baby bluejay need help! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Animals in the Wild Want to share something about a wild or endangered animal? Look here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-27-2007, 09:27 PM Thread Starter

baby bluejay need help!

Hey,
Well I have taken care of many birds in the past but I'm best with sparrows of really any kind. But I just found a blue jay.....

I'm also stuck because its pretty old for when i usually get a baby..

I'm not exactly sure how old but it has fuz on head, top of wings, and most of the back.

It does have some adult wings on the tail, and ends of wings but only about 2 to 2 1/2 inches long maybe a little shorter...

It can fly about [from what i could see] 1 to 2 feet high...

Now my problems are should i feed it dry kitten food soaked in warm water [ like i do with the sparrows for the first 2 to 3 weeks ] or worms? or should i open and ground seeds? Another is should i just leave it outside?

I have him in a cage right now because we have many wild cats and i think somthing else.. I'm not sure what else but something cought a baby rabbit and killed it in my yard a couple nights ago.. ( =[ ) It may have been the cats but to be sure I but the baby in a cage.

The cage is what I used for adult sparrows so it should be good. The parents havent left the abby so I felt kind of bad taking him.

Also im in the areas of the US that are geting some thunder storms tonight so i covered the cage and put a towel a little on the sides. I wasnt sure if the rain would kill it because of the cold. Its got a lot of baby fuz and i dont think it will repel much water..

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME!
THANKYOU SO MUCH!

should I just let her back out...?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-27-2007, 09:42 PM
Princess in Waiting

Sounds like you are doing everything right. Does he have enough feathers to make sure that he stays warm? Don't know how you kept your sparrow babies warm; I always raised baby birds up to a certain point in a bowl-shaped dish inside a covered box with a heating pad under it.

If he is receptive to the soaked kitten chow I'd stay with that for a bit. The downside of worms would be having to grind them up so that they would seem to be regurgitated like the Mama would give it.

I can't remember - I think this guy is primarily a seed eater isn't he? You might leave some bird seed in the cage with him all the time and offer the kitten chow a few times a day.

Good luck! Baby birds are tough and if you've been succesful with them in the past you have my admiration. Let me know how it goes!!

CRITTERCALL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-27-2007, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

Thanx and thats true i may put him in the garagebecause of the rain but most birds were in the summer and im in new york n the summer nights are hot too.. =/ but thankyou ! =]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-27-2007, 10:03 PM
Princess in Waiting

Anytime - I miss all the wildlife but have a good memory!!

Let me know how this guy does.

CRITTERCALL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-27-2007, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

i will =]
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-27-2007, 10:22 PM Thread Starter

im sorry to say i realli am but my i fear she may die of fright if i bring her in.... but she wasnt moving her head much and seemed to let her head move anywhere. I jus checked on her and she went in the nest i made her but i fear she might not make the night.. =[

Hopefully she/he does... please keep her/him in your wishes and prayers!

this is gonna be one hard night to try and fall asleep =[
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 01:53 AM
laugh often

I don't know much about birds but I wish you nd the bird the best.

When I'm down my pets turns my frown upside down

2 Dogs: Harley and Diesel
2 rabbits: Mystic and Thumper
1 Cat- Luna
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyHorse View Post
Hey,
Well I have taken care of many birds in the past but I'm best with sparrows of really any kind. But I just found a blue jay.....

I'm also stuck because its pretty old for when i usually get a baby..

I'm not exactly sure how old but it has fuz on head, top of wings, and most of the back.

It does have some adult wings on the tail, and ends of wings but only about 2 to 2 1/2 inches long maybe a little shorter...

It can fly about [from what i could see] 1 to 2 feet high...

Now my problems are should i feed it dry kitten food soaked in warm water [ like i do with the sparrows for the first 2 to 3 weeks ] or worms? or should i open and ground seeds? Another is should i just leave it outside?

I have him in a cage right now because we have many wild cats and i think somthing else.. I'm not sure what else but something cought a baby rabbit and killed it in my yard a couple nights ago.. ( =[ ) It may have been the cats but to be sure I but the baby in a cage.

The cage is what I used for adult sparrows so it should be good. The parents havent left the abby so I felt kind of bad taking him.

Also im in the areas of the US that are geting some thunder storms tonight so i covered the cage and put a towel a little on the sides. I wasnt sure if the rain would kill it because of the cold. Its got a lot of baby fuz and i dont think it will repel much water..

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME!
THANKYOU SO MUCH!

should I just let her back out...?

I raised blue-jays before. I put them(two) in an old bird cage and had it hang from the ceiling of our porch. I then placed sticks in there so they could hop on and off it, and also so the parents could feed them. The parents did come and stand on the sticks and fed their babies every day. I did how-ever bring them in at night since they do not eat at night. I used a straw to give them water and also used mushy bread as a food since I didn't have a cage at first(it was stored away in the garage.) The parents from what I learned on-line recognized their young one's cries.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 07:54 PM

yeah I have heard that the bread gives a quick improvement in the little ones but that it doesn't last and that cat food is better for the protein. I have your little one in my thoughts, I hope everything goes ok. I would consider bringing in at night if it gets even just cool. Do you have a spare room or even a garage you can put it in? You might try giving seeds or meal worms just to see if it'll take them, if it can sort of hop around and fly around it might be able to take them.

Tags
baby birds, heating pad, kitten food