HELP - Orphaned ?Opossum? VERY YOUNG - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Animals in the Wild Want to share something about a wild or endangered animal? Look here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-19-2004, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

HELP - Orphaned ?Opossum? VERY YOUNG

My son found this tiny little rodent swimming for it's life in our pool a couple of hours ago.

I'm THINKING it's a very young ?opossum?... one to two inches long IF that much..

It is fully furred (except the legs and tail of course) and does have it's eyes opened. It's a fiesty lil thing and def bites... teeth are not strong enough to break the skin but certainly strong enough to let you know he's serious lol

I've been trying to call what rehab numbers I can find online as well as the number our vet gave us but I'm getting no answers, out of service, and extended busy signals

I picked up some pedialyte and some Esbilac in hopes of keeping him from dehydrating. IF he is an opossum he really still needs to be with his mother but sigh.... no clue where she is since he was found drowning in our backyard pool.

He's EXTREMELY DIFFICULT to handle...he's just so darned fiesty that it's almost impossible to keep him in your hand and just when you think you've got him...he bites ya...so feeding him or helping him to urinate so far is impossible for us

I know the pics are bad...but click this link to see what we have so far...
http://www.picolio.com/Gallery/view_...rphanedOpossum

Does he look like an opossum to you or something else? (Note: Found in Central Florida)

Any ideas of rehabbers that may be willing to take him that are somewhere around the Orlando area? If he is an opossum s/he is not something I'm skilled enough to care for at this time and he'd be so young that he needs IMMEDIATE care. I'm worried he could die today if the right things are not done...though so far he seems very quick and strong lol.

Currently he is in a ten gallon aquarium with a saucer of pedialyte just in case he's capable of lapping it and he has a heat lamp well above him to keep the bedding and cloth baby diapers warm that are around him (he likes to burrow into the diapers) as well as one toilet paper roll for cave fun...

Help????????

- Deb

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-19-2004, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Ya know.... opossums have white faces don't they?

Wish I knew for sure what this is... if it's just a mouse then he's not "as young" but if he's an opossum his size dictates that he's still very young...

He has a LOT of teeth though... no prominent front teeth..just a mouth full of teeth... that make me think opossum

I'm so confuzzled....

- Deb

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-19-2004, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

HA

I bet it's a shrew....

http://www.enature.com/fieldguide/sh...&recnum=MA0055

- Deb

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-19-2004, 02:39 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Yeah, he definitely looks more like a shrew. I have found baby opossums before and they didn't look like that guy at all. I was also able to pick them up and hold them and they didn't bite me. I hope you are able to save him!

Rats have rights...& mice too!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-19-2004, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Did a few quick searches and feel 99.999% confident this was in fact a young...but not too young...shrew.... e.g. able to fend for himself as long he doesn't decide to take a dive in our pool again.

We took him across the street to the walking trail area (heavily wooded plenty of ground to tunnel away in etc) and set him free where he quickly burrowed under the leaves and into the ground

Mother Nature has her baby back to care for as she sees fit

His hostile biting nature is what really got us to search a little harder... just didn't seem very nice for a possum to act that way lol

- Deb

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-19-2004, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Just for clarity I updated the album name... so the above link to images will no longer work.... it's now at:

http://www.picolio.com/Gallery/view_...ame=Wild_Shrew

Figured best not to advertise it as something it wasn't

- Deb

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-19-2004, 04:28 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

I'm glad the little fiesty guy/girl was able to be returned to the wild I hope he/she doesn't jump back into your pool!

Rats have rights...& mice too!