Meerkat Manor - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Animals in the Wild Want to share something about a wild or endangered animal? Look here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Meerkat Manor

So, some people have criticized the new show, Meerkat Manor, for it's non-interference policy: see "Criticism" section of
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meerkat_Manor

So, what do you think? Do they own the meerkat that they are filming the right to stay alive or are they doing right by not interfering?
Is this exploitation or not?

I think that Meerkat Manor is an ok show. Yes, it was saddening to watch Shakespeare die from snake venom and sometimes I just have to flip the channel when a predator shows up because I know what might happen. But sometimes it could be pretty cool. I really don't know where I stand. I read that they euthanize one of the animals if TB is contracted but not if there is something like snake venom. They also don't interfere with predator-prey relations. However, they manage to apply some kind of Soprano-style plot to the whole thing.

Whaddyou think?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pet Parent to:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Golden/Labrador Retriever: Maxine

My Two Favorite Dwarf Hamsters:

Love you buddy, I'll see you later: Ozzy

Gone, but never forgotten: Drix

I liked this smiley so I just had to add it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 11:09 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

well the point of the show is to show the NATURAL life of meerkats so... i guess i don't think they should interfere. since if one dies from a snake then something else will probably eat it. if they took it or put it down then it could put other things out of balance.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

true. true. it is a good approach to learning natural behavior. and a little funny at times with the idea of the feuding families

Pet Parent to:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-26-2008, 03:06 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I don't really have a problem with the show. If they saved the meerkats from predators and other dangers then they'd be taking away a meal from another animal. I would actually be upset if they DID interfere.

People need to get over it, they're prey animals.

Oh, and I don't really watch the show much. I'm not a big TV person. But I did enjoy it when I watched it (the first few episodes that were on) .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-26-2008, 12:06 PM
RAT ADDICT

I actually never seen the show ever.Not a big TV person.

However by the sounds of it,I would rather they not interfere.It is nature afterall.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-26-2008, 01:55 PM

When at home, i watched it on my parents satellite and i liked it
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-26-2008, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator

I was under the impression that the reason they were recording the meerkats was for reasearch, and then after they decided to make it into a show for animal planet. They're weren't out there just to make a show. So I would say that it was good that they didn't interfere, because the whole point is to learn how meerkats live naturally.

I could be wrong though, but that's what I thought.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2008, 02:25 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

yea, it is cool to see the little meerkats and their silly shinanigans. (big possibility i mispelled that word)

Pet Parent to:

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonrain View Post
I was under the impression that the reason they were recording the meerkats was for reasearch, and then after they decided to make it into a show for animal planet. They're weren't out there just to make a show.
Sorry to bump this thread back from the dead, but we were looking for some forums to visit where people were interested in Meerkats and so this seemed like a natural place to check in.

You are exactly right Dragonrain, the Meerkat Manor show is produced by Oxford Scientific Films for Animal Planet. The meerkat "families" you see in the series are just a few in over 15 families of meerkats being studied in the Kalahari Desert by KMP (the Kalahari Meerkat Project). Here's a link to their website:
http://www.kalahari-meerkats.com/

For any of you animal lovers that do watch the show, there is a full length feature film based on Flower premiering on Animal Planet this weekend, as well as the new season starting on June 6th.

We've got some clips from the Meerkat Movie (trailer and exclusive behind the scenes footage) on our YouTube page and will be adding more teaser clips from the upcoming season shortly...you can check us out here:
http://www.youtube.com/AnimalPlanetTV

I hope to keep this thread active throughout the season for any of you meerkat fans and please feel free to email me with any questions you guys may have about the show!

[email protected]

Thanks!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-24-2008, 12:32 AM

Awesome! Thanks for the info! I love watching this show, and I think it's great we have television like this that educates people, drums up interest for animals, and happens to entertain at the same time. What's not to love about that? I need to set up my DVR to record the movie so I can watch it later since I will be gone all weekend during the day.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 03:27 PM

I love watching meerkat manor. Me and my kids sit down and watch it. Well we used to when it was on but now we wait for it!

Tags
animal planet