Baby Sparrow - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Animals in the Wild Want to share something about a wild or endangered animal? Look here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-29-2003, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
Incubator Cricket Killer

Question Baby Sparrow

I'm going to go rescue a baby sparrow someone found. It's got it's feathers and nothing is obviously wrong with it but it can't fly yet because it's still too small I guess. Anything you guys can tell me? I'm thinking of bread soaked in water or a bit of milk to feed it, anything you can tell me would be great! Gotta go get him!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-29-2003, 03:37 PM
I Think I Need a Bigger Bear

Good for you Becki!

I've heard cat food, a little egg & a little water...all mixed in a blender. When I found those baby birds one of the rescuers told me to feed it either that or wet cat food. Mmmm, sounds good, huh? lol

I'm sure you know this, but be sure to keep them warm too.

Good luck...keep us posted!

Oh yeah, and how about a pic or two???

~ Jodi ~

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-29-2003, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Incubator Cricket Killer

Ugh, it's got mites! I haven't seen it yet, Ira is on his way home with it as we speak. I know there's mite spray you can buy for birds, but is there any home remedy type of thing I could do for tonite? The last thing I need is a mite infestation... :-/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-29-2003, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
Incubator Cricket Killer

ok, I think I've got it under control, soaked dogfood mushed up with a little nutrical for tonight and tomorrow morning, real baby bird food (and mite spray!) from petco tomorrow afternoon. How often should I feed, just whenever the crop feels empty? Its been quite a while since I've handfed a baby bird! And what should I feed it when it's done with mush, seeds or bugs?

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-29-2003, 07:43 PM

Hey Becki, I found some links that might be helpful...

http://www2.gol.com/users/shinoki/sparrow.html

http://www.geocities.com/drosera123/

http://aztec.asu.edu/phxzoo/old/faqbirds.html

http://www.volusia.org/birding/advice.htm

They all tell ya what to feed them & how to care for them. That birdie is so lucky to have you looking out for him!

Good luck Becki.......

~ Jodi ~

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-29-2003, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Incubator Cricket Killer

Great! Thank you!
What about the mites? The bird is COVERED with them..not like alot of mites, like coated...especially on his head. I can't get him to open his mouth an he rarely opens his eyes...I think because of the mites. He isn't lethargic or anything, but I'm afraid the mites might just be too much, there are sooo many

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-29-2003, 08:45 PM
Princess in Waiting

Cool

Sorry I didn't see this earlier today - still recovering from my trip.

My experience has told me NO to the hand-feeding formula for baby birds. I've never been able to get one to eat it for any length of time and they never seem to thrive on it. My standard food for baby birds was kitten chow, soaked in hot water until it is soft but you can still pick it up piece by piece and put it in his mouth.

I've never had that problem with mites. Yuck. Do you have a local avian vet or rehab center that could give you advice on those? I don't know if they are "blood suckers" like fleas & ticks - although by now you probably know ten times more about them than I do.

Of course keeping it warm and dry is standard advice for any wild animal - and safe from your pets. Try to handle it as little as possible (not hard with those mites, huh). Let us know how it goes! Baby song birds are not the easiest things to raise.

CRITTERCALL

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-30-2003, 01:28 AM Thread Starter
Incubator Cricket Killer

The story behind the bird..

Ok, finally a break! Here's how the little one came to be in my care; Ira's dad works for the city, so someone found the little guy and brought him into city hall, so he calls me and says Want a bird? It was either bring him home to me or animal control was going to euthanize it, so... guess who's got a baby bird to try to keep alive

I spoke with a woman at the wild bird sanctuary (the same one that wouldn't help me with the barn owl a while back ) and she said just keep doing what I'm doing, keep him warm, make seeds and bugs available and in the next week or so he should start eating on his own. She also said that the mite spray would be just fine to spray him with (thank god). I am a little confused though, my dad was a tree trimmer when I was a kid, so we ALWAYS had a nest full of baby something-or-others that my mom would try to raise, and was RARELY successful, So I know first hand how tough it can be but this woman I talked to was just as casual as can be "just do this or that or the other thing..." and made it sound like no big deal. I'm not sure if she didn't care because it's just a sparrow, or if I'd already learned everything I needed... Those people are pretty much worthless...sigh...

So that's the birdie story, keep your fingers crossed for the little guy! Thank you sooo much Jodi for all the links and stuff, they were very helpful!!

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-30-2003, 09:32 AM
Kansas City Chinchillas

I raised a baby sparrow to adulthood a long time ago. It was a great experience. I did not feed what you are feeding. I used human baby rice cereal fed with a dropper. Mix cereal with water to a thin consistancy. Do not use milk. I would not use dog or cat food because birds do not eat any of the same things that birds do. The bird will become accustomed to being fed with a dropper and enjoy it. Feed a little every hour or two. Make sure you have water available in the cage but I think it will get most of the water from the cereal you feed. Water is very important. When the baby is old enough feed flies and worms you must cut the worms up. The baby I raised followed me while I swatted flies for it and ate them. I hope the sparrow does well, it's good of you to try to help it.

-----Cathy

Cathy
Kansas City Chinchillas

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-30-2003, 09:56 AM
Princess in Waiting

Bottom line - Good Luck! Everyone seems to have been taught (or taught themselves) a different method that works for them. And the same thing doesn't work for every bird.

Have you checked his wings, etc., to make sure that he isn't injured? (Dumb question but I have to ask). Could be he was trying to learn to fly and had an accident.

Keep us posted.

CRITTERCALL

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-30-2003, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
Incubator Cricket Killer

Thanky you Cathy! Critter, no injuries that I can see, he can flap his wings fine, not enough to fly, but enough to see that they work. Every site I've been to says that if you find a baby bird in this stage LEAVE IT ALONE! Sigh...these mites are driving me insane!

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-30-2003, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Incubator Cricket Killer

Thanks for all you help everyone! I'm just not a mommy bird I guess

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-02-2003, 09:53 AM

How did the rest of the weekend go Becki?

~ Jodi ~

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-02-2003, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
Incubator Cricket Killer

Not too well I'm afraid Thank you very much for the help and all those links though, that was just what I was looking for!

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-02-2003, 07:27 PM
Princess in Waiting

Cool

Sorry, Becki. At least you gave it your best shot! That's all any of us can hope for when it comes down to it.

CRITTERCALL

Tags
animal control, avian vet, baby birds, cat food, wet cat food, wild animal