Found A Baby Sparrow, need advise/help! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Animals in the Wild Want to share something about a wild or endangered animal? Look here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 08:01 AM Thread Starter

Found A Baby Sparrow, need advise/help!

I found a babty sparrow that was about to get eaten by a cat. I brought it inside and have no idea how to take care of it! I am sationed over-seas so I am unable to buy baby bird food. It is in my laundry basket with a small hand towel. I manage to find a few advise but not too certain if it is correct. So far I attempted to feed the bird dry kittie food soaked in water, and then that failed so someone else advised baby cereal which I have as to baby formula. Would those work? I am unable to replace the baby into it's nest as to I live in an apartment and unable to reach the nest that is by the roof on the corner. =( I have it on the roof covered by a towel right now surrounded by bread crumbs and a water bottle cut in half in hopes to attract it's parents.
When I was little girl I found baby blue jays and placed them in the laundry basket and had it hanging on the porch. The babies mother/father came everyday to feed them and once they were strong enough I released them into the tree where their parents live. I am hoping this will be the same for this little baby bird. Although it is VERY hot and I am concerned it might not make it.

any advise is apreciated

Christina
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 10:10 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Is it injured? Nine times out of ten birds found are actually fledglings and meant to be on the ground, learning to fly. It may be best to just put him back where you found him.

http://www.tc.umn.edu/~devo0028/advice4.htm
http://www.messingerwoods.org/babybirds.htm

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 10:37 AM
Princess in Waiting

Is it feathered? If so, I agree with what Jade says. If not, the mom will often push the baby out of the nest if it has some sort of problems that she instinctively knows.

A laundry basket and towel aren't enough warmth for a baby bird - especially if it isn't feathered. It needs to be in an enclosed box with towels and preferably sitting on a heating pad turned on Low with a towel folded between the box and the heating pad.

This baby doesn't know how to eat anything except what his Mom was giving him so you are best to find one food and stick with it until it gets the hang of it. I always fed kitten food soaked in warm water. I always kept a dish sitting beside the bird so that I could feed it every time I went by. They can eat as much as every house because they have such a high metabolism.

Good luck with this guy! Hope all turns out well with it.

CRITTERCALL

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

I have a heating pad for him that i use when he is indoors. I had him in the basket with the towel and aluminum to keep him from taking off when I went outside. It's prrety hot outside. I went ahead and placed him in a smaller box with a bunch of toilet paper and alumnium foil around the outer part of it to help keep the heat in. It has feathers and actually looks "old" enough to be out and about, but I put him on the roof where he can be near his parents, then on the floor for some cat.

I now have another baby bird, only this one is VERY small. Small as in it's eyes are closed and it has no feathers at all. I managed to get ahold of a wildbird person that has given me advise on what to feed the baby bird.

Warm water mixed with hard cat-food, half a calcium pill crushed, smashed/chopped blue berries, plain yogurt, wax worms or meal worm mix together and then drain the water out but enough to keep the food moist.

So far this one is eating and is definitely snuggled in alot of warm clothing plus a heating pad.

Thanks everyone for your replies!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 08:58 PM
Princess in Waiting

Another important thing, especially for the younger guy, is to put him into a bowl of some sort. Something nest-shaped. (I always used cool whip containers lined w/paper towels.) This shape is very important to the proper development of their legs.

Good luck. I'm glad to be of any help that I can.

CRITTERCALL

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."