Bear in my Backyard - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Animals in the Wild Want to share something about a wild or endangered animal? Look here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-13-2005, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

Bear in my Backyard

Here are some pictures of the little bear that comes and visits every so often. He is still very young I think and unfortunately, adapted too easily to people and their habits. He comes way too close to my house has no real fear of my dogs, goes through our garbage (which he is the first bear to do this). I think his mom was killed in the bear hunt last year and left him to learn really bad habits on his own. I feel bad for him because I don't think he is going to make it for very long. I think if he's tagged more than three times he's a goner I'm not quite sure if he has any tags yet but there were not in his right ear that I have pictures of. I was inside when I took the pictures so he had no clue, or didn't care that I was standing about 15 feet away from him in the picture where you can see the top of my fence.

My backyard is a little weird, I own 8.5 acres but only a very small portion is fenced in due to layout. There are retaining boulders behind the fence because as you can see the fenced in portion is dug out of the mountain. Below is a second tier right before you get to the powerlines that run directly through my backyard, we still own the property but the electric company has right of way.

In this third picture his butt is headed off into my woods that is still my property for about 400 or 500ft back where all the wild blueberries and blackberries are. I leave them all to the animals so they stay away from the house.

Hope you enjoyed the pictures of my little friend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-13-2005, 04:57 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Great pictures, Dena! It must be neat to have such a close view.

I was watching a documentary on NGC the other night that showed the national parks having a 'bear scare' team to teach the bear that human areas are no-nos so they don't have to be euthanized ... I wonder if they have anything similar in your area?

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-13-2005, 05:03 PM

Great pictures. I remember seeing a little bear as we were driving my mom told me to get the camera and I didnt get the camera i just rilled up the window. Its always nice to se our wild neighbors
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-13-2005, 05:03 PM

Great pics Dena. Thanks for sharing. I hope he doesn't end up having to be put down.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-13-2005, 05:28 PM

Wow! I love bears, I do hope he stays safe? Great pics by the way Dena!
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-13-2005, 09:14 PM
Obsessed With Turtles

OH Dena! I am green with envy! Besides wolves, bears are one of my favorite wild animals!! I feel bad for the reputation they have of being so nasty, but any animal can be... after all in the wild... it is "survival of the fitest".

Thanks for the pictures Dena!! More please
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-14-2005, 12:27 AM
Tarzan Mama of Two

thanks for sharing the pics of the bear Dena!!!!! I hope he stays safe.

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-14-2005, 01:12 AM

Great pics!
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-14-2005, 01:21 AM Thread Starter

There is a family of 5 (mother with 4 cubs around here) My husband snuck pictures of the 2 little babies swinging in the trees. He said they looked like little monkeys. He said they looked have the size of my dogs (55lbs) and then the other two were a little bigger. Its very odd to see two litters at the same time still with mom. Mom eventually caught wind of him. He saw her sniff the air and he hauled butt back home. Of course I yelled at him for risking taking pictures in the first place, but they are cute. I'll have to find where he put his camera and upload them for you to see.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-14-2005, 09:29 AM
Aspires to Change Oil

Beautiful pictures you captured of him! But certainly isn't great he's wandering so close to people... hopefully he drops the habit and goes back to the woods.

, [username] .
are you new member? have questions?

Feel free to PM or IM me.
Contacts are my profile.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-14-2005, 10:18 AM

Awesome pics, but I hope he figures out to go play somewhere else. It's so sad that bears are euthanized because we have invaded too much of their habitat. It just ticks me off.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-14-2005, 02:58 PM

Wow, neat pictures Dena!
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-14-2005, 03:44 PM
PT's Troll Hunter

Wow!! Thanks for sharing the pictures! I'm glad that you got some, because I was wondering what he looked like... not that I've never seen a bear, but how neat it is for an animal lover to get to see one so close! I hope he doesn't ever get tagged, and that he stays outta trouble. It would be sad to know he was "gotten rid of" because of bad habits when its probably due to the fact that his mother was killed by hunters in the first place... its their own fault if they're going to complain that there is a bear in their yard!

You'll have to see if you can find your hubby's cam so we can see the bear monkeys! But I'da been a bit razzled if I found out Ben risked it, too!

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-14-2005, 11:51 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Awesome pics! I hope you can find the pics your husband took.

Rhonda

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-18-2005, 05:58 PM

Fantastic pictures I hope it survives.

Tags
animal lover, wild animal, wild animals