duck saga - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Animals in the Wild Want to share something about a wild or endangered animal? Look here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

duck saga

As some of you know we had a male and female mallard that took a liking to our small pond in our yard. They have been visiting us since early spring. I have been trying to figure out of the female has laid any eggs. She has been a bit of a tease not showing up for a few days at a time leading me to believe that she laid her eggs then spending the entire day in my yard! Well Sunday morning at 5:30 I heard the male duck quacking his head off. He would NOT stop! I thought maybe he was mad b/c there was no food out for them. So at 5:30 in the morning in my PJ's with my hair sticking up I went outside to feed them. It was then I spotted the problem - there were 2 males with her! The one was even chasing her. I felt terrible and wished I could tell which was her normal male and which was the brat trying to make the moves on her! Her mate was so sweet and loving with her. Always looking out for her and letting her eat first. I am so annoyed that this egotistical male thinks she is some kind of duck floosey and wants to have his babies now! Okay I know that is not the way it really works but it isn't fair to her mate! I am guess that she must be ready now.
Does anyone know if the chasing is a normal thing in mallard mating? I was tempted to throw peanuts at the one chasing her but heck I was never going to be able to hit him and maybe he was supposed to chase her? I left the food out for them. I think once she ate she flew away and the boys followed. Maybe we will have babies this year after all.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 04:16 PM
Curmudgeon

If there were only two males chasing her, she's a lucky duck indeed. We've had females killed by gangs of males trying to mate with them. Nine or ten (or more) males constantly pursuing them, to the point of exhaustion. Not allowing the female to eat or drink. It's very sad and upsetting to watch, and when they are rehabbed, they might just be released back into the same situation. It's tough to watch at this time of year.

bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 04:33 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Yah at the duck pond I usually see a bunch of males chasing one female
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 09:35 PM
Princess in Waiting

I know that the males do a lot of the "sitting" while the female rests and gets some free time (shopping and such!), but I didn't know that other males would attack her. I only remember having one mallard and she had a broken leg and was almost healed when I got her.

I'm like the rest of you - I'd hate to see that kind of madness going on and would probably end up getting myself hurt trying to stop it! (Or getting my husband hurt if he was with me!)

Hope things settle down and they can raise their family in peace.

Critter

CRITTERCALL

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-13-2006, 08:19 AM Thread Starter

Oh that is terrible! I know I would not be able to stand by and watch those males do that! They better not harass her anymore. I am not afraid of them! Okay, maybe a little afraid but that goes back to a nasty white duck in my childhood that used to go after me. It was a neighbors pet duck and hated little kids. Nasty Daisy duck!
Yesterday, though, I had a funny thing happen. When we were eating dinner our female (or so I thought) came back and was washing up in the pond. I thought it was odd that she was in the pond so long b/c typically our turtle would harrass her until she got out and sat in the stream. I figured since she may be sitting on eggs I'd better get her dinner out. I feed them in a flower bed on the side of our house. I went out the front door to the side of our house with her food and she was already there! I thought she just beat me out front. She did her normal thing. She walked a couple of steps away while I put the food out but didn't leave. I went back in the house to finish my dinner and saw that there was still a female out back! That is when I realized that the female in the pond was really big. I guess that the other pair of ducks that were hanging around the neighborhood finally found our yard. The other larger female is welcome as long as she doesn't pick on our little girl! I think the second male Sunday morning was the larger females mate. I will not hestitate to sick my turtle on him if he bugs my little girl again. He will not be welcome if he cannot behave himself!
I do hope that our pair have babies this year. And if not I hope that they return next year! I just love seeing them out back. I wish her nest was where I could help keep an eye on it. I have no idea where she goes when she leaves our property.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006, 10:28 PM
RAT ADDICT

Sorry to hear the big male was harrassing the female.I once seen like 5 males try and breed with 1 female at the park and it was such a commotion!One male mounted her and was holding her under the water for a looong time, I thought he was killing her!Such a sin...I would hate to be a duck around mating season!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 08:34 AM Thread Starter

Oh that is horrible!

I am happy and worried. I have not seen our little girl duck for about 5 days now. I am hoping that she is tending to her nest. We did have a visit from the larger female last night. She cleaned up in the pond, grabbed a drink and went on her way. I am sure she is tending a nest somewhere. Maybe she will drop by with her babies but I would rather see the little one with babies!

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny

Tags
broken leg