Black bear suprise - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Animals in the Wild Want to share something about a wild or endangered animal? Look here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-03-2005, 02:07 AM Thread Starter

Black bear suprise

Zack and i went up to the mountains today on our atv. After a fun day of roaring through mud puddles and swimming, we were delighted to see a family of bears up close We were driving down the mountain and saw that we were coming up to them, so we went really slow and pulled up alongside the mommy and her two cubs. Mom ran away and the cubs went up a tree, it was so cute, i love bears and there are lots up here in canada. Anyways so one of the cubs fell about 5 feet and let out a funny growl, and they all ran away. We were able to watch them for about 3 minutes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-03-2005, 07:21 AM
Curmudgeon

This is the exact kind of behavior that people use to justify eliminating ATV use in parks and wildlife areas in this country ...and justifiably so.

For someone who "loves" bears, you have a strange way of showing it..

You find it funny that you frightened the mother enough that she would leave her cubs behind, that one would be so terrified of you and your machines, that it would fall out of a tree..

Aside from the fact that you might have gotten attacked by the mom (as you would have deserved), you could have caused the injury of the poor animal ...all for your amusement.

The way you so glibly speak of this, as if it's normal and amusing to harass wildlife(and that IS what you were doing ... make no mistake about it), shocks and appalls me.

I actually feel sorry for you, almost as much as the bears.

Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.

Last edited by Mygala; 07-03-2005 at 07:31 AM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-03-2005, 10:27 PM Thread Starter

For starters the place that we take our atv is an area designated for atv/ dirtbike use, we do this so as not to disturb wildlife. Also the bears were not in the mountains they were in the middle of the road and we couldnt help but pass them as we drove home in our truck, not the noisy atv. Would you have prefferred us plow them down? The mother wasnt terrified, neither were the cubs, they were just moving off of the road. The cubs crawled in the trees and one was clumsy, its not like im yelling at them and scaring them hoping one will fall. We were sitting silently in our truck and waiting for them to clear away before driving past so we wouldnt scare them. I love all animals and what i did was in no way wrong. If you want to take up something with someone, then take it up with the logging trucks that barrell down those roads and dont stop so as to not scare the bears.

By the way, driving on roads is something that cannot be avoided, i'd like to hear you say that you dont drive, and you wouldnt have done the same thing as we did upon encountering a family of bears.

Last edited by Phawn; 07-03-2005 at 10:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-03-2005, 11:43 PM
Curmudgeon

Ahhh I understand now, ..it was the BEAR's fault for being in the road.

And you stopped for them so you wouldn't scare them.

Sorry, I must have misread your first post, I thought it said something like:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phawn
...so we went really slow and pulled up alongside the mommy and her two cubs. Mom ran away and the cubs went up a tree...
So, let me get this right,

...you got close enough to her and her cubs to make her "run away" from you AND her cubs, and to make the cubs seek refuge in a tree... Then "they all ran away" ...but you didn't scare them.

I, somehow, don't think they interpreted the incident the same way as you, nor did they find is as entertaining as you did.

I'm glad that in this post, when you compared yourself, you were a little more respectful of wildlife than a logging truck. That speaks very highly of you, indeed!

BTW, this second account sounds almost nothing like your first post.

...and BTW I do drive, daily

...but I yeild to wildlife.

..and I'd go out of my way to NOT stress a mother bear with cubs, by keeping a good distance between them and myself. I wouldn't drive up next to them just for for a closer look, or my own amusement.

In alot of places I've been to, like Yellowstone, that's called harassment...

Bob

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-04-2005, 01:17 AM Thread Starter

We came around the corner and they were there, i think backing up would have scared them more. The reason my first post doesnt sound like the second is because it isnt as detailed, because i didnt think that anyone would question my love and respect for animals. I wasnt entertained by seeing them leave, they were obviously somewhat used to seeing vehicles, i like anyone else in this world thought they were cute, and i was also just really happy that they were obviously second years (as %50 of black bear cubs dont make it to their second summer). Im not a bad person, if i did do anything wrong it was due to not knowing, not lack of respect. I have lived in British Columbia all my life, and grew up in a remote town where cougars, blackbears and deer strolled down our streets and i have always maintained my distance and treated them accordingly. As i said, i love animals, and im sure you do too thats why you were angered by my first post. When reading it a second time i realised that i did come off as being intrusive to the bears, i should have been more detailed. If ever something i say bothers you please ask me instead of accusing, it really hurt me that someone would think of me that way.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-04-2005, 07:32 AM
Curmudgeon

As you say, from your first post it sounded ...not good.

If I misunderstood the circumstances, ...I apologize.

I've spent a lot of time hiking in the Rockies, and paddling in the Boundary Waters/Quetico. Black bears are great animals, it bothers me to see some of the things people do to them ...in order to see them better, or to try to get them to "do something".

I'm sorry my post took on such a sharp tone, after awhile I get tired of hearing these stories from people who are concerned only for themselves, not for how the interaction affects the animals ...especially mothers with cubs. Sometimes, it's hard not to let some of that frustration out.

Again, if that wasn't the way things happened, I apologize for my strong reaction.

Bob

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-04-2005, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phawn
so we went really slow and pulled up alongside the mommy and her two cubs. Mom ran away and the cubs went up a tree, it was so cute,
I have to agree that you are very lucky that mom didn't attack. Bears are supposed to be their most aggressive while protecting their young.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-08-2005, 12:11 AM Thread Starter

That is true, and if it could have been avoided it would have. Black bears are one of the smallest bear's and in my experience the friendliest, but if you get too close to a mom with young ones watch out!! Im just glad that the bears and us all walked away unscathed
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-09-2005, 11:07 AM

I would have stopped and looked at them too, cause I've never seen a bear in the wild. I don't think it was wrong. It's natural for a human to be fascinated by wild animals and want to watch them. We have white tailed deer all around where I live, but every time I see one, I have to stop and look at it, because they are so graceful. It would be a different story if you would have went out of your way to find them and bother them.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-09-2005, 11:57 AM

I have bears around my house all the time. To the point were sometimes the dogs don't even take notice of them anymore. Up until recently I think the dogs had kept them stearing clear of the house. There is a very young male that seems to have no fear. I don't know if anyone remembers the Bear Hunt in NJ last year but this little guy probably lost his mother to a hunter or a car and has no idea how to survive except adapting off of people. He already has one tag and will most likely end up being destroyed in the near future. My policy is I leave you alone you leave me alone and so far it has worked out well.

Tags
black bear, black bears, wild animal, wild animals