Black Squirrel - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Animals in the Wild Want to share something about a wild or endangered animal? Look here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-23-2005, 11:55 PM Thread Starter

Black Squirrel

I don't mind feeding the squirrels, I don't mind them living in a box i've made for them. I mind that the beautiful black squirrel that has moved in with its mate looks to have mange.

I am going to get a live trap and attempt to trap him/her and bring him/her to a Wildlife Rehab Center nearby for treatment. They said they release back where they came from. I hope so, I wanted to see him/her throughout the season by looking out the window to their box.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-24-2005, 07:13 AM
Princess in Waiting

Unhappy

Thanks for including the pic, Piggers. I've heard of black squirrels but have never seen one.

Okay, I'll tell you right from the top that I have the flu and my fingers can'tfind the right keys, so reading me may be a bit difficult!! Gosh, I don't think I'm ever going to be well again. It started after a trip to the dentist, which is another story. Can you say STRESSED????

I think you are working with some very understanding people that seem to know their stuff. Most types of mange are very contagious and I don't think there is any way in the world that I would try to dip a squirrel to get rid of it. And since it is cold, cold, cold in FL I assume it is cold everywhere and you would have to leave the ones you treat inside until they are completely dry. I'm sure others know of different ways of treatment (and different types of mange it could be) but knowing how thorough you are I imagine that you took the picture of that one with you so that they could get a view of the mange without having to do a skin scraping.

Good luck. He's a handsome devil - or would be with all his hair. Has a Clark Gable look to him!

Let us know how it goes!

Critter - frozen purple! (never happy, huh - I'm usually sweating!!)

And Piggers I've been thinking about you. Go to www.house-mouse.com and check them out. Along with their adorable mice they have a couple of really cute cards, magnets, etc. with the mice fixing the guinea pig's hair.

CRITTERCALL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-24-2005, 10:15 AM Thread Starter

If I can catch him I am supposed to bring him there and they will use injections to rid him of the mites. At least that is what they said on the phone. So now all I have to do is trap him.

That site is adorable, and I love the pigger and the hedgie!

Thanks...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-24-2005, 12:49 PM
Princess in Waiting

They make that sound simple, don't they? Get out the big leather welding gloves, two or three friends who have no fear......and good luck!

I have become almost addicted to that site! I've bought two t-shirts (it's unusual to find a 3xl t-shirt for C'mas - I don't want it to touch me anywhere!); I've got note pads and grocery lists and bought severel magnets. I see something new everytime I go or when I look at their print catalog. Glad you liked it!

Critter

CRITTERCALL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-24-2005, 05:45 PM

I love squirrels and have never seen a black one before, in fact I dont think they have them over here.. Thanks for posting the pic and I hope you get them to the rehab centre soon..
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-24-2005, 06:47 PM
Princess in Waiting

Bubba went on a golf outing in S.Carolina a few years ago and saw black and white squirrels. I questioned him and he swore he hadn't been drinking - and that they weren't skunks. He said they were considerably larger than regular than regular squirrels and he was fascinated with them. Of course no pictures of them.

When we first moved to FL I was appalled at how small our little brown squirrels are - until I realized that they have no need to fatten up for the winter. I've fed them and fed them and they appreciate it, but they still stay thin! Wonder if you could plot the size and color of squirrels across the country? Then take a field trip to take pictures of all of them? Sounds like fun!!

Critter

CRITTERCALL

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-28-2005, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

Here he is out and about.

Here he is with his mate.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-28-2005, 04:44 PM

Aww I love the last pic.. I have a family of squirrels who come into the garden every day.. I feed them peanuts which they adore.. Its funny watching them running around the garden, especially when the bunnies are out..
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-28-2005, 05:39 PM
Princess in Waiting

You ought to see the blood run down the side of my mouth from biting my tongue when I hear people ask what they can do to keep the squirrels out of their bird feeders - especially when it's my own family!! We all gots to eat!

Critter

CRITTERCALL

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-28-2005, 11:45 PM

Smile

We just recently came from Great lakes area (IL) and the black squirrels were everywere. It was said that the black ones have rabies(not sure of spelling), but I don't think that is true just a dif. marking. Yes they were everywere and very destructive when there is too many in one area. we could not keep any flowers in any planter to save our lives they would just dig it up or hide thier nuts in it. then in the spring you would see a little tree sprouting up it the pot. They don't remmeber all thier hiding spot I guess.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-29-2005, 03:16 AM
Princess in Waiting

People would always tell me that squirrels had rabies, but of the ones that I had to have a necropsy done I never had one come back positive. Just people trying to have a good scare at someone else's expense I guess. Guilty here. I was keeping one and was at work while hubby did some work on the trees or its cage of something. He called in a total panic because it had bit his thumb so my friend and I had quite a giggle over telling him that he'd already waited far too long for the doctors to help him. He didn't think it was nearly as funny as we did!

Critter

CRITTERCALL

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-29-2005, 08:01 AM Thread Starter

Sounds like something I would do to my hubby!!!v LOL
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-29-2005, 11:56 AM

Talking

I knew there was a conspericy amongst wifes. That would have been fun to witness though. "I don't care who you are thats funny".
Keeps us updated on the man in black
Sticky.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-03-2005, 12:36 PM

I have had a few of them in my yard. I used to lead peanuts through my window into my room and he would climb up on my shoulders, look at me until I gave him food then he would take it and run back out the window. Then he would come back again, again, and again!
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 02:06 PM

Wow! Amazing pics. What a handsome little squirrel he is! I saw some black red squirrels (yes, I know that sounds strange, but you know what I mean!) in the Black Forest, Germany. They're the only black ones I've ever seen. Really tame too.

I love birds, but I love squirrels too, and I would be quite happy to share my wild birdies food with a squirrel or two. We don't have them in our garden though.

Thanks for the pics.

Tags
guinea pig