Butterfly pictures! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Animals in the Wild Want to share something about a wild or endangered animal? Look here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
Stinky Liverbrain

Butterfly pictures!

Hello!

A couple of weeks ago, I left a small carrier out drying after hosing it. When I went to pick it up the next day I found that a caterpillar had decided to make it's crisalis on the lid. I put the lid on the carrier and left it there. It has been pretty cool to even watch the crisalis, cause it moved toward the sun every day (and at night was straight vertical). This morning, while I was having breakfast, I noticed that the crisalis was "hatching". I watched it, took a couple of pictures and then went to my class. I had only one class, so I arrived home an hour after. I took a couple more pictures, now that the buttefly was fully open and flying around, ad then let it go. I thought you might enjoy the butterfly pictures, so here they are: (Hey, Matt, if you are around here, can you identify it? I know you love to do that... )

Dimaris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 01:07 PM
Poo dont scare me!!!

How cool. Those pics are really neat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 01:47 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Beautiful!

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

Come drop by!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 02:46 PM
Paw Talk's prodicle son .

That realy is a priceless moment to rear cattapillars to Papae and then watch the Flutterby's emerge.

last year for the second year running I reared large white Flutterby's, I had 30 of them, ten one week and Twenty during the next week, Grandpa Rex had to release about ten because I did not get down that day when some emerged.

I found them eating nasturtums and they have done for two years now, so it is likely they will be back this year too, so I will most likely do it again.

I used to look after Peacock and Small Tortoiseshell butterflies, but the problem with Nymphilidae butterflies is the lay their eggs in clusters and from year to year I was losing more and more to parasites until I reared 0%.

Mind you the Comma Flutterby of the same family Nymphilidae avoids parasite by laying its eggs singly on the food plant, but they are not nearly as common, well I may be wrong

yay to rearing Flutterby's

Well done padfoot

* sings *

He's in the Jailhouse now , he's in the Jailhouse now , well I told him once or twice .

To stop chewing wood and Pooping nice , he's in the jailhouse now.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
Stinky Liverbrain

Thanks!

but I did't reared it.. LOL.. she just happened to place her crisalis in a really easy way to trap... LOL I just catched the crisalis... LOL!!!

Dimaris

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 03:26 PM
Just Call Me Oblivious!

Wow, look at the transition! No wonder people often refer to the chrysalis process when talking about change!

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 03:34 PM
Misses Her Smilie Titles

They are so pretty!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 05:37 PM
I live in a Pigdom

It is a very pretty flutterby. My stab in the dark as to which variety it is, is... a Mexican Fritillary (Euptoieta Hegesia).

Adopt a pet today!
Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out. But I can usually shut her up with cookies.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 05:56 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Awesome pictures! Thanks so much for sharing!

Stephanie

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 06:09 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Red face

Great pics, the butterflies are beautiful! Thanks for posting..

Steph ~ Owned by 4 bunnies and 5 degus..

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble
attribute of man." Charles Darwin

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 07:20 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Neat pics! That butterfly is beautiful!

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."