Found a baby Canada Goose at work - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Animals in the Wild Want to share something about a wild or endangered animal? Look here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 12:23 AM Thread Starter
Will It Ever Change?

Found a baby Canada Goose at work

So I'd just gotten to work, 7am. I work at a Millwork shop. There are no ponds or anything near us, it's an industrial park. SO i'm sitting outside having a cigarette before I start work, when my coworker Nick looks over my shoulder and says "is that a duck????"

So I turn around and there, out of nowhere, there's this TINY little duckling running around and screaming. It literally came out of nowhere, I didn't see it when I'd arrived 5 minutes earlier, and I aleays hear this kind of thing. It couldn't have been more than 3 days old. It was smaller than a tennis ball. So it runs along the fence line screaming. I KNOW it doesn't belong here, so I chase and catch him, and put him in a small box. I gave him paper towels and a bowl of water. I figured at lunchtime I could call the nearby bird sanctuary and have them come pick him up. I named him Norman . At morning break, 930 am, I check on him and give him cookie crumbs (all I had). It was so cute, he was just sitting in the bowl of water, hanging out lol. I give him fresh water and dry paper towels then go back to work. Lunchtime I do the same thing, fresh towels, water, and cookie crumbs. My coworker Matt also LOVES animals so he tried to look up the bird sanctuary. We couldn't find it, but we did find a wildlife center open until 6pm, so Matt said he'd take Norman there after work. So lunch ends and I go back to work. At afternoon break I do the same, check on him to give him fresh towels, water and crumbs. But when I go to check on him, I found him dead I was sad, I'd had high hopes for him being helped. So then I tried to figure out how he died. The AC is at 21 so it couldn't have been that. The water was fine. I'm sure the cookie crumbs didn't do it because ducks eat way worse garbage than that, but it seriously was all I had to give him. The only thing I can think of, was that he was dropped by a bird of prey. Since he literally came out of nowhere that morning, I can only conclude that he came from above. He had no visible injuries so I ruled out nearby wild pet cats. I suppose he could have had anything happen to him, being caught by a bird wanting to eat him. Plus I don't know how high from the ground he was dropped, but we do have a lot of crows around. I laid his body behind some nice birch trees, and put his box and towels in the garbage. Poor guy *sigh* but boy he was cute. RIP Norman!

He looked like this:

I know my title says canada goose, I really though he was but when I found his pic I realised I was wrong LOL

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 03:29 AM

Awwe, I'm so sorry. At least you let the poor little guy pass on where he felt somewhat safe and not running around in fear. You did good and you did your best. You just never know what had happened before you found the little guy. I'm glad you found him and took care of him. You did a good thing. Rest in Peace Norman.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 07:48 AM
Fashion Animal Freak :)

Aww thats sad!
as mizkity says you done well taking care of him.
Its just the way nature is ! its mean sometimes
I rember i rescued a little sparrow from these magpies that where attacking him he was a baby i ran in between the magpies and grabbed him they where so visious!! i took him and put him in a box and my nana checked him over i called the wildlife place and they said he sounds old so i let him in my room to see if he could fly and he could they told me to keep him over night and let him go in the morning i did he flew of.
Next day i was out in the street and there he was lying dead under a tree the magpies had killed him i felt so bad !!!

Rip Novo, Mummy Loves You x
"To close your eyes will not ease another's pain."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Will It Ever Change?

aww that's rough! yeah it was sad, but he's in peace now

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 06:07 PM
Fashion Animal Freak :)

Rip little guy !! xx

Rip Novo, Mummy Loves You x
"To close your eyes will not ease another's pain."
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 08:27 PM
Part of the Pack

Cool that you tried to help mulder.

Ducks are cool. So are geese for that matter.

Pets are always your friend no matter what.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-30-2008, 09:50 PM
Adolescent Pup

Were they sugar free cookies? All I can think is some sugar free chemicals are deadly to dogs so who knows but yeah people feed the ducks and geese all kinds of weird things and they seem to do fine.

Mary
Quasi - - - - Hyzzie - - - - - Pua - - - Jupiter - - - Kat

&
Angel Stewie

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-30-2008, 11:38 PM Thread Starter
Will It Ever Change?

yeah, no they were normal cookies, chips ahoy. oh well, c'est la vie!!