Obese Bird - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Animals in the Wild Want to share something about a wild or endangered animal? Look here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
User Is No Longer Welcome

Obese Bird

Look at this bird, it has been at my birdfeeder the past few days. Its the fatest bird ive seen! I thought that it was just puffed up because of the cold weather but it seems pretty fat. I took the picture through the window so it isn't the best but Im sure you can see what I mean.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 05:40 PM
Playful Pup

ok, you got me, I had to see this thread and you weren't kidding!! That bird is huge!

I guess the phrase 'Eat's like a bird' didn't apply to that one??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Just a small part of my zoo!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 05:48 PM
Princess in Waiting

Thumbs up

The good news is that it's a big fat robin, which means Spring can't be too far away! How funny. Thanks for sharing it. Living in FL the wildlife doesn't fatten up for the "winter" so it's cool to see a bird wearing his winter coat!

Critter

CRITTERCALL

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 06:26 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Aww, that's cute! And funny!

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 06:26 PM
Curmudgeon

He's not fat, his feathers are fluffed up to keep him warm.

bob

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

Wonder why he is so much more fluffed than other birds? There a lot of birds that come to that feeder and none of them look like him. Could he be sick? I guess we will see, if he sticks around when it gets warmer this week.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 09:56 AM
I Think I Need a Bigger Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mygala
He's not fat, his feathers are fluffed up to keep him warm.

bob
*nodding*

~ Jodi ~

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 10:06 AM Thread Starter

Walking to work today I seen about 5 or 6 robins. None were that fluffed. Not even close! Its colder this morning than at the time I took the pic yesterday. I still think he is overweight. lol.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 07:17 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

He's cute.
Though being that large, I wouldn't be surprised if he was ill with a tumor of sorts.

Adoption. Is the living option.
Can't Afford The Vet? Can't Afford the Pet!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 08:59 PM
Curmudgeon

Birds fluff to keep warm. Sometimes it can be an indication of a bird not feeling well, but seeing one fluffed on a winter day (with snow in the background) is not unusual at all. What would be unusual, to the point of being unbelievable, would be finding a fat bird at this time of year. Birds, especially passerines, have extremely high metabolisms. In the winter, it's all they can do to eat enough to stay alive. Even with the help of a feeding station, here is much less food available for those that do not migrate. ...and any bird at the end of a migration has used up most of the body fat it stored up over the winter in the southern feeding grounds.

(Robins migrate in the northern part of their range, but in much of the midwest and south, we have robins year round.)

Tumors are extremely rare in wild birds. Most birds live so close to "the edge", especially in winter, that the tiniest thing can cause them to starve or freeze to death. Any bird with a tumor large enough to be seen would in all probability have died long ago.

bob

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-07-2006, 06:25 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Well, whatever is going on with the birdie, it's a cute pic
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2006, 10:55 PM
Playful Pup

Love your quote, have known families who adopt and abandon so many pets its ridiculous, its like...What's changed since you got rid of your last dog?" Nothing so why would they think it would be any different cuz its a different animal, All animals need time and care. And everytime I know they have done that it breaks my heart. I guess I'm being judgemental but it's hard not to when I imagine my dogs abandoned, they would be so lost without me, some people are just heartless and don't view animals as anything but property..unfortunately neither does the law. Now that I have vented a little I wanted to say I like your quote/sig