Bit by a squirrel! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Animals in the Wild Want to share something about a wild or endangered animal? Look here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-14-2007, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

Bit by a squirrel!

I just got bit by a squirrel. It was my fault, I shouldn't have been feeding him. The squirrels in my yard are really tame and wait for us to come out and feed them. We've never had a problem before today. I went out with a handful of peanuts and he got too eager and bit my fingertip instead of a peanut. It broke the skin but only very lightly. It bled a drop or two. I scrubbed it immediately with antibacterial soap. It wasn't a "mean" bite at all, he just wanted the peanut. So it was a provoked bite. I am very familiar with this squirrel and he was not acting any different from usual. The fact that he was eating peanuts sort of says to me that he doesn't have the main feature of rabies (inability to swallow). I looked up info about the rabies risk with squirrels and everything I've found indicates that rabies shots are only needed if the bite was unprovoked or the squirrel charged at them. It said that squirrels very rarely carry rabies and have not caused any known cases of rabies in the US. No doctor's offices (or the hospital ER) are open in my town today.

Should I be worried? I'm not really worried about it at this point (I can barely tell where the bite was on my finger anymore). I had a tetanus shot about three years ago. Any help would be appreciated I'm a nursing student but we sure haven't covered Squirrel-Related Injuries yet, haha.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-14-2007, 12:58 PM
Will It Ever Change?

i woudlnt be worried. if you are, go get a tetanus shot :p but i wouldn't worry

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-14-2007, 01:01 PM

i think u'll be fine. on out campus at college we have TONS of squirrels and they nip/bite ppl all the time trying to get a lil more for lunch One day while at the dr.'s on campus the nurse was trying to make me feel better and told me that at least once a week they have someone come in w/a bite from a squirrel and no one's ever had rabies, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-14-2007, 04:57 PM
Princess in Waiting

Chantelle - I know that in the US there is little if any known rabies in the squirrel population, but I don't know about Canada.

My suggestion would be that you continue to take care of the "wound"; keep it clean and maybe put some antibiotic cream or ointment on it. Infection is always a possibility with any animal bite. Watch it to make sure that you don't develop any swelling or redness; if that happens get yourself to the doctor for some oral antibiotics.

Do you have a government agency like our Fish and Wildlife? Personally, I would call and ask "for a friend" about rabies in squirrels, what to do for a bite, etc.

It's great that your squirrels will come and eat from your hand - even if they do get a bit over-stimulated sometimes!! And I bet it would be kind of hard to pick out which one bit you now. Keep an eye on your group and if one starts to act more "squirrelly" than the rest you may want to put on some heavy gloves and try to isolate him for a few days.

Yes, I'm an over-protective Mom. How did you guess? My family got used to my lists of things when we re-habbed!

Take care and be sure to let us know how you are in a few days!

Critter

CRITTERCALL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-14-2007, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

I'll definitely keep an eye on the wound. I called the health dept and they said that they only give post-exposure vaccines for squirrel bites very rarely, and only in extreme circumstances. So I'm just keeping an eye on it for now It has closed up completely (it was a really superficial puncture) and has no pain.

I'll be watching my little squirrel clan just to make sure, as well I've had really tame squirrels for years and they're usually really sweet little things but yeah, they get a little over eager at times. Thanks for the advice!
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-14-2007, 06:39 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Ouch!!

Lve Never Fails

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-14-2007, 06:58 PM
Title Thief Victim

once I got bit by a chipmunk! lol

Carissasaurus Rex
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-14-2007, 07:05 PM

I wouldn't be worried either
Squirrels are cute xD I see them a LOT.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-14-2007, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvnature
Ouch!!
Yeah, those little buggers can bite HARD. It felt the same as when I got nipped by my degu (got in the middle of a degu fight, bad idea). I'm actually surprised it wasn't deeper. I think I probably made it worse by yanking my hand away instead of waiting for him to let go (which tore it).
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-14-2007, 08:53 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

ouch again!

Lve Never Fails

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-14-2007, 10:05 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

Just see if YOU feel any different. If you do then contact some health department immediatly. Other then that, if you have a tetnus shot then don't worry.

One time I was bit by my rat. I went in to the ER to get a tetnus shot. The nurse called animal control and he gave me all this crap and said, your rat has to be PTS and blah blah blah...I just said...well rats don't carry rabies!!!

I've known people to take care of wild squirrels also.

*Missy*
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-14-2007, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorkyChantelle
I just got bit by a squirrel. It was my fault, I shouldn't have been feeding him. The squirrels in my yard are really tame and wait for us to come out and feed them. We've never had a problem before today. I went out with a handful of peanuts and he got too eager and bit my fingertip instead of a peanut. It broke the skin but only very lightly. It bled a drop or two. I scrubbed it immediately with antibacterial soap. It wasn't a "mean" bite at all, he just wanted the peanut. So it was a provoked bite. I am very familiar with this squirrel and he was not acting any different from usual. The fact that he was eating peanuts sort of says to me that he doesn't have the main feature of rabies (inability to swallow). I looked up info about the rabies risk with squirrels and everything I've found indicates that rabies shots are only needed if the bite was unprovoked or the squirrel charged at them. It said that squirrels very rarely carry rabies and have not caused any known cases of rabies in the US. No doctor's offices (or the hospital ER) are open in my town today.

Should I be worried? I'm not really worried about it at this point (I can barely tell where the bite was on my finger anymore). I had a tetanus shot about three years ago. Any help would be appreciated I'm a nursing student but we sure haven't covered Squirrel-Related Injuries yet, haha.

I was bit by a mouse and i called animal controll they will let you know if the squirrels in your state have rabies

they told me there are no mice in my area that have rabies and not to worry

that was last year and im still alive lol
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-15-2007, 04:00 PM

Carissa that was random... haha anyways, im sure your fine, keep us updated
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-15-2007, 04:01 PM
Title Thief Victim

no it wasnt random...they were tlaking about getting bit and i said i got bit once.

Carissasaurus Rex

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-15-2007, 04:12 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

How are you feeling today? I am sure you will be fine. I think it very unusual for squirrels to carry rabies. When my sister got bite but a wild mouse (she was trying to pick up to get out of the house since the cat had him cornered) the doctor told her to call the vet. You could call a vet for his opinion. Our vet told her (after getting over laughing at her) not to worry. Mice really are not known to carry rabies. Piece of advice - if you see a mouse being cornered by a cat and deciding to stand on his back legs to fight back do NOT try and pick him up bare handed. He is apparently a fiesty little mouse!

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny

Tags
animal control