Birds again! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Animals in the Wild Want to share something about a wild or endangered animal? Look here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-21-2007, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

Birds again!

I dont know what to do I bought a cover and they still found a way of getting in!
I was gone all week end and they put it back! :gawd:
They must of had more than one bird building it this time!
Now I've got 2 eggs and I have a big party in a couple days what do I do!!!!
Here I took some pictures!

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.s if I was to move it the eggs and all with a pair of gloves on would the birds find it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-21-2007, 02:00 PM

eek! i would leave it be b/c if mom smells humans she'll roll the eggs out of the nest from my experience...she might not though? i dont know..that's a hard choice!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-21-2007, 05:14 PM
Part of the Pack

Birds rejecting their young or eggs because they can smell humans on them is a myth. Urban Legends Reference Pages: Rejected Baby Birds Find a safe place not to far away and move the nest.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-21-2007, 05:18 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

good luck! hehe.. those birds are crafty

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-21-2007, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

Thanks so much I was scared to move it at first but thanks so much!
now I hope I can hear little baby birdys in the morning!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-21-2007, 09:26 PM
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarita2004
eek! i would leave it be b/c if mom smells humans she'll roll the eggs out of the nest from my experience...she might not though? i dont know..that's a hard choice!
That's an old wives tale.

Most birds have practically no sense of smell whatsoever. It is extremely unlikely that they will accept their eggs anywhere but where they laid them. Birds aren't that smart, they don't recognize their own eggs, they don't even recognize the eggs of cowbirds when they lay parasitic eggs in their nest, even though they are of a different size and color (and suddenly you have three more eggs than you laid!)

Just go ahead and destroy the eggs if you want them to nest somewhere else. If you keep destroying the nest, eventually they'll take the hint.

Unless you block up the hole, so they cannot get in, odds are you are going to have this problem... if this pair gives up, another will likely take their place.

bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-21-2007, 09:32 PM
Title Thief Victim

:shrugs: good luck though!

Carissasaurus Rex

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-21-2007, 10:28 PM
Part of the Pack

Why should she destroy the eggs? That's awful and unnecesary when she can just move the nest.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2007, 11:01 AM

Buy a new grill and leave that one for the birds. Ha, thats what I would probably do.

Geegeorge- if you read what Bob said, they won't recognize the eggs if she moves them. So they are going to die anyway.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2007, 12:00 PM
Leo

OMG ... those are persistent little birds aren't they? That nest is HUGE and they did this in a matter of a couple of days.

Have you thought about getting some cardboard and bocking all the holes? or how about getting an old refrigerator box (with lid) and boxing in your grill for a few days. Maybe they would get the point then?

Do you have any idea what kind of birds they are? we have these little sparrow or swallow things that like to make nests in our garage... I am actually afraid to go in my garage because of them.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2007, 02:37 PM
Eli
Movin' Up in the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarita2004
Birds doni't have a sense of smell like that. They now say to put the eggs back into the nest.Lol bob you said whatI was thinking (didn't read down far enough)

Last edited by Eli; 05-22-2007 at 02:39 PM.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2007, 02:40 PM
Guarded by Waffles

I agree with Eli. Birds can't smell all that well. I have petted wild birds (when I was young) and the mom still took care of them

Christine
Mommy to:
2 cats: Suess and Jezebel
2 horses: Winter and Junior
3 dogs: Panda, Maggie, Snoopy

And the rest:
5 cows, a bull and one mean buffalo

Gone but not forgotten:
Jester, cat
Waffles, dog
Gunny, ferret

Check out
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2007, 05:04 PM
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by geegeorge
Why should she destroy the eggs? That's awful and unnecesary when she can just move the nest.
Because you can't move the nest, they won't recognize it or the eggs as their own if it's somewhere else.

bob

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

NEST AND EVERYTHING IS GONE! I couldn't get rid of the eggs I had to have my bf do it!
I took back the cover and I went out and bought REALLY big plastice bags and I'm going to tie up the grill everynight!
But the real question is will I remember!
Thanks everyone for the help! *muah*
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-25-2007, 04:00 PM
Dinky Corsetkisser

we have a problem like that...they keep building a nest in the dogs water pool...we put it behind the shed during the winter and they built a nest...we took the nest out twice and still they built another so I just bought another pool and let the birds have it lol...my neighbors are having a problem with swallows (I think) building mud nests on the side of her house under the eaves...right now there is over 30 on 1 side of her house and about 10 on the other...its so crazy watching them all take flight in the morning at about the same time lol...and the neighbors on the other side of us have birds nesting under the tiles on thier roof...we just planted a ton of trees so they leave the house alone lol...

good luck on remembering to tie it up every night lol they are sneaky little buggers

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

Tags
baby birds