When to get a green - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Hooved Animal Discussion For all you hooved animal lovers.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
canis lupus familiaris

When to get a green

My life long goal is to open an animal rescue for urgent but adoptable animals. One of my main targets? Mustangs!!

Heres the thing. I started riding when I was...oh 15ish...16...when I took a summer job cleaning for lessons. Then my parents started arguing and it became a contest (the better parent takes her.) Well they BOTH stopped. Needless to say, I lost the job. A job that I now found out could have helped me get in school

Then I started helping out another lady. I took the bus to her ranch and helped her groom and rehabilitate horses (mostly abused) which was AWESOME. Only issue was that apparently there were no student bus passes for summer (which I didn't know) and I didn't have $100/month to dish out for the bus.

So that leaves me where I am now. I'm thinking about dishing out for lessons again just to catch up on skills (although honestly everyone I know teaches me a different way to ride.) After college, I'd like to reward myself with a new friend. Of course I'm not going to be looking for any green horses then...maybe just an older one. Just wondering if anyone has gotten a green horse. When were you ready? What was it like?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 06:03 PM
Playful Pup

I think opening a rescue for mustangs is wounderful!!!!
Good luck!!!
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-18-2013, 05:04 PM
Newborn Pup

Green horses should be left to the professionals or at least to those who don't mind being thrown a lot

But seriously, I would not advise getting a unbroke or even a green horse until you've mastered skills on many broke horses. Does that mean that you couldn't get a green horse and come out alright? No. Many people have jumped right in, and come out okay. But many, many more have not. Usually it is the horse that pays the price; they are impressionable at a certain stage in training and everything you do will never be forgotten. It is best to find a Good trainer and work with them with your own finished horse, and maybe obverse them working with young horses.

Tags
green