Guess what just moved in! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Animals in the Wild Want to share something about a wild or endangered animal? Look here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

Guess what just moved in!

Last night my shepard/corgi mix Amber was barking her head off at the back of the house so Logan went to investigate. He came and knocked on the back door and told me to come out. In the middle of our back yard sat an armadillo!!!!!! He looked kinda young we are thinking around a year. It was so cool to see, Logan had walked up right next to him before he seen him the first time and he didnt care that Logan was there at all! I am so happy!

So now living in my yard is:
a family of ground hogs
a family of opossums
a wild turkey (possible family think we found a dead chick after a bad storm last spring)
an armodillo
shrews
mice (of course)
woodpeckers
the fatest squirles
rabbits beyond believe
I am just waiting on a deer

weirdest part I live in the middle of town I am litterly 3 blocks from main street and 2 other big streets, but these guys have all set up shop here so I atleast know they are safe here. We have just over 2 acres so they have room. I love it. we put corn out for the ground hogs, and have wild black berries growing so I guess that is why they all moved in. Its so cool.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006, 05:39 PM

Thats pretty neat ... I have plenty of fat squirles but nothing else
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006, 05:55 PM

Haha, yep, all we've got are fat squirrels and birds (mostly pigeons). At our old place we had a family of raccoons and a family of bald eagles in our tree!

That's really cool that you've got so much wildlife around
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006, 05:57 PM

Wow, thats so fun! I love seeing wildlife in my yard. I usually only see birds and sometimes squirrels, oh and about 5 different stray cats, but its still neat.

Oh, my name is Amber too, say hi to your Amber for me
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-24-2006, 03:51 AM
Princess in Waiting

Now go back and read about property development running animals out of their natural habitats!!

I've rehabbed many squirrels, but since they are systematically ruining the water pipes in our house I don't have quite the fondness for them that I once had! A friend and I used to swap - she'd take the squirrels and I'd get the raccoons. She'd drink coffee on her patio in the a.m., always taking a handful of nuts with her, because they usually released themselves in her yard. They would come eat the nuts and visit for a while with her. I thought that was too cool. In FL the squirrels are SKINNY! Too hot to wear too much fat and a fur coat. I fed them for a long time - not now!!

I was on my way to feed birds at my friend's aviary on a.m. and saw a deceased armadillo in the middle of the other lane of the road. Running late - as usual - I made a vow to myself that I would at least get it out of the road if it was still there when I got home. Six hours later there it was, same position it had been in. I had paper towels in the car so I got a couple (as if I weren't already dirty!) and grabbed it by the tail with the thought of just flipping it over into the grass. HA! I couldn't even lift the thing with one hand. I finally had to drag it off the road and that wasn't easy. One of my vets used to call them possoms on the half shell.

At one time I put some pictures of "Dinner for a Party of Six" - six or so vultures dining on a really squished armadillo almost in front of my driveway. I left that one alone! Those birds don't look like something I'd want to mess with!

Animals outside? For a while we had a pileated woodpecker - if you have never seen one look it up because they are beautiful. Squirrels. A few birds. A gazillion anoles (I love them!) Moles. Mole Crickets-weird creatures who have a goal in life to destroy your yard. One dry summer we had gross huge rats, trying to get to the pool for water. I told them to go to the lake that less than a block away. A black snake that lives under my palm tree in the front yard. Can't think of anything else.

What fun! Enjoy your armadillo, but remember that they are not friendly animals, and that they have two rows of spikey teeth that look like they could do some danger!

Critter

CRITTERCALL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 02:49 PM

Of all the things i love about living in canada i think the animals are my favorite. We have deer, bunnies, bald eagles, robins, ducks, and even bears in the summer (have to be careful with the garbage ). To me there is nothing better than catching a glimpse of nature each time i look out the window. The only thing i dont like about having these creatures in the neighbourhood is the steadily increasing amount of them being hit by cars. This is a rural area and people seem to think that it is okay to speed through our streets hitting and leaving deer and rabbits. I have asked the city to put up signs, though i doubt it would make much difference. *Sigh* its a blessing and a curse to have these sweet creatures roaming around.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 02:59 PM
Formerly Known as mya_papaya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phawn
Of all the things i love about living in canada i think the animals are my favorite. We have deer, bunnies, bald eagles, robins, ducks, and even bears in the summer (have to be careful with the garbage ). To me there is nothing better than catching a glimpse of nature each time i look out the window. The only thing i dont like about having these creatures in the neighbourhood is the steadily increasing amount of them being hit by cars. This is a rural area and people seem to think that it is okay to speed through our streets hitting and leaving deer and rabbits. I have asked the city to put up signs, though i doubt it would make much difference. *Sigh* its a blessing and a curse to have these sweet creatures roaming around.
do u live near quesnel or williamslake or sumfin O.o

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
i love my lil baby sebastien!!!!! almost 11 months old. baby on the way.......... due april 18 2010..... its a boy!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 03:35 PM

I live on vancouver island .
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 04:48 PM

i didnt no there were bears on vancouver island i live in surrey

i love my lil baby sebastien!!!!! almost 11 months old. baby on the way.......... due april 18 2010..... its a boy!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 05:49 PM

Yeah we have black bears and cougars too.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 06:07 PM

theres some coyotes that live down by the creek that connects to my back yard the other night they were out there howling and i heard a cat screaming and growling in the background.... poor kitty!

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 10:14 PM
Princess in Waiting

I'd have camera in hand and be peaking outside windows constantly!What fun. Then it gets to be even more fun when they get used to looking at you and you can walk closer and closer to them. The telephoto lens comes in handy!

Critter

CRITTERCALL

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-08-2006, 12:40 AM Thread Starter

WE GOT BABIES!!!!!! We have 4 very couriouse, very friendly little babies!
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-08-2006, 01:14 AM

be warned they are hurenduse diggers so if you have garden keep it fenced in well and a few feet deep
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-08-2006, 05:36 AM
Paw Talk's prodicle son .

I live in surrey too Croydon Surrey.

In our town there is anarchy between the wildlife, we have Obese squirels, Grumpy crows, murderous magpies that will attack anything for a chance of a meal, even a Swift, if a magpie knocks one of them out of the sky there's no way he will get back into the air as their legs are underformed.

Also we now have a problem with Foxes attacking domestic cats, dogs even though their owners are walking them, and most recently a garden tortoise was mauled by foxes, luckily it survived.

the main reason we are having problems with foxes now is because the local Council provided the houses of Addiscombe with wheelie bins, now the foxes cant get at any food, before this the the lazy foreign dustman who couldn't be bothered to walk past your gate insisted we left our rubbish in black bags outside on the pathway at the side of the road, of course the foxes and domestic cats were loving it and people were losing their pet cats because their was more food for pickings outside than in the home.

Once the Cats and foxes were a team now the foxes have become the hunter again, I did advise barbara not to get a new cat due to the recent spate of attacks on householders cats, but she got penny and Tuppence the other day.

over on the allotments the foxes have a more wild lifestyle and somewhat rougher, and Stuart and I saw a Fox take a Rat alive and chomp on it, despite the risk it could have been poisioned, also about the time when I wrote an article for the book of addiscombe some years ago there was heavy rain shortly after the first Fox cubs emerged, and between various plot owners and myself we managed to find 5 drowned fox cubs along the chaffinch brook.

I dont mind the Foxes at the allotment but they are public enemy no 1 in the town.

* sings *

He's in the Jailhouse now , he's in the Jailhouse now , well I told him once or twice .

To stop chewing wood and Pooping nice , he's in the jailhouse now.

Last edited by Toky-Ohki; 07-08-2006 at 05:40 AM.

Tags
black bear, black bears, poor kitty, stray cats