baby bunnies!! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Animals in the Wild Want to share something about a wild or endangered animal? Look here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-09-2003, 09:54 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

baby bunnies!!

Ack!! My neighbor ran over a nest of bunnies and my step-father came running in, telling me to wake up, he needed help!

They already had them in a box and the babies were jumping around. I called a rehabber and then Crittercall and am about to go put them back where they were, but I just HAD to share a picture!

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-09-2003, 10:03 AM

they are very cute. I hope they end up ok.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-09-2003, 10:05 AM

I hope they are okay but I have read that rehabbing baby rabbits usually doesn't go so well. Good luck!

Last edited by lvnmycritters; 05-09-2003 at 10:07 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-09-2003, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

That's what I've heard too, which is why I put them back for the momma. We'll see. I wish they hadn't moved them, but ...

If nothing else, I'm prepared to try. I have handfeeding supplies here for the chins that I can use.

Stephanie

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-09-2003, 10:19 AM

Awee too adorable, I wish them luck and I hope they make it and Jade GL if you end up having to hand feed them,
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-09-2003, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Well, the rehabber just gave me a call back. She said putting them back was absolutely the right thing, and that mom won't come back to feed them until dusk and even then she's probably only feeding them twice a night since their eyes are open. I'm going to go mark the nest with some dental floss so that we'll know if she comes back or not and check on them tonight.

She also mentioned that mom rejecting the babies is not at all likely since they're to this stage of development. She's already bonded to them and should continue to care for them!

Quote:
Gestation is about 28 days long. The doe will prepare a nest near the base of a tree, root, rock, or along the edge of a wall or other man made object, where the soil suits her. She will dig a hole about four inches deep and up to eight inches long. She will line the hole with bits of dried grass and fur that she pulls from her body. The mother rabbit will give birth to as many as three to nine young, with an average of four. The doe will then cover the nest with dry grasses, and leave the area. The babies will remain in the nest, while the doe purposely stays away to keep the location of the nest a secret from predators. Mom will only return to feed the young at night. She will squat over the hole while the babies instinctively reach up to nurse. At only a few days of age the eyes and ears open. At 10 days of age the young begin to sample the grass just outside the den entrance.

At three to four weeks of age the young are weaned, and the small white spot of fur on their forehead usually begins to disappear. By the 4th and 5th week they are on their own, and their mother does not return. At this stage they are about six inches long and their only defense is to sit absolutely still in hopes to avoid discovery by a predator. When danger gets too close, they will try to run to the safety of cover. As soon as the doe has covered her new young in one nest, she will immediately mate again.

Source

Stephanie

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-09-2003, 10:49 PM

Wow! I hope the Mom comes back!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-13-2003, 10:18 AM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

They are so cute!

Did mom come back?

Rhonda

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-13-2003, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Mom moved the entire nest. They were gone the next morning.

Stephanie