Need HELP with Alligator - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Animals in the Wild Want to share something about a wild or endangered animal? Look here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-24-2007, 01:48 AM Thread Starter
laugh often

Need HELP with Alligator

In my moms back yard pond they found about a four foot alligator just hanging out. Altough that was pretty cool it's not. You see my sister was swimming in that pond a few days ago. The pond was for their horses and dogs. The alligator is big enough to eat my moms dogs. She kept calling the national wild life rescue to come and get it. Everytime they've come out noone can seem to find him. Right now hes feeding on my moms catfish. Does anyone have any more ideas? The rescue said if they were that concerned they could shoot him. Noone wants to hurt the alligator. But he is posing a threat to alot of animals and humans in her back yard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When I'm down my pets turns my frown upside down
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2 Dogs: Harley and Diesel
2 rabbits: Mystic and Thumper
1 Cat- Luna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-24-2007, 10:40 AM
Princess in Waiting

After seeing and hearing of the destruction that alligators can cause both humans and animals, I wouldn't be hesitant to shoot it (and believe me, I'm not one that normally believes in taking the life of an animal unnecessarily). There is an over-abundance of alligators in the wild, so they are venturing closer to populated areas in order to feed. I would guess that it has been dry in TX (or wherever your Mom lives) for it to be in their pond.

This is a situation where it is necessary to prioritize. What's more important - your sister and pets or the alligator? I would have no problem making that decision.

A four-foot alligator is really not big; I've seen news reports where they have caught ones that are 20 feet and more. Even if your sister was at the edge of the pond the 'gator could easily grab her and have her under the water in no time. I'd rather see one less alligator than one less family member.

CRITTERCALL

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-24-2007, 11:17 AM
Herp Nerd

Texas regulates alligators quite strictly, and unless you can prove it was an imminent danger to someone, shooting it would likely get you fined (well, they'd have to find out, I suppose...). I would call Texas Parks & Wildlife, they should be able to either send a game warden to help, or direct you to someone who specifically does alligator removals.

She sits in her corner, singing herself to sleep.
Wrapped in all of the promises, that no one seems to keep.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-25-2007, 04:53 AM Thread Starter
laugh often

Game warden told them to go somewhere else for help or shoot him. Evidently the alligator belonged to her neighbors as a pet. When she told them about it they admitted to at once haveing it as a pet. They refuse to take responsibility for him though. She has a small pom pom a min. dashound and a small poodle then a few bigger dogs. Once anyone can make it out there to get the alligator it runs away and hides very well. She is missing a few cats too.

1 Cat- Luna
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-25-2007, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousey
Game warden told them to go somewhere else for help or shoot him. Evidently the alligator belonged to her neighbors as a pet. When she told them about it they admitted to at once haveing it as a pet. They refuse to take responsibility for him though. She has a small pom pom a min. dashound and a small poodle then a few bigger dogs. Once anyone can make it out there to get the alligator it runs away and hides very well. She is missing a few cats too.
If the neighbors admitted to having the gator as a pet, they cannot escape legal liability, if ownership can be proved. If it were me, I would call the Game Warden back, relay the information provided by the neighbors as to admitting being the owners of the gator, and let the State of Texas deal with the issue. Create a paper trail - get it on the record. If anything happens to you, your family, or anyone else as a result of that gator, the owners can be held liable.

Do you know how they acquired the gator - whether they bought it or found it somewhere? There's always a paper trail somewhere if they did acknowledge it as their pet, whether it was a purchase or even just food purchases - that can be traced to prove ownership and liability.

Please let me know if you don't get positive results from the Game Warden. I've been in the legal profession for the past 15 years - will help you free of charge.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-25-2007, 01:16 PM

Exclamation

all i can say is EEEEEK!!!
i really hope you get him somewhere away from ur sister and pets!!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-25-2007, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
laugh often

I'm trying.
Z Car Barbie I told my my to tryand see if she can get proof that theyowned the alligator. The game warden could get it if it were in sight when they get there. But since he's not they give up really soon.

1 Cat- Luna
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-26-2007, 09:44 AM
Herp Nerd

Where in Texas is it? I know many reptile enthusiasts around the state who may be willing to go out and do a more thorough look for the guy. Honestly though, a four foot gator is not likely catching cats unless they're really dumb cats. Of course, it is a concern, but he's more likely eating fish, turtles, and other much easier to catch prey. They're not going to go too far out of their way to get a meal if they don't have to.

She sits in her corner, singing herself to sleep.
Wrapped in all of the promises, that no one seems to keep.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-26-2007, 04:21 PM
Dinky Corsetkisser

I am a huge croc/gator lover...but there is no way I would have one in my backyard with all the animals and people lol...I would hire someone to take care of it...do you guys have gator wranglers there?

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-26-2007, 10:46 PM Thread Starter
laugh often

I guess her cats ran away then. I spoke to my mom more about this alligatore being the neighbors pet. Turns out that after hurricane Rita the alligator ended up in her neighbors yard. They didn't feed it but they let it just stay there. Now it's bigger and in her yard. I am very worried about her dogs because they oftenswim in the pond and so does her horses.
Ravnos She's near Liberty Texas if that helps.

1 Cat- Luna
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-26-2007, 10:56 PM

it needs to go im sure it is not legal for the neighbors to keep that as a pet... i feel for both sides though.... I have a live and let live attitude but i would want it gone ...... Me bein crazy and all i would pobably try to catch it myself and then calll the people to come pick it up..... but then again I just caught a bark scorpion and am keeping it as a pet for now.... just feed him a cricket last night
he was hungry ......sluuuurrrrrp...... lol
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-26-2007, 11:18 PM Thread Starter
laugh often

lol. I suggested we should catch him but my mom refuses since we're not licensed to do so and all.

1 Cat- Luna
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-27-2007, 10:23 AM

ha ha
your mom probably just didn't even want to get close to it for feer she would be eaten lol