A bit of a problem - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Animals in the Wild Want to share something about a wild or endangered animal? Look here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-22-2003, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
Princess in Waiting

Cool A bit of a problem

This sweet little baby 'coon (Koonta Kentay) is already growing to be a bit feisty, but being very stubborn about being fed. This is the first 'coon I've had that refused to take food from a bottle so I'm having to feed him out of syringes - and it's a race to change them quick enough to suit him!

He needs to be with other young raccoons who can be role models for him and put him in his place and just basically teach him to be a 'coon.

I made arrangements with a local rehab center to take him there. They have other babies on hand; I've been there before and they have a nice facility. I can get on a soap box really quickly about wildlife and they're okay with me!!

Now the problem. The woman that Bubba works with who brought him in wants him back - to "keep for a few days before he's released". Everything in me tells me this is WRONG. I don't think she knows what a potentially dangerous position she is putting herself in, I don't believe she's ever raised a 'coon before (from the way she talked to him earlier), and most of all I don't believe it is in Koonta's best interest.

Bub has promised he'll have a long, heart-to-heart with her tomorrow before he'll come home and get him. (If I take him I'll cry - and I'd rather cry at home.) My daughter suggested that Bub tell her that when he got home from work yesterday I'd already taken him -she's not devious, huh.

Anyway, just needing to get this off my chest. It bothers me because if anything happens and she gets bit it means the raccoon has to be euthanized and tested for rabies and I think he's capable of biting if he isn't handled right. Then I would feel guilty because she is being stupid and I let her have him back. But she is where he came from in the first place.

I think I'll talk in circles!!

CRITTERCALL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-23-2003, 12:32 AM
Wants to Hug Hose Bunnies

I understand what you are thinking, but I agree with Erin. Has the woman raised raccoons? No. Just have Bub explain it to her that you were worried for her safety and for the coon's safety and were looking out for all included's best interests.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-23-2003, 01:47 AM
Incubator Cricket Killer

I second! You know what you're doing in this situation...follow your gut! I would definetly just tell her that you'd already taken him in for whatever reason, maybe even tell her he wasn't doing well so you had to take him in sooner than expected...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-23-2003, 07:36 AM Thread Starter
Princess in Waiting

Cool

I feel somewhat better just knowing that you guys agree with me. He has so darn much integrity....he said he'd have a LONG talk with her and express my concerns, etc. I just know he'll be here at lunch time to take the little fellow away. It just bothers me because this is NOT what is right for this animal!

CRITTERCALL

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-24-2003, 12:24 PM
I Think I Need a Bigger Bear

I agree Critter...go with your gut instinct. You know what's best for Koonta...I'd just tell her you already took him.

Good luck hon, and don't stress too much...Let us know what happens....

~ Jodi ~

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-24-2003, 05:00 PM

So what happened? See my philosophy would be to just say NO. Too bad if she doesn't understand, tell her to go to the zoo. It is a wild animal and will have a better chance of survival if it does not get used to humans.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-24-2003, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
Princess in Waiting

Cool

Husband's integrity 1 - wife's tears 0.

She claims she just wanted to keep him "a couple of days" - how can he be so gullible sometimes?

I told him if that was the case, then I want to spend a couple more days with him and I want to be the one to take him to the wildlife center!

(Okay, he feels sorry for the woman because they are around her age and her husband had a major bad motorcycle accident and is not doing well right now - seizures, no short-term memory, etc. But my cold-hearted response to that was that she doesn't need another responsibility right now.)

CRITTERCALL

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-29-2003, 09:36 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

So, has she taken him to the rehab center yet?

Rhonda

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-30-2003, 06:56 AM Thread Starter
Princess in Waiting

Cool

He was out of the office Monday and yesterday - spent the day at Cape Canaveral making some "contacts" (partially to see if we could get a good position for a launch!) so he hasn't talked to her. I have my doubts.

CRITTERCALL

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-30-2003, 10:35 PM

Hmmmm.......maybe try calling her yourself and tell her your concerns?

Rhonda

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-01-2003, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
Princess in Waiting

Cool

I'll send him an email now and remind him to talk to her. Sometimes that's best! I think his favorite phrase is "if you'll remind me". And I'm off to get my hair cut and colored so I don't have time to talk to him.

I'll let you know, but I'd be willing to bet the little critter is still at her house. She probably "hasn't had time" to take him.

Still hurts me but there's not a whole lot I can do now.

CRITTERCALL

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-03-2003, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
Princess in Waiting

Cool

Here's her story. Her brother (or BIL) works for a vet clinic and the raccoon is now living there. It's doing great, everyone loves it, they hold it, play with it, etc. When they decide to release it they know of some rehab center that I haven't heard of that they are going to take it to. I'd love to know if this place has any sort of "halfway house" for their rehabs, etc. But it bothered Bubba enough just to have to ask her about him - just like it still makes me sad to think about him. This one wasn't done correctly.

But instead of being the eternal Eeyore, I've got to make myself assume that they know what they are doing and let them do it. He is, after all, out of my hands now so there is nothing more I can do.

Thanks for the concern. I really appreciate it.

CRITTERCALL

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-04-2003, 12:26 AM
I Wish I Were a Snot Ball Shooter

that's got to be hard for you to think about ... The rehabber I took Rockie to explained to me that, when wild animals get rabies, they don't foam at the mouth and act all crazy like most people think. She said they simply lose their fear of humans. So, who's to say if a raccoon approaches you whether it's friendly or rabid ? She said that's why it's best at a certain point to stop the hands on approach and let it become "wild".
The case here in Ohio that caused this "nuisance animal" thing happened just that way. A raccoon came into a back yard, and a little boy was bit thinking it was friendly, when it was actually rabid.
If they're eventually taking "your" raccoon to a rehab place, let's assume they'll take the time to let it become a bit fearful of humans before they release it.

Sharon
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-04-2003, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
Princess in Waiting

Cool

That's true, Sharon. In raccoons (and other wild animals) rabies can be passed from mother to baby with no outward sign of the disease. It used to the be policy in the state of Ohio to immediately euthanize any raccoon brought into a rehab center - but that doesn't mean that they are all turned in! And unfortunately for the animal the only real way to tell if it has rabies is to test its brain.

I kept up with my own rabies vaccinations (along with Bubba and Erin) while we were doing a lot of rehabbing, but I don't do that any more. That's why I wanted to let little Koonta go to a center. He was starting to discover his teeth and get just a bit rowdy. It would have been safer for everyone.

CRITTERCALL

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-05-2003, 10:02 PM

Do you have to have a license to have raccoons in Florida and to rehab? The comment of "when they decide to release it" kind of bugs me. This animal will be going back to the wild, so wouldn't rehab be it's best bet right now instead of a big group of people at the vet clinic handling it all the time? It's sad, but a wild animal needs to fear some people and it seems having all these people handle it will make it people friendly.

Rhonda

Tags
vet clinic, wild animal, wild animals