Baby Vulture! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Animals in the Wild Want to share something about a wild or endangered animal? Look here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-16-2004, 11:28 PM Thread Starter

Baby Vulture!

Well, A couple of months ago Kenny & discovered that a black vulture had laid 2 eggs in one of our outbuildings on our land. One of the eggs didn't make it (there was a hole in it and no baby anywhere - we think something got to it ) but....yesterday we checked (we've been checking once a week) and guess what....we found a baby chick!!

Believe it or not, it's actually kinda cute, especially considering how the parents look!

Usually when we would come check on the egg, the mama would fly out and wait for us to leave. But when we checked the other day, and saw the baby, she never left. Just stood in front of the baby. She didn't make any threatening noises/postures, etc. But we only stayed for a minute or two because we didn't want to stress her.

Anyway, since the mama was standing in front of the baby & it's in a dark shed... it was really hard to get a good picture. This is what I got though....

Here is the mama on top of the shed ready to fly out (this is from a few weeks ago)

Here is the baby....

You can see how the baby was hiding behind the mama....

In this one the mama looks a little ticked, ya think? You can see the chick hiding behind her...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-16-2004, 11:38 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Oh how precious! I love seeing nature at it's most loving and protective, the innate mothering instinct in all species. Thanks for sharing, Jodi. You made me smile.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2004, 11:29 AM

How the heck did you get such a great picture so close! You take some awesome pictures Jodi! You're right the baby is very cute. We have lots of turkey vultures which I think are even uglier than the regular black ones.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2004, 12:17 PM

OMG! That is so neat. I don't know why but vultures scare me, lol. That's sweet how she was protecting her baby!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2004, 03:04 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Wow, I'm surprised you were able to get that close without mom attacking or flying away. Very neat pics!

Rhonda

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2004, 05:22 PM

I've never seen a vulture up close like that before Awesome pictures
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-28-2004, 08:22 AM

I cant view any pics jodi I dont know why but there are crosses where Im supposed to click on.
cheers
shaz
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-28-2004, 09:15 AM Thread Starter

Shaz, the thread is too old, they've been deleted.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-28-2004, 09:25 AM

tnx jodie if you have it still I would love to see the pics
cheers
shaz
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-28-2004, 09:40 AM Thread Starter

Here are the pics that I could find:
Vulture Pics
Fledging