Feeding squirrels - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Animals in the Wild Want to share something about a wild or endangered animal? Look here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Feeding squirrels

I read a news article that the oak trees in Virginia and surrounding areas produced very few (if any) acorns this year. It reports that many squirrels are malnourished and starving looking for other things to eat. I want to help by putting out some food for the squirrels in my neighborhood. What should I feed them?

Here is a link to the article:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...l?hpid=topnews

Maureen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Six new rats
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 05:14 PM
Princess in Waiting

Squirrels LOVE corn. You can get dried corn on the cob at some place like Lowe's or Home Depot; I used to have a squirrel feeder that was a square strip of wood with long nails in it - you stuck the ears of corn on the nails. They will also eat any kind of bird food you put out. They're pretty much mice with bushy tails when it comes to that sort of stuff; a lot of people get really mad because they try to feed birds during the winter and the squirrels will take over. A friend of mine will also put out pecans or peanuts (in the shell) for hers.

The downside to encouraging squirrels to hang around is that they can be destructive. We had to replace a considerable number of pipes in our house when a squirrel got under the roof and chewed on the pipes. Not good!!

CRITTERCALL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Thanks for the help. We have some birdseed already at home, I just didn't know if that would be particularly good for them. I'll try to get them some corn and nuts to eat too. I plan to put the food out under our trees and not near the house, so hopefully they won't cause problems.

Maureen

Six new rats
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 05:42 PM
Princess in Waiting

If you have any stale bread, cereal - anything of that sort they will eat too. (I used to wean them using whole wheat bread w/their formula.) Use your imagination - they an use those carbs that we try to avoid!!

CRITTERCALL

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-04-2008, 11:45 AM

Oh, I wish that I could help feed them! I absolutely love squirrels. I know that alot of people say that they steal the food from the birds. . . I just say, "put more food out so that there is enough for everyone!" And that is what I try to do. I feed everyone. If you do feed peanuts, get the "unsalted" peanuts. They are better for them. You can get them in the grocery stores. And, if you want to feed them corn and get it cheaper, go to a feed store and get chicken feed by the 50lb bag! Here it is only about $10 to $12.00 a bag. It is basically ground corn. I don't see why they wouldn't eat that. Especially if you put it up in a feeder. It's a thought. And, you can get those bags of dried corn on the cob for practically nothing and can hang those up for them on hangers. Oh, how I wish I were there to go out and feed! We only have an occasional squirrel that visits. Not enough trees in my development yet! But when he comes, boy is he ever fed! LMAO

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-04-2008, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Ok, well I am giving them birdseed so far. I had some other ideas of things that I already have around my house, please let me know if any of these things are NOT ok for them to eat:
Cheerios
Corn flakes/bran flakes/Total cereal
Rat food (lab blocks)
Any type of unsalted nuts
Suet

Thanks!

Maureen

Six new rats
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-04-2008, 12:42 PM

Oh, I think they will like all of those things! You are awesome for feeding them. Thank you so much.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 07:41 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

hello!

I feed the squirrels in my garden too if I eat an apple i throw outside what's left of it, any stale bread etc...

Peanuts are ok, but they're not that good for them, so don't feed them too much of that it can hurt their digestive system!

I had gotten a free pack of pet shop rat food (that had corn so didn't want to give to the ratty) i put all of it outside! the birds ate the millet and little seeds, and the squirrels were ecstatic about all the other things! And in just 2 days, the pack was totally gone!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 10:10 PM
Newborn Pup

Nuts

Tags
acorns, squirrels