orphaned deer - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Animals in the Wild Want to share something about a wild or endangered animal? Look here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

orphaned deer

This little guy was grazing in my backyard yesterday afternoon, it is an everyday thing seeing the deer in our yard. The reason i am posting this thread is because this little guy as all alone, and on my way to work i saw two dead deer on the road . He looks like he was born last year, and he usually comes around with 2 adults. Does anyone know what i should do for this little guy. His mother was nowhere in sight for the full hour that he was in the yard. Should i call the wildlife folks if he continues to come around all by himself? I worry about him he is a very sweet little fawn and is a little bit too used to people for my comfort.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN7635.JPG (52.1 KB, 12 views)

Lois Isabel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 01:41 PM
Curmudgeon

Hard to tell much from the photo...

If you have a question, by all means call your local Dept of Natural Resources. At his age, and judging from the fact that he's grazing well on his own, I'd think he's okay.

bob

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Oh i hope so, i saw a conservation officer with cougar hounds on our street a few days ago. I guess i am attached to this little fellow after seeing him almost daily. Is there anything i could put out for him to eat? Or would that cause him to rely on people for food?

Lois Isabel

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 02:20 PM
Curmudgeon

It would be best to let him forage on his own, that's really best in the long run. If you absolutely MUST help, I'd suggest a salt block rather than food. For a lot of deer, salt is harder to come by.

bob

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.