baby....what??? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Animals in the Wild Want to share something about a wild or endangered animal? Look here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
Seeker of Orbs

baby....what???

hey, i hope this is the right place for this....

our neighbor was mowing and saw something tiny scurry out of the grass....and he found this--

There were TONS of them. that was just the TOP of the hole!
are they bunnies?? We couldn't figure it out...
He stopped mowing and covered them back up....whatever they are, i hope they survive.

~beth

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
thank you!--->

RIP hagrid. Pheonix! RIP, sweet piggie[/URL]

Dexter, chester, chester the 2nd, george, cinimon, tiny, DareDevil.may they rest in peace.

Dugan
bozo and zozzo, and tiny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 10:36 AM
can't think of one, help

they do kind of look like bunnies except the wrong color for wild bunnies, how big were they? can you keep an eye on the hole and see if the momma comes back? not sure what you can do if she doesn't
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 10:40 AM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

Don't you have some wild-rescus over there?
A place where you can bring wild animals too, if they get hurt, or other stuff like that...

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 11:56 AM
Princess in Waiting

The are most definitely bunnies and the wildlife rehabber in me says "Leave them alone!!". Mama bunny usually feeds them twice daily - early morning and about sundown - and spends the rest of the time away from the nest. All the fur and grass there are to keep them warm. If you want to make sure that Mom is coming back, take a piece of colored yarn (or something similar) and place over the nest. If it's moved, she has moved it.

Baby bunnies are one of the hardest animals to raise. They stress out very quickly and easily, then they die. (Blunt but true - I've seen it so many times.) It is very difficult to control their blood sugar, which can also cause their doom.

Enjoy them from afar, if Mom is doing her job. Just don't touch! I've had people bring me baby bunnies that they have literally chased across a yard to "save" them, only to have the trauma of being chased them held captive destroy them.

Good pictures!!

CRITTERCALL

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 04:58 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Oh, they are so cute!

Ditto to everything Crittercall said.

Rhonda

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 06:12 PM
Newborn Pup

re bunnies found

AMEN to what Crittercall said!

and that IS definitely a rabbits nest. Please do as she said and put them back. Mom will take them back, despite the old wives tale that people think they wont.
Mom leaves during the day and comes back at night. Bunnies have a very large tummy at birth to tide them over during the day. I am a bunny rehabber and the sad thing is many of the bunnies I get have nothing wrong with them, other than someone found them and thought they were abandoned when they probably weren't.

People truly mean well in picking wild babies up, but in many cases they unknowingly do more harm. If you see a baby in the wild, AND they don't look injured, please try to leave them alone and at most, maybe cover them up a bit if they look like their nest has been blown off of them.
More likely than not, if these bunnies have to be rehabbed out they might die, as they have to be tube fed at that age.

If you have had them for more than a day or two, get them to your local vet who will contact a rehabber or Nature Center to get them help ASAP.
If mom finds them gone and she can't find them, she wont be back. She will think something got them and go off and just have more elsewhere.

regards and good luck!
Raine
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
Seeker of Orbs

eeehh, nobody took them. they're right where we found them. we just carefully covered their nest back up.

i just hope they don't get hurt.

thanks for the info

~beth

thank you!--->

Dexter, chester, chester the 2nd, george, cinimon, tiny, DareDevil.may they rest in peace.

Dugan
bozo and zozzo, and tiny
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 12:49 AM
Oily Chickenspew

cute lil guys tho

Tara
Andy-Chinchilla
Jaws & Chomper-Firebellied Toads Senor-Tiger Salamander
Merlin-Crowntail Betta Harry Potter-Mystery Snail
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 11:16 AM
Newborn Pup

outright adorable
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 02:43 PM
Princess in Waiting

Any update on these little guys? Hopefully by now they've learned to hop and have found themselves a new home.

CRITTERCALL

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 09:38 AM Thread Starter
Seeker of Orbs

oh, um, well, they've grown pretty big...i think they're all living down in our wooded area behind the houses. I saw about 3-4 (hard to tell) buns playing down there yesterday.

~beth

thank you!--->

Dugan
bozo and zozzo, and tiny
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 09:28 PM
Princess in Waiting

Good to hear! Glad to know that they survived baby bunny-hood and are now off being happy bunnies!!

CRITTERCALL

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 02:08 AM
Jird Jostler

awww, yes dont take them.. We had to take a bunny in once, (my gmar works at a vets and it had been found in the middle of the road) sadley it died..

I'm Georgia,
I drive like a rally driver.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 04:31 AM
Will It Ever Change?

yay im glad they're growing up! that's great news

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 11:33 AM

I've never seen a "green" bunny before. Is that how nature takes care of them?

Tags
baby bunnies, baby bunny, wild animal, wild animals