Can you identify this bird that was in my yard? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Animals in the Wild Want to share something about a wild or endangered animal? Look here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-09-2006, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

Can you identify this bird that was in my yard?

Today we had a really peculiar bird stop by to eat. We usually only see pigeons, chickadees, mourning doves, and finches around here so it was quite a surprise to see this guy. I know NOTHING at all about birds so hopefully someone else can figure out what type of bird he is

He had a band/tag on his right leg (this is what surprised me the most). He was white with a brown head and brown tail feathers. The brown on his head was sleek but when the white feathers started again, he had a puffy "crown" sort of thing. He fit right in with the pigeons (although they acted funny with him at first) and he kinda looks similar to them but his feathers aren't as sleek (they're more fuzzy looking). At first we thought he was injured because he wouldn't fly away and some of his wing feathers looked a bit weird but finally he flew across to another yard.

Here are some pictures:

With the pigeons
Tail feathers
You can kinda see the band in this one
Eating some bird seed

It's probably something really common somewhere else but we've never seen anything like it. My mom thinks it's some sort of dove...What do you guys think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-09-2006, 01:43 PM
Dinky Corsetkisser

I have never seen anything like it either lol it looks cool

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-09-2006, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, it certainly got my attention I've searched through bird databases and still haven't come up with an answer. Maybe he's got something like albinism? I know he's probably not albino because of the brown but there's another thing...starts with an L. Leucistic maybe? I think that's when they can have some brown color and their eyes are normal. I'm clueless when it comes to birds though so that's a complete guess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 06:58 PM
Adolescent Pup

Hi,
He is a pigeon or dove. He was probably from someones coop as he looks like one that was bred for this color combination. The band would also indicate that he was a pet or a breeders bird. If there was a way to capture him without hurting him, the band may give you information as to a breeder or it's owner.
Bill
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

I posted this on birdforums.net and someone there said it is a Chinese Owl show pigeon. I didn't even know there was such a thing! But anyway, the bird came back several times during the day. I was able to get fairly close to him but no matter how patient I was, he wouldn't let me get close enough to catch him. I tried getting a glimpse of the band but I couldn't make anything out. I feel really badly now because he hasn't returned today and I'm worried about him The weather has been really nice but I dunno...if he's a pet, I'm not sure he would have the skills to survive outside (although he acted just like the other pigeons and kind of joined up with them). *sigh*

Edit: Oh yeah, I also called all breeders in the area who specialize in show pigeons of this type. I left a lot of messages but haven't got any replies. I really hope the bird is okay...
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 07:22 PM
Adolescent Pup

He is feeding so he will be Ok. keep an eye out for him and maybe a person in the area will come forward and this bird will get home
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 07:27 PM Thread Starter

I really hope so. There's plenty of food and water in the yard and almost everyone in the area puts out food for the birds. There are very few people around here who breed/own show pigeons so hopefully whoever owns him will show up soon The word is out that the bird is in the area, I guess I just have to wait now.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-12-2006, 03:03 PM
Adolescent Pup

Did you guys run an ad in the kitsap sun? If so, I saw the ad and hopefully that will help you find the owner.
Bill
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-12-2006, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

I live in Canada and haven't run any ads. The SPCA and local animal rescues are aware of the bird being around but we haven't had any calls back from breeders. I also haven't seen the bird back again
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-13-2006, 02:19 PM
Adolescent Pup

Hi,
That is an amazing coincidence. There is one listed as being found in Bremerton Washington that is also white and brown. Well, if anyone in washington hears abot another lost one maybe they will also found out through here.
Bill
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-13-2006, 04:16 PM
Herp Nerd

While if he is eating and flocking with the other pigeons, he'll probably be ok, his coloration isn't natural to the habitat, which will make him stick out like a sore thumb for any potential predators, namely hawks. Hopefully someone will come looking for him, though I don't envy the task of trying to catch him.

She sits in her corner, singing herself to sleep.
Wrapped in all of the promises, that no one seems to keep.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-14-2006, 10:09 AM

OMG he is an owl pigeon!! I had fancy pigeons as a kid and he looks just like a few I had. Beautiful bird. Don't be surprised if you start seeing some mutated wild pigeons in your area LOL
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-09-2008, 03:40 PM
Adolescent Pup

umm... you got me ( - 8

---------------------------------
Owner of 1 dog 1 hamster 3 mice 10 rats one of my mice just pasted away my you rest in peace fether

Last edited by pandamiranda7; 11-09-2008 at 03:43 PM.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-09-2008, 05:06 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

you need to check the date you are replying to threads several years old and this question has a been answered

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
animal rescue, beautiful bird