Our Squirrels - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Animals in the Wild Want to share something about a wild or endangered animal? Look here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-10-2004, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
Fertile Myrtle

Our Squirrels

I decided to go with the pan-on-the-ground idea... the squirrels love it and Ryland LOVES to watch the squirrels!

But I guess I'll have to hang the birdfeeder I bought instead of the one I made... seems we have some snooty birds who think they're too good to eat out of my ghetto-fabulous birdfeeder.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC04940.jpg (58.0 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04941.jpg (59.4 KB, 17 views)

Wife to an amazing man,
mom to three wonderful kids (9, 5.10, 4),
2 dogs, 3 hermit crabs and 2 bettas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-10-2004, 10:20 PM
I live in a Pigdom

Happy squirrels!

Did you drill some holes in the bottom so the rain can go through? Some seed will sift through too, but you really don't want water standing in the pan.

One more warning, forgot about these things when I posted it. When there is seed that has been in the pan for awhile and there have been rains. Make sure it is still good, (you will know if it's bad by the smell) if it's not, dump it.

Adopt a pet today!
Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out. But I can usually shut her up with cookies.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-10-2004, 10:26 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Cute pics! Just wait until they get so bold that they practically beg at the door for more food!

My mom has been putting out corn cobs for the 2 squirrels we have hanging around the house. The squirrels try to carry the corn cob up the tree, jump on the roof of the house and go down the other tree on the back side of the house. They keep dropping the corn cob and you can hear it rolling off the roof. They work so hard and then drop it. It's hilarious!

Rhonda

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-11-2004, 01:02 AM
Miss New Booty

Awwwwwww! Such cute squirrels!!

~* Jackie *~

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-11-2004, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
Fertile Myrtle

No holes.. and it did rain last night! LOL I dumped it out and added new. They aren't shy, one let Ry get within about 3 feet before he ran partway up the tree.

Wife to an amazing man,

|

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2004, 10:58 PM
Princess in Waiting

You know how I love squirrels and am the only one in the neighborhood who will feed them. I have a cake pan sitting on a tree stump with nails around it to keep it in place and one or two in the bottom for drainage. They love it, and the dogs love to check out what they have left.

We used to have a squirrel feeder that I really liked. Neither of us is handy, but it didn't look hard to make. It was a strip of wood, maybe 1 1/2" square (seemed bigger than 1 but not as big as 2) and it had LONG nails coming through it. There was a long wire hanger on top. I always had that dried corn on the cob here and we kept it filled up. They just loved it.

One of my earliest memories is of a friend of my parents who was very into photography. He would cut a "book" from cardboard, paste the sticker you get in the mail trying to get you to buy a magazine, then fill the book with peanut butter. It was so cute and so funny!!

CRITTERCALL

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2004, 11:33 PM

Did you ever think of making some contraption to make them "work" to get the food. I know I'm mean but it might be even more entertaining

My MIL feeds the birds and the squirrels. I posted in another thread where they sit on the deck railing next to the window by the eat-in section of the kitchen and wait for her to throw food out. A few times they have actually attempted to jump through the window but the most they got out of it was a good thud on the glass. There is a little male cardinal that sits right on the open window over the sink and waits for some extras. She feeds them an awful lot!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2004, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
Fertile Myrtle

The birds are snotty, still don't eat from my birdfeeder! LOL

Dena, I'm open to suggestions, the maintenance people stole my squirrel feeder pan when they mowed the grass Monday!

Wife to an amazing man,

|

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2004, 11:47 PM

He, he. I figured you would come up with some ideas if I gave the suggestion. I'll ask my engineer inlaws if they would know how to make a puzzle type squirrel feeder.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-20-2004, 07:22 PM
Princess in Waiting

Bad maintenance people!!

I've seen things on Funniest Pet Videos, etc., where the squirrels go through all kinds of stuff for a peanut, Dena. They are tenacious little fellers!

Oooh, Christi, be careful with Ryland and the squirrels. It is rare, but they can carry rabies. Don't let the baby get hurt! (over-protective Nana in action!)

Have you gone to Home Depot or, my favorite store, Target, and checked the price of squirrel feeders? They may not be too much. Probably no more than a nursing necklace!! (I'll e-mail you about that)

CRITTERCALL

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."

Tags
corn cob, dried corn