Lions and SPIDERS and bears oh my!! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Animals in the Wild Want to share something about a wild or endangered animal? Look here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-24-2005, 07:51 AM Thread Starter
Princess in Waiting

Lions and SPIDERS and bears oh my!!

I think most that know my know that I'm not tremendously friendly with spiders. Mostly a live and let live relationship.

This was until they took up residence in my pantry in the kitchen. I don't have any idea what kind the are. Their front (head) is rather small and dark and their rear ends are, in comparison, huge and white. Possibly pregnant? It has reached the point that our food stays all over the bar and kitchen counters because I hate to open the pantry door and run into those darn spider webs.

I guess I'm a baby about them, but they really give me the willies! I hate running my hand in there and having it go through all those webs. I shudder just thinking about it!

We are up to our noses in moths in the bird food, if anyone has any suggestions about dealing with that. I have just assumed that one follows the others. What really got to me was when my nephew got a bite on the leg by a brown recluse spider a few weeks ago so now I'm really a Chicken Little.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Obviously we're going to have to clean out the entire pantry (not huge, thank goodness) and either clean thouroughly what comes out or discard. I have wondered if putting some of the plastic coated wiring shelves in there instead of the solid wood ones would do anything besides look better.

Please help me! I'm an old lady (compared to you guys!) and don't want to have a heart attack when I open my pantry!!

Critter

CRITTERCALL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-24-2005, 09:11 AM
Wants to Hug Hose Bunnies

I wish i could help but I have no idea!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-24-2005, 10:20 AM
I live in a Pigdom

The moths can be fixed in future bags of food by freezing them as it kills the eggs. For the ones in the house they will die soon enough but others may pop up.

Spiders are not my cup o'tea, I have resorted to calling neighbors in the wee hours of the night when my husband was out of state to kill the lil' BLEEPS! If I had to clean out all those webs or just feel them I would be hysterical! Good luck!

Adopt a pet today!
Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out. But I can usually shut her up with cookies.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-24-2005, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
Princess in Waiting

My brave Viet Nam vet gets aggravated with me when I start in on the pantry. He tells me just to close the door!

Crittercall
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-27-2005, 07:44 AM
Curmudgeon

The spider you describe sounds like one of the harmless "house spiders". I wouldn' worry about any spider that builds a web, that isn't black.

Freezing the bags like Crazy said is the best long term solution.

For now, to deal with the spiders, (personally I'd keep them, but you know I LIKE spiders) I'd just get a small broom or duster, and use it to clean out the webs and spiders. Do it every day. Eventually the spiders will starve or leave ..and be gone.

You have also got to deal with the moths. If there were no food available, there wouldn't be spiders in the first place.

Bob

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-27-2005, 08:26 AM Thread Starter
Princess in Waiting

Yeah, but getting rid of the food for the moths means getting rid of the birds and I can't (won't) do that!!

At the Bird Store where we buy food, etc. he advised us to put the food in a shallow baking dish and bake it for ? time, then bag them and freeze them. Looks to me like the baking would just hatch them that much faster. But what do I know? For a while we were storing the food in small batches in those electric things that sucks the air out to store food (too eloquent with words this a.m.) That seemed to work just as well as anything.

Are you a giraffe person or is that just a cute picture? The director of the L'ville KY zoo took us on a personal tour one day and among the many cool things I saw was walking through one of the back hallways and into the opening and coming fact to check with a baby giraffe. It was awesome!!

Critter

CRITTERCALL

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-27-2005, 08:54 AM
Curmudgeon

I used to have those seed moths too. They came in on the seed I fed at our outdoor feeders. They were a horrible pain in the buttocks for months.

I eventually got rid of them by putting all the seed in containers outside in the winter, and then a massive cleaning effort.

If you are keeping the food inside the house, keeping it in airtight bags or containers is a good step, but it will take weeks to get rid of all the moths as they will be in various stages of growth around the house.

Ultimately, I bought a couple of those galvanized metal garbage cans, and used them to hold the seed OUTSIDE on the deck.

(...additionally, you could also think of this is just another good reason to switch the birds over to a completely pelleted diet.)

Bob

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-27-2005, 09:46 PM
Herp Nerd

I used to have the moths in my bird's food as well, I switched to food containers with screw-on lids and haven't had them since.

As for spiders, the vacuum is a good, easy method of being rid of them without getting too close or having them tangle up in a broom. If you keep on top of it and get rid of them as you see them, their population will drop.

She sits in her corner, singing herself to sleep.
Wrapped in all of the promises, that no one seems to keep.