Eek! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Animals in the Wild Want to share something about a wild or endangered animal? Look here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 11:48 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Eek!

I just found this in my garage ....

Charlie killed about 10-12 of them around the outside of the house last week, but this is the first time I've seen one 'inside'.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 11:51 PM
Princess in Waiting

YIikes!! That would not be something I'd want to run into in any part of my house - or outside.

The photography is great, but you can have the spider!

Be careful!

CRITTERCALL

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 12:02 AM

even living over here and dealing with spiders daily i still cannot warm to them yukk !

I have to agree great pic ,it look similar to our red back spider , do you get those at all ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 12:20 AM

Great photography,I love spiders!!

black widow?
Not really one I would want lurking around though! Well,I don't know...I think it looks cute!!
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 12:36 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

I think I just lost 15lbs! that thing is HUGE we have them around here but i have yet to see one and I'll keep it that way thank you . Did you kill it?

My Kids:6
, 5
, 1
, 1
, 1
Gecko, 1 Fiance

Note: My hammocks are not exclusively for rats

post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 12:43 AM

Like Fae, we have those around here, but luckily I've ever seen one.... that would scare the crap out of me... but in photography, it looks awesome... lol
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 04:26 AM
Aspires to Stupidity

HOLEY SMOKES! Are you trying to give me a heartattack? I'm so terrified of spiders, I can't even stand pics of them. EWWY! Kill them all!
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 04:29 AM
Miss New Booty

*shudders* EEK!!! How scary! I would be terrified and screaming! lol One of my biggest bug fears are roaches!

~* Jackie *~

post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 05:09 AM
I Dream Of Tan Title Fairies

Where are the spider experts from PT? I'd like to have a classification. What a great picture.
Though my wife usually reacts like most of you
I'll try to catch spiders found inside the house and take them to our garden. Hoping they kill off lots of bugs and mosquitoes....

He knows the darkness and the light
The heavens and the sea
A horn we raise in welcome to
The god of ecstasy..."

Diana L. Paxson

Rest peacefully,

post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 06:16 AM

Thumbs up Not an expert,but have a love for spiders <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavy Boar

Where are the spider experts from PT? I'd like to have a classification. What a great picture.
Though my wife usually reacts like most of you
I'll try to catch spiders found inside the house and take them to our garden. Hoping they kill off lots of bugs and mosquitoes....

The magnificent spider you see photographed is a black widow.
I think you might find this link informative: Black Widow Spiders - DesertUSA <-click that link

I'm not an expert yet...hopefully someday.
I have only one pet tarantula at the moment...a chilean rose.I named her Charlotte& she's simply gorgeous

Quote:
Caution - Venomous!

The venom of the female black widow spider is 15 times as toxic as the venom of the Prairie Rattlesnake. Only a minute amount of the toxin is injected in a single bite by the spider however, so they are rarely fatal. By comparison, the relatively large amount of injected rattlesnake venom results in about 15 to 25 percent mortality among those bitten.

The bite itself is often not painful and may go unnoticed. But the poison injected by the the Black Widow bite can cause abdominal pain similar to appendicitis as well as pain to muscles or the soles of the feet. Other symptoms include alternating salivation and dry-mouth, paralysis of the diaphragm, profuse sweating and swollen eyelids.

Persons with heart conditions or other health problems may require a hospital stay. (Heart and lung failure may result in death.) A physician can evaluate the severity of the bite, and give specific antivenin or calcium gluconate to relieve pain if necessary. Healthy people recover rapidly in two to five days.
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 06:18 AM
Curmudgeon

No question, a beautiful female Southern Black Widow (Latrodectus mactans). I think these are among the most beautiful creatures on earth. I actually have one in my house right now. I don't really call my spiders pets, but she does live in a plastic box in my library.

I rarely find them around here, but when I do, I just move them away from habitated areas. They really don't tend to wander very much, and since I don't have young children, I don't worry about them very much. It's Brown Recluse that I don't really care for.

bob

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.

Last edited by Mygala; 06-15-2007 at 06:20 AM.
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 06:29 AM

Spiderzrule <-Another site with pics of the spider as well...

& Brown Recluse Spider (Loxosceles reclusa)
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 07:25 AM
I Dream Of Tan Title Fairies

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyraver
The magnificent spider you see photographed is a black widow.
I think you might find this link informative: Black Widow Spiders - DesertUSA <-click that link

I'm not an expert yet...hopefully someday.
I have only one pet tarantula at the moment...a chilean rose.I named her Charlotte& she's simply gorgeous
Oh, well, yes I heard of course of the black widow. I'm glad, this spider isn't a endemic species here... I heard rumors that some are introduced to Europe via the great Harbors like Rotterdam or Hamburg. But now they are gassing the containers with carbon monoxide before unloading to kill all kinds of vermins...

He knows the darkness and the light
The heavens and the sea
A horn we raise in welcome to
The god of ecstasy..."

Diana L. Paxson

Rest peacefully,

Last edited by Cavy Boar; 06-15-2007 at 07:29 AM.
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 07:48 AM

ewwww. you can keep those....lol
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 12:10 PM
Will It Ever Change?

i say just kill it. ugh, not just any spider, one that can hurt you....yuuucckkkkk

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan

Tags
wild animal, wild animals