Birds eggs - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Animals in the Wild Want to share something about a wild or endangered animal? Look here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-14-2005, 06:46 AM Thread Starter

Birds eggs

Anyone know the rules on chopping down trees when there is a bird nesting in it?
My neighbour in UK had huge pine trees and she wanted to chop them down but there were at least 2 birds sitting on eggs in them.
She was not bothered and began chopping them down.
We rang the R.S.P.C.A but they did nothing about it.
She said she could not wait till they had flown away with their new babies coz she had to get them cleared away.
She chopped down the trees and then it took her at least 5 months to clear away the trees.
Why couldnt she have waited?
Made me mad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-14-2005, 01:13 PM
Princess in Waiting

I'd be boiling mad over that too. Unfortunately (at least in the US) the rules of the game are if the tree is on your property you can do whatever you want to - which strangely covers limbs that hang over onto your property from the tree next door. There is one limb from behind us that hangs way over our back yard and we could legally cut it down - the limb, not the tree.

Hopefully Mama Bird wasn't too upset over the commotion and was able to get her babies weaned and taught them to fly before everything was cleaned up. Did you neighbor say if she has seen them since?

We had some men trimming limbs at our house one day and I was arguing that I didn't want a certain tree touched because the squirrels were nesting there. This (oooh, can't think of a nice word!) MAN laughed at me and said he'd been doing that and hadn't seen any squirrel eggs yet. Oh, I wanted to slap him up side the head! I just gave him a dirty look and walk away.

Hope the birds made it okay - post and let us know if she found any sign of them afterward.

Critter

CRITTERCALL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-15-2005, 03:42 AM Thread Starter

She tore all the trees down before the eggs even hatched I am sorry to say.
We have never spoken to that neighbour again.
There was at least 2 nests.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-15-2005, 08:57 PM
Princess in Waiting

I'm sorry to hear that. Being animal lovers, I don't think most of us can understand why even if people don't really like animals they can't just let them have their little space to live in! The world should be big enough for all of us. I think my biggest pet peeve is the people who want to put electric shocks, etc., in their bird feeders so that squirrels won't get anything to eat.

Critter

CRITTERCALL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-16-2005, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

Squirrels are wild life too that need feeding through the winter

Tags
animal lover, animal lovers