry David Thoreau
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-10-2003, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

She is not, or does not seem to be in pain. She doesn't limp or anything like that, just moving slow and her joints click when she walks, so I don't think she's in pain, she's just slowing down. If it were obvious that she was in pain then my decision would be a bit easier.

My vet has already told me she doesn't know what she would do. She's kind of in a similar situation....has an older horse that is really slowing down and losing weight for no reason but old age. She's had her horse for 20 years.....so she and I are in similar situations here.

Rhonda

post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-10-2003, 06:25 PM

I have a 34 year old Appy. She has slowed down and some days are worse than others. My Vet put her on "Bute" twice a week.,( it is a giant asprin for horses.) "Desire" also gets;
Senior Feed
Red Cell
a product called Grand Flex or Next Level which ever is available when I buy supplies
My farrier rounds her front feet so she kind of rolls when she walks and put alum. shoes on front only.
I also rub her legs with Biofreeze. you get it at the Chiropractor but I order it in bulk so I get it right from the manf. the number to order is 1-800-246-3733. It does make a difference with my old girl.
I am not going to put Desire down until she is in pain and I don't have any option left. Good Luck with your choice. Let me hear from you if you need to talk. I know the day is near when "Hearts Desire" will leave me but not today.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-12-2003, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

As of right now I've decided to take my chances and hope for the best. My barn is usually packed completely full with hay but I think I'm going to leave the one stall open for when she's having bad days.

I talked to the vet and she doesn't want to put her on bute full time, only if she looks to be having pain. I think this winter is going to be tough on her. We've already had some really cold and rainy days and she was really slow then. This will probably be her last winter if the bute doesn't help her.

Rhonda

post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-17-2003, 07:12 PM
I Think I Need a Bigger Bear

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for her Scarlette. I hope the medicine works for her. One day at a time girlie.

~ Jodi ~

Closed Thread