Chicago wildlife...well, sort of. - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Animals in the Wild Want to share something about a wild or endangered animal? Look here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

Chicago wildlife...well, sort of.

I've really enjoyed communicating with everyone via this forum. From what I've read, this site is filled with interesting people with a genuine love of animals of all kinds. Many of you are from places where nature is all around, so spotting something "wild" is no big deal. Here in Chicago (like most big cities), it's often not that easy. But just for the heck of it, I thought I'd post a few shots of some of what the area "wilderness" has to offer.

Leopard frog. Photo taken in forest preserves SW of the city.

Yours truly with a garter snake found while on a "bug hunt" for an entomology class.

Oh my gosh... Lions! In Lincoln Park Zoo. Check it out if you come to Chicago. It's a great place...and still free.

Finally, just to prove that there ARE MOOSE IN CHICAGO:

That's it for now. Hope some of you enjoyed it!
<-Steve->

Last edited by <-Steve->; 07-11-2007 at 07:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 08:39 PM
RAT ADDICT

Awesome pics! They are very nice! Cute moose too! What is it made out of? I like it!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 08:42 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

Yea I really like the moose! It kind of reminds me of something from the sculpture garden in DC...the thing that is outside of the art musuem.

*Missy*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 09:05 PM
Princess in Waiting

Cute, Steve. And a good idea. Find the "wildlife" wherever you are!

Love the little snake. We've had a black snake that has lived under a palm tree in front of our house since we moved in - 10 years in August! He suns himself in the driveway, or sometimes I walk out the door and hear him slither under the mulch around the tree. We have an agreement that we won't bother each other!

The moose is cool - somewhat reminds me of the horses in Dallas.

CRITTERCALL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 12:12 AM
Adolescent Pup

When I go to my dad's house in Chicago I love to find the little animals. Just seeing the seagulls at lake michigan is pretty. Its hard to find wildlife in chicago, but I have. I've seen a leoparf frog in a puddle before. It looked so helpless. But it was in a puddle, along the beach, under a shady tree. It was kinda cool seeing it. Lincoln park zoo if luff <3
---
One zoo that is free so people don't have to pay to see pretty animals that actually live among us. Ever since Binky found out african wild dogs were there she's taking me with her to go see em, I think it'll be splendid.
---
That moose reminds me of the horse in the entrance of the children's muesum in navy pier.

I have a feeling I'm not in Illinois anymore.

1 hamster
1 Bearded Dragon
R.I.P. Blue, Nikki, Nosey, Hurley, Roxie.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 03:22 PM

Yep, I remember going to Lincoln Zoo a few years back.

Another cool place in Chicago to check out is Shedd's Aquarium. Not only do they have a lot of cool saltwater fish and inverts, they do have some reptiles!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 03:32 PM
Adolescent Pup

I've been there plenty! Frankfort is only 30-60 minutes away from Chicago (depending on traffic!) I visit alot, well, when I go to my dad's house. One of my hammies does to. They have been to the beach, and have seen the sear's tower (and smelled it!) I make sure they stay cool and have water and food on our trips though. Shedd Aquiarim, Linocln park zoo, Field Muesum, Sox/Cubs, Sear's Tower, people, beaches, Who could not love Chicago!?!

I have a feeling I'm not in Illinois anymore.

1 hamster
1 Bearded Dragon
R.I.P. Blue, Nikki, Nosey, Hurley, Roxie.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 03:55 PM
Princess in Waiting

Isn't the National Zoo in Washington, DC, free? It's been several years since I was there but I seem to remember that......

Central FL is good with theme parks, not good with zoos. The Central FL Zoo, where Jack Hanna got his start, is pretty lame.

CRITTERCALL

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 08:53 PM

Nice pictures!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 09:24 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Smile

Very nice! Thanks for sharing those!

(I just Love the cowboy hat )

Lve Never Fails

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 07:56 AM Thread Starter

Chicago definitely has some "must sees". e.g. The Field Museum, The Art Institute, Shedd Aquarium, Adler Planetarium, and the Museum of Science and Industry, and of course two nice zoos (one's actually in Brookfield) to name a few. The moose is, I think, made of recycled automobile bumpers... kind of corny, but it has its charm I guess. Ah, the cowboy hat - functional and fashionable! Thanks everyone. <-Steve->
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 09:57 PM
RAT ADDICT

I am still checking out those Chicago cows you told me about! There are so many gorgeous ones!!!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-20-2007, 04:16 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Chicago is a very beautiful place. ^.^
I'd never want to move from Illinois.
The Little Red Schoolhouse in... Palos Hills I believe is so fun.
The animals there are so tame and domesticated because people pass through there all the time.
There are a few albino squirrles that will walk right up to you. I saw a albino Raccon there once too. He was shy though. =(