Yikes! Interesting night - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Hooved Animal Discussion For all you hooved animal lovers.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-26-2007, 02:32 AM Thread Starter
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Thumbs down Yikes! Interesting night

My cousin Kerry's horse had a filly tonight about 9:30pm. Kerry calls me all excited, it's her first time having a foal. About 10:45 the phone rings again. The baby isn't nursing. No biggie, sometimes it takes a couple hours. I could tell she was concerned so I offered to go over to take a look and help her out. I get there about 11:15. The baby won't nurse and acts as if it has no clue. We wait and wait, nothing. The filly tries to suckle on our fingers and acts hungry but has no clue how to suckle from the mare, or even try. After awhile we decided to milk the mare and try that. Just try to get enough in the filly so we wouldn't be worrying all night. We milked out the mare a little and tried the bottle. Nope, not happening. In the meantime we hear a little pig squealing on the other side of the barn. What the heck? The sow wasn't due until next week!! So, over we go to the pigs' pen and baby pigs are squirting out left and right. I have no clue about pigs. I've raised them after they're old enough to leave their mom but never actually been involved in pigs giving birth. I've been around cows, sheep, goats, dogs, and horses giving birth, but not pigs!

I do know you have to separate the sow and piglets after they nurse so the mom doesn't squish them, but the rest, I have no clue! Something else I learned tonight is that the needle teeth on the piglets have to be clipped as soon as possible. Well, as soon as we started picking up the piglets one started squealing and then they all started squealing. I thought they would quiet down after a minute, but oh no! And when piglets are scared they tend to poop...well, my good coat was covered in poop!

Somehow my real quick trip to check on the filly turned into a 3 hour ordeal that ended with me covered in pig poop. Note to self, keep my barn coat in my truck at all times just in case!

Oh my gosh those little pigs are so darn cute! I wanted to swipe one of them but changed my mind after all the squealing and coat pooping!

During the whole pig delivery fiasco the filly starts to figure out where to go to get milk, so I feel a little better. She was about 4 hours old by the time I left and I would hope that she figures it out soon! My cousin is going to spend the night in the barn to make sure. On a bad note, I think the foal is a lethal white. She does have some faint brown markings on one ear and a little on her back so it's hard to tell. Lethal whites can still have a little bit of color, yet all the problems. We should know within the next 24 hours if the foal is a true lethal white or just a white horse.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rhonda
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-26-2007, 03:51 AM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

What a crazy night!!!

I hope everything goes okay.

*Missy*
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-26-2007, 06:29 AM
Poo dont scare me!!!

Wow I bet you didnt expect all of that!! It sounds like you guys got it all under control though! Hopefully the baby is just a white horse too! And the piglets sound so cute, except the pooping part! LOL!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-26-2007, 07:19 AM
Stinky Liverbrain

LOL! That is so funny!!! And let me tell you, I was bitten by a piglet once when I was trying to pull it out of it's mother... those little teeth sure are sharp!!!

I do hope that the foal is just a regular white horse. *crossing fingers*

Dimaris

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-26-2007, 09:54 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

Sounds like quite an adventure! I hope baby is okay. A friend of mine has paints, so I've picked up on the gist of lethal white and I'm sorry that's a possibility. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that she's healthy!

---------------------------
Millie
Mom to 2 crazy kitties and 1 African Clawed frog.

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-26-2007, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

The filly had to be put to sleep at 7am this morning. Just as I had thought, she was a lethal white.

Rhonda

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-26-2007, 11:55 AM
Leo
Driving Diva

I am so sorry for their loss .

~Ignorance can be cured with education~

Mom to:
A little girl (6) and a little boy (4), and 2 dogs
Leo and
Gunner

Proud Coastie Sister!!
My brother is in Virginia at FT school !!

RIP Ed
October 2000-November 2007
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-26-2007, 12:33 PM
Poo dont scare me!!!

Sorry Rhonda!

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-26-2007, 01:36 PM
Will It Ever Change?

wow thats intense!!! i hear pig poo really stinks, the raw poo smell? i can stand everything else lol

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-26-2007, 02:38 PM
Oily Chickenspew

i'm sorry bout the lil foal ..but to the piggys

Tara
Andy-Chinchilla
Jaws & Chomper-Firebellied Toads Senor-Tiger Salamander
Merlin-Crowntail Betta Harry Potter-Mystery Snail
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-26-2007, 02:53 PM
Title Thief Victim

Aww..thats horrible about the lil foal...I have been pooped on by a piggy once! not fun! how many piglets she have?

Carissasaurus Rex

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-26-2007, 03:00 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Aww I'm sorry about the foal, what exactly is a lethal white?

OOOO and baby pigs are cute I've held them before

Life's not about how to survive the storm, It's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Momma to: 2 human children Audree (2) and Jacob (7 mo.)
3 Doggies: Angel (13), Cricket (1), and Diesel (4mo.)
1 Kitty: Mazey (Age unknown)
2 ferrets - Mocha and Marshall
1 bunny - Ice

Working to make a change, one paw at a time!
Volunteer - Skinny Little Buddy's Rescue
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-26-2007, 06:37 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

aw im sorry.

[/CENTER]

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-26-2007, 09:12 PM
Oily Chickenspew

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel_baby
Aww I'm sorry about the foal, what exactly is a lethal white?
Overo Lethal White Syndrom

Tara
Andy-Chinchilla
Jaws & Chomper-Firebellied Toads Senor-Tiger Salamander
Merlin-Crowntail Betta Harry Potter-Mystery Snail
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-26-2007, 11:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carissa
how many piglets she have?
There were 6 piglets when I left and apparently she was all done at that point. I didn't think the piglets' poop on my coat smelled at all. A little sticky maybe, but not smelly. I would much rather have baby pig poop on me than adult pig poop!

Kerry has another foal due in about 2 weeks and I'm a little nervous for her possibly having another lethal white because it's another Overo/Overo cross. I told her when she got that stud that she shouldn't breed him to her Overo mares. Hopefully she'll sell him and get a Tobiano next time. It's too bad because he's a nice stud.

Rhonda