My bb season has started - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Animals in the Wild Want to share something about a wild or endangered animal? Look here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-29-2003, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Moving Out to Accommodate Her Pets

My bb season has started

On the weekend i released the 4 opossum that i had to winter from last yr (they were born way to late in the yr to release last fall) and when i got home it was to a message to come to the center to pick up my first 5 opossum joeys. I have put pics in my webshots album of the joeys and the release if anyone wants to take a look. It is always with mixed feelings when bb season comes.... I love looking after these critters (mostly squirrels and opossum but i had 11 skunks here last yr) but i really wish there was no need for my services lol. These five came into us still attached to mom who had been hit by a car and a very caring lady got out of her car and checked the dead opossum and there they were 5 cute little living bb's that needed help. She brought the whole carcass in to the center without detaching the joeys, which is advised if at all possible because of the risk of breaking the joeys jaw when detaching them, but sometimes this is not possible.

http://community.webshots.com/user/possummomca

Pets are for life
Not just for xmas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-29-2003, 02:50 PM
Chim-Chim GizzardFanny!

The joeys are so cute and tiny! How much do they weigh? I'd love to rescue animals! Are you a vet tech or anything?

Alicyn

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-29-2003, 03:17 PM
I Think I Need a Bigger Bear

omg, they're so cute!!!!! Those little faces - I just love em!

What you do is great...Keep up the good work.

~ Jodi ~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-29-2003, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

I did my vet assist course some 20 yrs ago by correspondence lol. But have worked in vets offices and wildlife center. I started out working at the center but with all the foster bb's i ended up just taking them into my home here instead of working there and transporting bb's back and forth.
These little ones average about 50g. I like to take them in anywhere after 30g. Before that they quite often don't make it . They are just too tiny and usually the whole trauma and shock kills them. But these guys will be just fine and are eating like little horses lol.

Pets are for life
Not just for xmas
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-29-2003, 03:32 PM
Princess in Waiting

Cool

I tried a couple of those guys without good luck. Not much info to read (no internet at that time!) and didn't know anybody to talk to. The class I took in Ohio suggested euthanizing - I think that was their answer to all wildlife.

Like you I got my start as a tech who took home anything that someone brought in! Although raccoons are my favorite, I've tried just about everything I think.

Your guys are cute. I had one brought to me that had absolutely no hair and the next one was furred but no bigger than my hand.

So in my opinion you've done a great job! Keep us up to date on the progress.

CRITTERCALL

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-29-2003, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

i helped look after coons at the center and they are so adorable and i really wanted to get a coondaminium setup at my house here so i could look after a few this yr but there are so many ppl more then willing to look after the coons but not the opossum and i really love them so i thought no i won't split my attention up.
You are right , if they are not furred you can try tubing them for feeding but it is still very low survival rate but once they have fur I have very good success. Last yr I lost 4 joeys out of between 30 and 50 bb and those where pinkies. These guys are about the size of the palm of my hand right now (without tail just body size).

Pets are for life
Not just for xmas
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-29-2003, 09:12 PM
Princess in Waiting

Cool

It was kinda freaky tubing a pinky when I could actually watch the tube go down the little critter's throat.

While working full time with wildlife and part of a circle of rehabbers (we never had a real center) I found that different people always "specialized" - or at least were more drawn to - different animals. One friend I made was thrilled to find me because she really didn't like 'coons but would take every squirrel I could get - which worked out nicely because my daughter always helped but she had finally had her fill of them trying to crawl up into her hair (long, blonde & curly) to make their nest. Someone else specialized in song birds. Someone else had good luck with bunnies. It was really nice.

I envy you your work with the animals that you love. I do so miss that part of my life.

Keep up the good work - and I know you're surviving on donations!! (HA!)

CRITTERCALL

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-04-2003, 02:47 PM
I Wish I Were a Snot Ball Shooter

That's something I'd love to do some day - rehabbing. Got a small taste of it with that baby coon, and when I was a teen, some friends of mine and I spent a summer "rescuing" and raising ducklings. So much fun, and so rewarding.
One year, when I lived in a trailer, my skirting came loose, and I had a nest of possums in my insulation. LMAO They were coming up through the hole where the pipes to my kitchen sink came up. They were eating my dogs milkbones, a few brave ones got into my utensil drawer and forced it open. I used a plastic critter container - you know the ones with the little trapdoor in the top ? Put in some cat food and waited till I heard em start munchin' - they're so slow to react, they were easy to catch. I let em go up at a big park. Caught 12 of the little buggers !! The one night, after I'd caught my 3rd one, I decided I'd wait till morning to run him to the park. BAD IDEA He stunk up the whole trailer. lmao
I'm just glad the momma chose my trailer - I don't think any of my neighbors would have dealt with it the way I did. When I told my parents, the first thing my Dad said was : "Oh no - I hope you're not thinking about keeping any!!" LOL He knows me too well. I didn't keep any though.
What exactly does it take to become a wildlife rehabber ?

Sharon
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-04-2003, 04:36 PM
Princess in Waiting

Cool

Each state has different rules - you would need to check with your nearest Game and Wildlife Office to see what your particular area requires.

KY was an easy place to get a license, especially when the officer found out that I worked for two different vets and would be available to the humane society after hours. I had to get a cage built in the back yard (off the ground with part of it enclosed for an animal to sleep in and part open) and had to talk to a couple of neighbors to make sure no one would be offended.

In FL I would have to have a Federal license, which is no walk in the park to get. You have to have letters of recommendation, letters from vets, several different cages of different sizes, they come to investigate you. With a federal license you are approved to rehab anything, including raptors. Don't tell, but I took care of several hawks and owls! The only person in town with a federal license was impossible to get in touch with.

Make that first call - or check the 'net! It is rewarding and heartbreaking at the same time, but I'm really glad that I had the opportunity to do it.

CRITTERCALL

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-05-2003, 12:42 PM
I Think I Need a Bigger Bear

You would be great at doing rehab Sharon - go for it!

Don't worry about Greg either - he still owes you from Easter! LOL

~ Jodi ~

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-05-2003, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

Myself i do not have my license as of yet , I work as a rehab and foster home for these guys through a large facility in our area. That is important too or at least up is to have volunteered or worked for a wildlife center towards getting your license. During bb season there is just way more bb's needing care and rehab then we have ppl at the center so some of us end up with creatures in our homes. Last yr i had so many here that i wasn't at the center all that much except for events or if they needed help. But it is best to make that call to see what your area wants then start to work towards it .... It is really rewarding at the end of the day

Pets are for life
Not just for xmas
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-05-2003, 09:44 PM
Princess in Waiting

Cool

That's an important point that I left out by mistake. The federal license requires that you have worked/volunteered under someone who is already licensed by the government before you can have a license.

With my KY license I could put other people on it with me, like when Erin moved out she was listed on my license and after I moved we had a friend that she worked under because she would get one or two litters of raccoons because people knew her through me (or found her when they looked for me).

But I totally agree - it is very rewarding. I wish now I had kept a journal of all the animals I took care of. There are so few good wildlife books available that I've often thought of writing one. Back to the real subject - it's a good feeling seeing some little creature that you raised go scampering off through the woods. Or I have video of the first raccoons I released when they found the wonders of a lake. It's like your kids - you hate to see them leave but you realize that you didn't have them to keep your whole life!

CRITTERCALL

Tags
cat food, humane society, vet tech