Mystery Creature - everyone look! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Animals in the Wild Want to share something about a wild or endangered animal? Look here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-28-2004, 12:36 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Mystery Creature - everyone look!

http://www.thewbalchannel.com/news/3545312/detail.html

they say it might be some sort of hyena, it looks like a hyena to me....
Apparently, there is no feasable way, other than genetic tampering to produce a hyena Coyote cross, so what is this thing?
It doesn't look like a fox with mange to me, which is what people are saying it is now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-28-2004, 12:39 AM

lol, looks like a cross between a huena and a horse...weird...
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-28-2004, 12:53 AM
Formerly Known as Roz

My thoughts are that it's very hyena-like. I don't see any coyote, wolf, or fox in it. Just Hyena. It also kind of looks like a mutt dog with a funky haircut. But that wouldn't really explain it's actions, or at least I don't think so.

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-28-2004, 12:55 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-28-2004, 12:56 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

woah, I typed a bunch of text, and then added the smurf...and the only thing that showed up was the smurf....what's goin on?
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-28-2004, 12:57 AM
Miss New Booty

Oh! Brad showed me this the other day! Very strange! After we saw the video,we aren't sure what it is? Maybe part hyena??

~* Jackie *~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-28-2004, 01:02 AM
Formerly Known as Roz

People do some odd things in the name of making money. That critter could be some weird hybrid. I mean, folks started breeding tigers and lions to make tions and ligers in order to make a lot of cash. Does anyone know if attempts at mating Hyenas and some sort of canine were ever attempted? Or heck, it could just be a full blooded Hyena. Folks import wild animals often enough. This one looks like a young male Hyena to me, but I am NO expert.

Could just be someone's idea of a prank. Get a mutt who's Hyena-like, shave and cut him just right, and let him loose. You never know.

-

"They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-28-2004, 08:00 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

I don't really see a hyena. They are lower in the back and higher in the front. In the one picture where it like shows it's face I can see a fox in it. The patch of fur from it's head back is kind of odd though.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-28-2004, 08:37 AM
Poo dont scare me!!!

Ok maybe Im crazy, but to me it sorta looks like a type of wild boar from the side. In other shots it does look somewhat like a hyena or an african dog though...weird.

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-28-2004, 08:59 AM
Wants to Hug Hose Bunnies

It is very weird looking but i have no ideas to what it could be.

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-28-2004, 09:15 AM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

Its definately weird, I agree. It does look like some sort of Hyena cross to me too though.

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-28-2004, 11:47 AM
Newborn Pup

While Watching the news this morning, I found out there is another mystery animal in the MD area....both animals look similar, but the second one looks "kangarooish", I am tyring to find a picture...but I cant find the link on the news channels website.

Tinisa

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-28-2004, 01:05 PM
Herp Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roz
Does anyone know if attempts at mating Hyenas and some sort of canine were ever attempted?
Hyenas are actually more closely related to cats than dogs... but they are their own group. Its unlikely they could hybridize with anything other than other hyena species.

The first pictures of the creature at Joppa almost look like a mara (patagonian cavy) or maybe a really skinny/sick capybara. The other one does look like a hyena. Really though, those are some of the crappiest pictures I've ever seen.

Rav

She sits in her corner, singing herself to sleep.
Wrapped in all of the promises, that no one seems to keep.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-28-2004, 06:32 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravnos
Really though, those are some of the crappiest pictures I've ever seen.
LOL. The pics aren't very clear. You would think that more people would be trying to photograph/videotape this "creature."

Rats have rights...& mice too!
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-28-2004, 07:58 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Quote:
like a type of wild boar from the side.
I was thinking that too. Do Hyenas eat alot of grass/vegetation? It's nice that the video kept refering to it as "beast" and that no one was afraid of it, seemingly implying that they should be.

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

Come drop by!

Tags
wild animal, wild animals