Baby birds - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Animals in the Wild Want to share something about a wild or endangered animal? Look here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-03-2002, 02:21 PM
Jorgha

Baby birds

Well, Christi put this section up just in time.
Have a situation here thanks to one of my wonderful little children.

Right by our front door is a tree/bush thing. I forget what Tony told us it was, but it falls into the evergreen catagory. Anyway, there was a birds nest in it with 4 baby birds. I found out about the nest today.

One of my children decided it would be neat to bring the baby birds into the house. Yea. Brilliant huh? The birds were put in a trick or treat pumpkin with leaves and grass and stuff and the original nest was distroyed.

I took the pumpkin and put it in the tree as close to the nest as I could hoping that the mother bird will find them.

So what are these little guys chances now that the kids have screwed with them?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-03-2002, 02:32 PM

I am not sure how true this is, but from what I have always been told (from when I was a kid and did basically the same thing) once they are fooled with the mother will ignore them.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-03-2002, 04:16 PM

I think it depends on the species of bird too. We had a robin who's baby fell out ot a tree , my dad put it in a cage settup and ran it out on the clothes line. The mother continued to feed it. I think it just depends. Try calling your local wildlife rehab facility they can probably help you more. They will want to know if you know the type of bird it is and what stage of development the baby is at ie. does it have any feathers yet etc.

Tags
baby birds