Worried about my Horse - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Hooved Animal Discussion For all you hooved animal lovers.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2008, 05:20 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Worried about my Horse

I just need to talk. When the vet came out on Thursday, and looked at Partee's limp, (her right leg), he just couldn't give me any good news. I kept trying to tell him that she has had thrush all winter and that I haven't had anywhere to get her into a dry place to get it cleared up. He says that it just has been too long for her to be this way and he feels that it is more than just thrush. He says he feels a little lump around the top of her hoof. Then I tried to tell him that at the old boarding place, she was in close quarters with my other mare and that Missy was always picking on her especially around feeding time, chasing her away, kicking at her, maybe she got kicked. He still disagreed, said it had been too long, thought it was something else. But, there is no fever in the foot, that's good. But that limp. He said that the previous owner could have used steroids to have kept her well while being sold and that they wore off after awhile after I had her. He said our next step is to bring her in for x-rays. I am miserable. I can't stand to see my baby hurt. I'm waiting for a call to see when my appointment will be. He's pretty booked up. I told him I was going on vacation, and I could bring her in after that, but after a night thinking on it, I just can't wait, so I called this morning and asked to get her in before leaving. So, now, they are telling me that it won't matter if I wait or not. I am going crazy!!!! All I can think of is her. I want to know and I need to know. Wouldn't you want to know a.s.a.p.? Well, I just talked to the vet personally. He said that there is no way he can get her in next week at all. He is booked solid. TWO weeks at least!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2008, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

I got the phone book out and started calling vets! I was referred to a "mobile" vet who can actually come to me, and x-ray Partee's foot, possibly next Tuesday. When he answered the phone, he had a horse in both hands and couldn't talk, he will call me back tonight. Please pray for Partee! We need this appointment! And we need good results.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2008, 05:50 PM
is a little "special"

I hope she does OK!
I hate it when a pet is sick and theres nothing you can do... Your not crazy, just a worried horse mom!
If it makes you feel any better, I said a prayer for her tohe other night...

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2008, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

Thank you Jess. That means the world to me. And I know it will help!

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2008, 06:34 PM
can't think of one, help

Praying for the best for Partee, and you of course too
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2008, 07:10 PM
Will It Ever Change?

you're in my heart

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-30-2008, 12:53 AM
Part of the Pack

I said a prayer for Partee just now I really hope she gets better! Good luck!

Horses simply love running around.They enjoy flexing their muscles, arching their tails in the air, rising up powerfully on their hind legs, and then thundering off at full speed. In between the gallop strides they buck exuberantly and toss their heads joyfully. After repeating their show a couple of times, they pause for a moment to look around with widely flared nostrils, as if to ask: Has everyone seen us? Aren't we simply fantastic? We urge them to move again. They react on the spot, hooves flying with delight.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-30-2008, 12:06 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Can't he give her something for the pain until he's able to come see her? Maybe some Bute?

If there's a lump on the hoof it "could" be that she has something stuck in there and it just needs to work it's way out. I had one mare that would get grains of sand that would work themselves out through the hoof. She never did limp but it did happen alot. You could tell when the sand/stone, whatever it was, worked it's way out because she would have a small hole in the hoof.

My other mare, Jazzy, cut her back leg last spring. It wasn't all that bad but she limped for a couple of months. I had x-rays done after the cut healed because she was still limping. The vet couldn't find anything wrong and was at a loss as to what was causing the limping. She was on antibiotics and pain killers for a few weeks and finally she just stopped limping.

The point of my long post is that it could be something simple and nothing to worry about. Please keep us updated.

Rhonda

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-30-2008, 05:10 PM
Curmudgeon

She had thrush all winter? I assume you've been trying to treat it with something. We've used Coppertox and cleared it up within a couple of weeks whenever we've seen it.

I don't want this to seem like an attack on you, I'm just concerned that it seems like an awful long time to let something like that go on.

I don't blame you for being worried, I'm anal about hoof care and freak out over the slightest smells..

Are there any dry stalls or bedding you can keep her locked in for awhile?

Bob

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-30-2008, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

Bob, I'm sure you aren't trying to attack me. I try to take everyone's advice or word's as kind ones here. Maybe the way I described my story when I first wrote, well, maybe it came across a bit wrong because I was upset and crying. Yes, to have thrush all winter is a very long time. Where I boarded her, there was just nowhere to get her out of the "wet" spots. And before you scold me, boarding here in the Tri-cities is scarce. I was lucky to have found my new boarding when I was asked to move this last weekend. At first, when she started to hold her foot up when she was eating, I was told that it was just something that some horses do when they ate. This came from someone who raised, boarded and owned horses. I trusted them. Plus, I had had her looked at by my farrier, he said he could find nothing wrong. I had my vet look at her too, he said she might have a touch of thrush, said to treat her with a bleach/water mix. I did that once and just didn't like that. I felt like she deserved better. So I went to the feed store and got the very best that was out on the market and started treating her. Next farrier visit, he looked at her again, different farrier, said she did have thrush, told me how to treat, said I definitely had the right stuff to treat with, but to treat more often. Now, I have her in a dryer atmosphere, the thrush is gone, she has been looked at by the vet again, and he doesn't think it is thrush. And we are into x-rays. I treat my animals when they are sick with kid gloves. They are my babies and when they need the vet, I get them there. But when it is wet over here, and no boarding, it just can't be helped. I did my best, I really did. Believe me, I feel horrible about this. If this hoof problem is my fault, I will never forgive myself. I just pray that it can be fixed. If I could have found this new boarding place earlier, I would have. I just didn't know.
Rhonda, thanks for the kind words and hopeful words I needed them! As you can see, I am a mess!

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-30-2008, 07:02 PM
Curmudgeon

Charlene,

Animals get sick, ...it happens. You should be commended because of the care you show your animals. I know that large animal vets and farriers aren't cheap.

From your first post, I was concerned about the care your animals were getting from where you boarded them, not from you. Personally, a horse lifting it's hoof means its time for a hoof exam, ...a serious one. I've had issues with laminitis before, so I always jump on the slightest thing...

Bob

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.