Capybaras - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Animals in the Wild Want to share something about a wild or endangered animal? Look here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-21-2005, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Capybaras

Hi guys!
This may seem a strange question to ask, but does anyone know how to restrain and handle a Capybara?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-21-2005, 04:11 PM
Princess in Waiting

Sorry, but I don't even know what one is!! I could look it up - - - -but it would be more fun if you told me about it, pix are nice, etc.

Critter

CRITTERCALL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-21-2005, 04:35 PM
Suffers from Title Envy

i love Capybaras.
they are sooo adorable!
but i dont know how to restrain them. good thing, id end up trying to take one home with me from the zoo!!
J/K

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-21-2005, 05:59 PM
Princess in Waiting

Ohmygosh!! I just looked them up on Google and how cute! I don't think I've ever even seen one in a zoo. According to what I read they can get mighty big; I would think that how you restrain him would depend on what you were going to do with him. Do you have a vet where you live who specializes in exotics? You could give them a call and ask them. If you want it restrained for teeth clipping or nail trimming, I'd say you'd need to have him under some sort of light anesthetic.

Critter

CRITTERCALL

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-22-2005, 12:04 AM
Curmudgeon

We used to have them here at the zoo.

They were not what you'd call tame. We had to net them or dart them to work with them. They are very strong for their size, have a pretty impressive bite and can give you some respectable scratches if you arent careful.

Not much to hold onto except the animal itself. They are pretty durable, not likely to die of overexcitement ...and always gave the promise of an interesting morning whenever knockdowns were scheduled.....

To sum it up, I'd say go in with overwhelming force or drugs, and then handle with caution.

Bob

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-22-2005, 03:51 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

THanks. It is for my assignment. We have baby ones at our zoo!!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Still needing information. Keep it coming!!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 12:59 PM
Princess in Waiting

Working on it Sarah. We're having a hurricane (or the outer edges of one) today so I'm staying piled up in the bed with my dogs!!

Critter

CRITTERCALL

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 05:06 PM
Curmudgeon

What exactly do you need?

There is no "one" way to restrain or handle any particular animal. It's determined by the type and temperment of the animal, the trainer, and the circumstances.

How much you are willing to risk is another factor in how you would deal with any animal. You might be willing to risk a bite from a shrew, but not one from a Gila Monster.

If you could be more specific about what you need, I'd be glad to help.

Bob

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

The question is how do you restrain and handle a capybara. I have to also write about health and safety and any equipment.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 10:42 AM
Princess in Waiting

Cool

I looked in Google and found several sites about them but only looked at one. Have you checked there? The one I glanced over (I was basically looking for a picture) mentioned that, like most rodents, they have to keep their teeth trimmed so that they won't keep on growing and go through their mouths. It mentioned their weight, although they said that there has been some disagreement about top weight - some people say 100 lbs, others say 174. I'd advise you to go to Google and start doing some research. They seemed to have a lot of info.

Critter

CRITTERCALL

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Yes I have looked at google for days, i have already noted down about teeth weight and possible aggression in certain circumstances but i wanted to know how you would restrain and handle them. I have noted down about darting but i was wondering if that was the only option.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 07:24 PM
Princess in Waiting

Restraint and handling may differ from animal to animal, even in the same group. One cat can be held gently in your arms, another will require that you grab two legs in each hand and stretch him out so he can't move.

I suggest that you write to some of the people who actually own these guys and ask them what they do. It's kind of obvious that none of us knows. People who raise them should know (or shouldn't be raising them).

Critter

CRITTERCALL

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-26-2005, 04:47 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Thanks, I will probably ask some of the keepers at my zoo.