Is your horse a treat head? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Hooved Animal Discussion For all you hooved animal lovers.

View Poll Results: Is your horse a treat head?
Yepp!! 6 75.00%
No... 2 25.00%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
Proud New Mommy

Is your horse a treat head?

So much peer pressure! Everytime I go horseback riding, my aunt and unkle chop up carrots for their horses.

I see nothing wrong with the fact that that's how they choose to enjoy their horses and reward their horses but they PRESSURE me into giving Trix her share. They swear I am sheltering her from a wonderous world of treats and enjoyment.

The problems:
Trix has NEVER walked up to me to smell my pocket and get discusted when I have nothing to give her.

A scratch has always been enough of a reward for her.

She has NEVER nudged my hand looking for carrots.

The last time we went riding she LOOKED for treats because she knows thats when she gets them (or has recently).. When I didn't have a carrot, she was litterally discusted.

Treats can be good for them-- I plan on hiding some homemade ones throughout the pasture in the trees and whatnot to relieve boredom but when your horse walks up to you looking for a treat and walks away when she realizes you don't have one... You know it's just gone way too far

I am going to have to put my foot down next ride... She is only getting one little piece and that's only because she's giong to see the rest eating-- I don't want her to feel left out. But none of this handful of treats-- she's getting pushy about it and disrespectful.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Live your beliefs and you can turn the world around"- Henry David Thoreau
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 11:39 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

I always give them a handful of grain for a reward when I whistle and they come running. They usually get some small reward after a ride. Once in awhile I'll give them an apple or carrot for no special reason.

Rhonda

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-02-2006, 12:31 PM
Mud
Part of the Pack

i like to give my baby girl a treat every now and then, carrots, pineapple and water-melon when we have it. also when i whistle for her and she comes i give her a treat. when i am clipping her or braiding her mane or tail i give her a small treat if she was good and stood still for me. although i can't braid her mane anymore cause i roached it a few weeks ago.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-03-2006, 01:42 PM
Adolescent Pup

I give all they horses treats and they dont walk away if i dont have one, i think im known as the treat lady, but they never walk away if i dont have one, i wonder why yours does

"Heres to the liars and the cheaters and the cold mistreaters, to the mamas boys who cant make a stand, heres to the superficial players the "i love ya" too-soon-sayers, if you hear me girls raise your hand, lets have a toast, heres to findin' a good man!"- Danielle Peck
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-03-2006, 01:52 PM
Guarded by Waffles

My dads horse knows which pocket we keep the teats in. Winter, my horse, however, could care less as long as she got something after I rode her, which is usually a handful of bran.

Christine
Mommy to:
2 cats: Suess and Jezebel
2 horses: Winter and Junior
3 dogs: Panda, Maggie, Snoopy

And the rest:
5 cows, a bull and one mean buffalo

Gone but not forgotten:
Jester, cat
Waffles, dog
Gunny, ferret

Check out
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-27-2006, 08:14 AM
Playful Pup

of corse mine are lol

{My mad Zoo}

2 Horses = Billy and Darci

1 Cat = Tibbs

3 Goldfish (Silvabullet sadly died
but never forgoten
) Sphere, Rounda and Jazz
NEW 22 baby goldfish