Adopting land and/or wild animals - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Animals in the Wild Want to share something about a wild or endangered animal? Look here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-23-2004, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Princess in Waiting

Adopting land and/or wild animals

Does anyone besides me get these things in their e-mail to adopt a certain amount of acerage or a certain wild animal, and in return for your animal you get a stuffed animal, a cup, newsletters, etc.? I got one today that was really neat, but I'd be broke if I contributed to everyone that was sent to me.

Just wondering if anyone had inspected any of them and found them to be really worthwhile or if they seem a bit "shady".

CRITTERCALL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-25-2004, 08:56 PM

never recieved any my self but yes i would be very leary of it i would do some major checking start with better buisness bureua
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-28-2004, 12:40 AM

hmm...I have never heard of this either....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-20-2005, 11:20 AM

I don't like the sounds of "adopting" land. There are very good ligitimate organizations that encourage the "adoption" of wild animals as a sponsorship.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
Princess in Waiting

Kinda makes me think of the Seinfeld episode where Kramer "adopted" a portion of a highway and wreaked all sorts of habit by changing the speed limit, changing it from three lanes to two, etc. I can see the benefit of a group that goes in and helps to clean a certain area (i.e. playgrounds, etc.) but I personally don't have the money to just toss around like that!

I have done the Adopt a Manatee thing for my daughter several years ago. Their office isn't far from my house, and I am really glad to see that the efforts of their organization has helped to decrease the number of manatees killed needlessly each year. However, I was very disappointed when I volunteered work with them and never received a phone call.

CRITTERCALL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 09:28 PM
Curmudgeon

It depends on the organization. I get those email solicitations all the time too. I think once your name gets on a pro-environmental list, you can get inundated by them.

Those aren't the type of charites I donate to. If I WERE inclined to donate that way, I'd thoroughly check them out because, I agree, some of them sound a bit "dodgy".

Unless it's a local charity I know well, I usually give (as I have for almost 20 yrs) to the Peregrine Fund and the World Center for Birds of Prey.

In case anyone one is interested (it's a great website even if you aren't going to donate!):
http://www.peregrinefund.org

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-22-2005, 08:46 AM Thread Starter
Princess in Waiting

I'll check that out. When I lived in Lexington there was a nesting place for the peregrins on top of one of the buildings downtown with a camera focused on it. One channel showed "Falcon TV" all day! I've dealth with several birds of prey but never a peregrin.

Close to where I live now (in FL) there is a Birds of Prey center that is pretty neat. All of the birds there have been rehabbed as much as possible, but for one reason or another were not good candidates for release. It's a great way to see some of those guys up close that you might never see (except way off in the sky) otherwise.

Thanks for sharing!

Critter

CRITTERCALL

Tags
stuffed animal, wild animal, wild animals