Hummingbirds - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Animals in the Wild Want to share something about a wild or endangered animal? Look here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-23-2005, 12:46 AM Thread Starter

Hummingbirds

I don't have pictures because we don't have a camera advanced enough to snap shots but I wish I did. I have ocassionally spotted a hummingbird buzzing around my deck so this year I decided to put up a feeder. Well let me tell you, I had no idea what little pigs they were and how many would actually show up. You have to clean the feeder every 2 to 3 days. I'm lucky to have any food (water/sugar solution) left by the 2nd day! They also feed from sun up to sun down. Who knew it would be so lucrative for hummingbird watching. We only have one species in the east which is the ruby throated. They are getting bolder though and don't fly away as quickly so I am hoping to eventually get a shot of them.

Anyone else have a hummingbird feeder or gardens?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-23-2005, 02:15 AM

It's funny that you bring them up, Dena!
Just today, we were standing out side in Tim's parents' garden and I noticed a tiny little bird sitting on the wire that runs electricity to the barns from the house. It turned it's head and I could see the really long beak. I was stunned! I've never seen them sitting still before! It proceeded to the feeder that was nearby, then took off towards the neighbours garden.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-30-2005, 06:19 PM
Dinky Corsetkisser

My grandparents neighbors get alot of them every year they have 15 feeders all over their porch...well last year they were cleaning spider webs down and found a hummingbird nest, its so tiny, they left it be and they had babies...we took my daughter to see them and she was amazed....they are so much fun to just watch...we have 3 feeders up I live in Fresno Ca and there seem to be alot more this year, my dogs and the wild cats all ignore them here...we can sit right under the feeder and they still come...I just love it

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-01-2005, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

Your lucky on the west coast, I think you get 3 or 4 different species. Here we only have 1 species. I have notice though, that since we put up the feeder more and more different types of birds have been hanging around my deck. A little gold finch was sitting on my railing yesterday. I would love to put out other types of bird feeders out but I live in the middle of the woods surrounded by wildlife that sometimes you just don't want too close to your house. Plus I have tons of Red Tailed hawks that love to hunt in my back yard. Putting up bird feeders would be like setting up hawk bait and that just isn't my idea of bird watching.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-01-2005, 12:23 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Yep, we have 3 hummingbird feeders. I think we have about 5 hummingbirds hanging around here. When I sit on the back porch they buzz my head and one time I had one try to land on my shoulder.

We found a nest last year. It's amazing how small those eggs are!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rhonda