The mice are back - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Animals in the Wild Want to share something about a wild or endangered animal? Look here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

The mice are back

So just about 10 minutes ago,a wild mouse comes out...not afraid of me,my daughter or the cats.He stands there in plain view sniffing the air for about 2 minutes before finally taking off.

Now some of you may remember awhile ago,I had dealt with these.The whole building did.This building is over 30+ yrs old and I know their are many mice and even rats (I had a wild one hanging out here a couple yrs ago) down in the basement.The landlord put poison out,I had snap traps out (which I will be using again...I have no choice,so do not even dare call me cruel...I rather kill the wild mice then have them make my daughter or pets sick,getting into my food...etc,etc) and for awhile after I got the cats,their seemed,to be NO more mice.There were never signs of mice around and I felt pretty comfortable that they were gone.

But after seeing that one today...that means that they are moving back in and have no problems with the cats or anyone else.I do not keep food out in the open and have pet food stored in rubbermaid containers/bins...but they must be attracted to my pet rats/mice (actually the mice,since rats are natural predators of mice).Or maybe there is an infestation down in the basement again (only the landlord has access to there) and they are just moving up here.If you see one mouse,there are guaranteed to be more.

I actually rather not kill them...however I have no choice.I wanted to use those super sonic devices which apparently keep mice and rats away,but because I have PET rodents,this is not a good idea.And as for the humane traps,I am not sure how that would work...because I would have to travel a great distance to release them,so they don't come back and this whole neighborhood is full of houses.The nearest feild is a ways away.

This is frustrating.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 02:31 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

There is nothing you can do to permanently get rid of mice. They will always make home in our homes, because it is convenient. They don't need to worry about predators from the outside world; and can get everything they need to live, and be sheltered from the elements. The only way to permanently get rid of them is to ...well, stop living in a building. *shrugs* From building on THEIR land, our species has irreverently caused them to move into our homes. So unless you wanna knock down all the buildings in the area to entice them to move back outside, there's really no permanent fix that you can do. It is what it is.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 03:29 PM
Hello Earthling

That sucks...

Have you tried crawling around on the floor looking for openings? Looked in all the cabinets etc.. for openings?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 07:30 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Yuck. While snap traps would be my bet, do you think it would help the infestation? I mean you can only kill so many, and they breed so fast...

What is the building owner doing about it? I'm almost positive there has to be some kind of law that says he has to do something...
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 08:10 AM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlickeringHope View Post
There is nothing you can do to permanently get rid of mice. They will always make home in our homes, because it is convenient. They don't need to worry about predators from the outside world; and can get everything they need to live, and be sheltered from the elements. The only way to permanently get rid of them is to ...well, stop living in a building. *shrugs* From building on THEIR land, our species has irreverently caused them to move into our homes. So unless you wanna knock down all the buildings in the area to entice them to move back outside, there's really no permanent fix that you can do. It is what it is.
Maybe so.

However we had NO mice in our old apartment,so I never had to worry about them.It only seems to be a problem since moving here.I have been here about 3 yrs now.And for awhile the mouse problem seemed to be gone or at least not too bad.

And I am very aware that rats and mice breed so fast and can even become/build up immunities to poisons and such...but I have to do something,because otherwise we are at risk.If I don't do anything and they decide to come in and just start breeding everywhere because there are no dangers here...well...blah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by becrac16 View Post
Yuck. While snap traps would be my bet, do you think it would help the infestation? I mean you can only kill so many, and they breed so fast...

What is the building owner doing about it? I'm almost positive there has to be some kind of law that says he has to do something...
Your right,traps won't stop infestation.But they will get some of the mice.I am just worried about my pets or daughter (or me even) catching something,as wild mice and rats carry diseases.My pet rodents are more at risk then me I believe.

He was putting poison down in the basement and outside around/in the corners,and it seemed to work for a bit...but obviously not for good or long.And I am not sure if he is doing anything now.There are 8 buildings in this place,but as far as I know the majority of the rodents live in the basement.

* Lisa *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 08:12 AM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiancritter View Post
That sucks...

Have you tried crawling around on the floor looking for openings? Looked in all the cabinets etc.. for openings?
I know where there are two openings for sure.In the kitchen under the sink there is a hole and in the living room there is a rat hole from when the wild rat was here.She has been gone for awhile now and I have that hole blocked off.

But the one under the sink is not yet blocked and I am not sure how to block that one off,since it is where the pipe goes through.

There may be other openings too,but I have not found any yet.

* Lisa *

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 10:04 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

You should contact the landlord as soon as possible, and definitely look into laws about that kind of stuff. In my personal experience, almost all landlords are a$$holes and will try and get out of doing what they should be doing, unless you bring up the law. Mice are def a HUGE health hazard, and there needs to be something more done than putting poison out. Because if they're coming up from the basement, that must mean that there are a lot of them...
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Yup.I will talk to him as soon as I see him,I lost his number...he is usually around though,but it is a matter of time for us to meet up...since I have not been home a lot lately.

But I found a mouse under my pillow last night on the couch.I am not afraid of mice,especially since I have PET rats and mice,but I was not expecting the mouse and it leaped and man did I scream like a little girl!

* Lisa *

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 06:10 PM
Hello Earthling

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaRat View Post
I know where there are two openings for sure.In the kitchen under the sink there is a hole and in the living room there is a rat hole from when the wild rat was here.She has been gone for awhile now and I have that hole blocked off.

But the one under the sink is not yet blocked and I am not sure how to block that one off,since it is where the pipe goes through.

There may be other openings too,but I have not found any yet.

You could try expanding insulating foam (Great Stuff) that might work.

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

You mean like that "caulking" stuff?

* Lisa *

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 06:13 PM
Hello Earthling

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaRat View Post
You mean like that "caulking" stuff?

Its stuff they spray around windows. People also use it when they make false backgrounds in reptile enclosures.

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 06:14 PM
Hello Earthling

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Oh that! Okies,I could definitely pick some up and try it! No harm in trying.

* Lisa *

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 06:21 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Ugh, a mouse under the pillow??? YUCK. If you were really concerned about your daughter, I think you should go to a neighbor and ask for the landlords number...
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by becrac16 View Post
Ugh, a mouse under the pillow??? YUCK. If you were really concerned about your daughter, I think you should go to a neighbor and ask for the landlords number...
What do you mean IF I am really concerned for my daughter?

* Lisa *