Animal Activists - Page 2 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Animals in the Wild Want to share something about a wild or endangered animal? Look here!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-31-2008, 08:05 AM
Hello Earthling

I think most people are against fur farms.I included.

I have to agree with Binky fur looks terrible on anything but the animals.The only fur I ca stand people wearing is where the whole animal has been used and they need that fur to survive and they respect the animal.

My mom has a fur coat as much as I would like to throw paint on it I think I would get in a boat of trouble and same if I did that to anyone else.The only fur I have is still stuck to my Kibbles and Kiwi and their much nicer and warm than any fur blanket.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-31-2008, 08:12 AM
Princess in Waiting

I have to admit that I had a fur coat YEARS ago (don't need it in FL!), gave it to my Mom. It's probably in her closet now with all the fur fallen off because it hasn't been "properly stored" in forever. Oh well - the g'daughters would love to play with it!!

It's hard for me to believe now that I once wanted a storm coat that was made with raccoon. (Canvas on one side, fur on the other - reversible in case you don't know) I absolutely LOVE raccoons now. My husband had to practically drag me out of a store once that sold "coonskin" caps that were made from real raccoons. I was crying and ready to go after whoever was working there!!

CRITTERCALL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
post #18 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-31-2008, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

So it's not okay to have a pair of lether boots, or to have a lamb coat or lamb blanket?
I would LOVE to have a whole cow skin - bronw and white.

And what about seal coats, if you know it's from somwhere where they use the whole seal, and sell the skin to get some money?

I would only buy danish fur coats though, because then I know how the animals was treated.
But what is so wrong about that?

I still belive fur farms are better than the alternative - killing all the wild animals.
As long as the animal had a nice life, and was killed humanly, I really can't see the problem...

This might sound weird in some peoples ears, but actually I prefer the "real" stuff instead of the fake stuff.
So much of the fake things are made in china, and they don't have any rules, so all the cemicals are just dumped right into the water.
Actually I am thinking about boycutting all china-made stuff because of this.

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo

Last edited by Chinchi; 08-31-2008 at 01:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-31-2008, 03:53 PM
Princess in Waiting

I have a Canadian friend who refuses to buy anything made in China - and she buys a bunch of toys for her dogs so that means some extra shopping for her.

When I had a mink coat it was at a different point in my life and lifestyle. It fit what I was then; we change as we get older.

My son-in-law and I have an unspoken agreement that we've agreed to disagree about hunting. Having raised deer I have problems with him going out to hunt them. I don't have a real appreciation of the deer head on the living room wall in their house. BUT - he does clean the deer and either eats the meat or gives it away to someone else who does.

I haven't read a lot about fur farms, so I can't give an educated opinion of them. I know more about the horrors of puppy mills.

CRITTERCALL

post #20 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-31-2008, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

I think some hunting is okay, and some is wrong.
Over here it's a law to have a dog with you when you hunt, so it can find the animal.
I don't mind when people hunt and kill to hold the population of a sertan species down, or if you eat the whole thing.
I do however mind, those who just go out there and shoot like crazy, but don't really have any respect for the animals.
In my mind, a true hunter is one who can apriciate nature, and try not to destroy things, but just kills what he or she can eat or give away.

Maybe I should mention, that most of the meat I eat is from local farmers, where we know the animals, and then we get wild animals, who lived a nice life

/Pia

Breeding since 2005

post #21 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-31-2008, 04:04 PM
Princess in Waiting

I agree with that theory about hunting, Pia. Hunt what you need or use. I see it more as a way of life than a sport.

CRITTERCALL

post #22 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-31-2008, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

Igreed.
When the word "sport" is used when talking abut hunting, I get a bit sick to my tummy...

/Pia

Breeding since 2005

post #23 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-31-2008, 04:23 PM
is a little "special"

I completly disegree with fur... whether its farm raised or wild cought, its totally unnessecary for fashion purposes.
I do admit tho, when I was really little and I didnt know what they did to the animals (I thought they just took fur off of random already-dead animals in the woods and such XD) I bought a bunny fur. I was gonna bury it now, but its one of Smudges fav toys. ^^ So it has a good use I guess.
I hate all hunting... I think its absolutly sick to go around killing animals for the fun of it. Animal heads on walls and stuff make me wanna puke too... I dont get how someone can stand to look into the face of an animal they cruely killed. :C

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #24 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-31-2008, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

Jess:
I understand where you are comming from, but try reading my and Crittercall's last posts.
Here you will se that not all "kill for fun", and to just assume this is very wrong!
As an eksample, sometimes people have to kill animals to avoid overpopulation. If the population is allowed to just run wild, many animals would die of starwation.
Is it still wrong, in your opinion, to kill some of the animals (like some of the old males or weak animals), in a human way?
Personally I can't see the problem with this, and honestly I like eating meat from these animals, and using their fur...

/Pia

Breeding since 2005

post #25 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-31-2008, 06:01 PM
Obsessed with Criss Angel

On the subject of; mentioning wearing chinchilla...I had chinchillas in the past.I'm outraged at the very thought.
Wearing leather& such? Um...not I.
I don't wear leather,fur,silk,suede,wool...you name it,its not on me.
I think it looks absolutely grotesque for humans to wear fur,& I second the not shaving route if you want hair on you.

I'm actually quite proud of my activism.I'm not going to do anything extremist to get my point across,but if i'm passionate about something,i'm doing something about it.It's just me.I'm quite ok with having people hating me for that if they must,or loving me for it.

On the subject of China...yes,I was really against the Olympics& the like.The chinese government i'm not a fan of.Very much into the freedom of Tibet.
Gah; lack of human rights tick me off as well.

My products are normally non-slave trade made& humane whenever possible with slight exceptions i'm sure as I'm human.
But man; i'm way too into D.i.Y [do it yourself] at the moment.

Hunting...I would never do it.Then again,I don't eat the stuff.If your going to hunt,use the whole animal.Don't kill "X number of things" & let some carcasses rot.Use them.What you can't eat yourself donate to someone who will.

post #26 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-31-2008, 06:14 PM
is a little "special"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinchi View Post
Jess:
I understand where you are comming from, but try reading my and Crittercall's last posts.
Here you will se that not all "kill for fun", and to just assume this is very wrong!
As an eksample, sometimes people have to kill animals to avoid overpopulation. If the population is allowed to just run wild, many animals would die of starwation.
Is it still wrong, in your opinion, to kill some of the animals (like some of the old males or weak animals), in a human way?
Personally I can't see the problem with this, and honestly I like eating meat from these animals, and using their fur...
If some one humanly kills the old, weak, or sick animals to control the population, thats different than the hunters who kill the biggest, strongest buck they can find for a trophy. Its better for the species if the weak animals are killed cuz of overpopulation I guess, because the cougars and whatnot would just kill them any way, so I dont have as much of a problem with that. But trophy hunting for the biggest and best animal isnt really good for any one in my opinion.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #27 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-31-2008, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

Oh, you were talking about trophy hunting?
Yeah, that's just sick...
Like people who come to africa to hunt big game... so awful
They should hunt them because they want to eat them and be "one" with nature. Not because they want to show how macho they are when killing the biggest and badest bull

/Pia

Breeding since 2005

post #28 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-31-2008, 06:49 PM
is a little "special"

Yeah, trophy hunting is definatly one of the worst things out there.
I was looking up pictres of cheetahs, adn there was one pic of some one holding a dead sheetah going on about how fun cheetah hunt are... wtf?? There are hardly any cheetas left in the world, and people are leading HUNTS for them to make some money! Its aweful.

post #29 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-31-2008, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

I've seen two wild cheetas in Kenya ^_^
That was SO big!
We saw some lions with cubs, and a rhino with a calf (sp?) too - that was SO nice... Everybody shoud go on a photo safari if they had the chance..
Eaven though the americans down there were very annoying, they kept yelling every time they saw an animal, scaring them away
So annoying when stupid people go on those trips, especially when they some from contries where you might think they are a bit stupid and owerweight, and you only get that confirmed... (I don't think amaricans are stupid in general - you'll find those people all over the world )

I remember a danish program a while back. I think it was 4 older ladies who wanted to go game hunting in africa.
I didn't like that program at all, but one of them especially ticked me off.
She wanted to kill a big male baboon. Her reason for wanting a baboon was that she thought these were very ugly and agressive animals, and should just be shot.
One of the things she pointed out was when the grownups get mad at the young baboons and hit or bite the - for this a big male needed to die... So, so wrong!

/Pia

Breeding since 2005

post #30 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-31-2008, 07:44 PM
Betta Bomb

im totally against the sport killing of any animal,i would love to someday go to Africa or Australia to see some wild elephants or tigers(etc.),its the fault of poachers that i may never see them in the wild...

but i do sense there is little bit of nationalism goin on here,Chinchi,we know your danish and that your proud of your heritage but im from Newfoundland ,so is Candyraver and a few others here,its in Canada-not the US- so i cant understand why you keep mentioning bad qualities from the US and comparing them to your own counties standards.ex:"especially when they some from contries where you might think they are a bit stupid and owerweight," thats your own quote and no,not every country is "perfect" like yours,but have some respect! i dont agree with what our government is implying nor do i support anyones else's government but i do think you agree that the government in Canada and the US is stupid so you talk down to us,like we can really help the idiots that run our country.that doesnt mean that all citizens are overweight and stupid.....actually your comment made me laugh because its such a nationalistic remark as if all countries are rotten apples except yours. *ahem* im not saying anything terrible about you or your precious home(b/c im too "stupid" to come up with a good one) im suggesting to maybe lay off a little with your customs and how much greater and awesome it is from everybody else..maybe its just my opinion but its very evident,girl.
Closed Thread

Tags
mink