Lucky, the not so lucky sparrow... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Animals in the Wild Want to share something about a wild or endangered animal? Look here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-18-2005, 09:20 AM Thread Starter

Lucky, the not so lucky sparrow...

yesterday my dad found a sparrow hopping around in my yard, actually my dog found it and he went and told my dad. my dad gave it to me to take care of, and I'm pretty sure he has a broken leg. I have him in a carrier, and am going to get a small wire cage. he is also missing an eye, so I don't think that even if we can fix his leg that I will be able to release him, I think he would have trouble landing and getting food. does anyone have any idea how I can help his leg?
Robin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-18-2005, 10:16 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

try to keep him still and try and find an exotic/wild animal vet.

that's great of you to help him out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-18-2005, 10:57 AM
Princess in Waiting

In lieu of a vet you could try to splint the leg yourself with a wooden matchstick (I'm trying to think of something wooden and short!) You're right; the missing eye would cause him a lot of problems. You may be better off trying to find a local wildlife center who would fix him up then keep him in a flight cage on their premises. Being injured as he is will make him easy prey for bigger animals - like your dog or a cat, etc.

Good luck - there a few people that I have run into who are really interested in working with a bird as common as a sparrow to try to rehab them and let them have the life they deserve. It's sad that they feel that way, but it's usually one of those cases of "look the other way".

Critter

CRITTERCALL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-2005, 06:23 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Good luck ! I rescued two sparrows...one made it and was released and the other died after a week .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-2005, 08:08 PM
Princess in Waiting

My experience has been that some people have a real knack for working with song birds and others don't. But those of us who love working with wildlife will always try!!

What were/are you feeding them? Everything I read and the class I took suggested that you soak kitten chow in hot water until it is soft but holds its shape so that you can drop it into the bird's mouth. Curiuos about what others do.

Critter

CRITTERCALL

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-25-2005, 09:54 AM Thread Starter

well, Im afraid we lost little lucky, he was severly dehigrated, and he wouldnt take any foor or water. at least he wasn't outside when we got the 15 inches of snow, hopefully I'll have better luck in the spring with my anual robin rescue.
Robin
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-25-2005, 11:43 AM
Princess in Waiting

I'm sorry that happened. Baby birds are so hard to raise and they give you no hint as to when they are taking a turn for the worst. And it hurts whether you have had them for one day or 10; they become our own babies for a little while. I'm glad that you had him for a while and learned something for next time, 'cause it looks to me like you are wanting to be a song bird person!

Criter

CRITTERCALL

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2005, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

song bird, squack bird, any bird!! except maybe geese....
Robin
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2005, 03:37 PM
Princess in Waiting

We raised a gaggle of Canada geese once - what a hoot!! They thought my daughter was their Mama. I have videos of them running through the back yard behind her. We took them to a cemetary with several other geese and ponds to release. For several months afterwards they remembered her when we would go out there and come to us for food. But they eventually realized that they were being silly geese and kept with their own. It was fun - but messy. Nothing like a plastic pool in a bedroom full of geese, newspaper, and lots of poop!! They were moved to a dog pen outside as soon as they were big enough.

Critter

CRITTERCALL

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

lots of poop I'm sure, thats cool that you did that for a whole flock of them, that's a lot of early morning feedings, hehe
Robin
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 11:19 AM
Eli
Movin' Up in the Pack

hey send the geese my way lol

Tags
baby birds, broken leg, wild animal, wire cage