Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

Coyote attack in Suburban NYC

2K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  JBG 
#1 ·
In my area we have recently had numerous coyote attacks on infants and children. The drama started in Rye, NY on June 26 when a child was attacked. That coyote was killed. The action shifted to nearby Rye Brook, where there were numerous attacks over the weekend.

I am pretty sure I saw the "offender" crossing Rockridge Drive, Rye Brook on Saturday, September 4, 2010. Excerpts below:

============================================

After Attacks, Police Kill a Coyote in Westchester
By Patrick McEegan (source, New York Times)

Published: September 6, 2010

Jim Horton’s tale of his encounter with an odd-acting coyote in Rye Brook, N.Y., on Monday sounds like the script of an episode of “When Animals Attack.”

Two residents of the Westchester County village, a 2-year-old girl and her father, had been scratched and bitten by a coyote in the front yard of their family’s home on Sunday evening. That was the second encounter between a Rye Brook resident and an unusually aggressive coyote within an hour.

So, on Monday morning, instead of enjoying the Labor Day holiday, Mr. Horton, an animal control expert hired by the village, and a co-worker were checking traps they had set in the woods near the sites of the attacks. Mr. Horton, unarmed and empty-handed, spotted a mangy adult female coyote that he believed was the culprit and began following her.

Mr. Zuckerman, 28, and his 2-year-old daughter were sitting on a log in front of his father’s house when, out of the corner of one eye, he saw a coyote leaping toward the girl. It scratched her on the arm, drawing blood. Mr. Zuckerman grabbed her and turned his back to shield her. The animal then bit him high on the back of his right leg.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.