scary turtle - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Animals in the Wild Want to share something about a wild or endangered animal? Look here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-16-2005, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

scary turtle

This is a turtle that my dad found in the yard. It was kinda scurry.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-16-2005, 02:26 PM

WOW He is lovely...
Wish I could see turtles in my garden
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-16-2005, 05:30 PM
Curmudgeon

I bet you live near water. That's a snapper, and this time of year, females are coming out to look for places to lay their eggs.

What did you do with her?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-16-2005, 08:45 PM
Princess in Waiting

My first thought was also a snapper. If there is a creek or some water near your house I'd put her in a sturdy container and take her over there! (Although a friend of mine said she went into her sister's house one night and she was cooking one of those things on the stove......yuk!) I don't think I'd want him around.

Critter

CRITTERCALL

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-17-2005, 09:31 AM

She cooked a turtle
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-17-2005, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

Took her to the pond. She was probably digging a hole for ther eggs. I know it looks cruel the way my dad is carrying her, but he didn't wanna get bit. She was MEAN!!!! In the past my dad has killed these when he found them, because we used to have ducks and such and they would eat the babies. But in recent years, we just return them to the pond. I found a slider with three legs not too long ago. I took him to the pond too.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-17-2005, 11:36 AM
Princess in Waiting

It's usually the best idea to take them back to their natural habitat. Those things are mean.

Yeah, Ninja, some people will eat anything. She didn't have much money and her husband found it while he was fishing and insisted that she cook it. Makes me shudder to think about it!

Critter

CRITTERCALL

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 07:05 PM

snappers remind me of dinosaurs lol. that is so..................ugh!!! eating a turtle!!! what was she thinking??!!
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 11:49 AM

Turtle eating? Turtles can carry lotsa diseases, people find eating turtles gross for a reason!
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 04:30 PM

THATS A SNAPPER! Next time i wouldnt touch it. If it bit you OUCH! Speaking from experience - when i was a little girl i lived in snapper country!
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-25-2006, 11:57 AM

Food is food guys starve for a month off of bread and soda and youll appprciate any avalible protien
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-25-2006, 01:40 PM
Herp Nerd

Turtle was a quite common part of the diet up until "modern" times, though species like Diamondback Terrapins are considered to taste better, but turtle is pretty commonly available in southern states still, along with alligator and snake - meat is meat. Many hundreds of thousands of turtles are exported from the US every year to the Asian food markets too.

I can appreciate not wanting to get bit, snappers can do some serious damage and have a pretty impressive reach, but carrying any animal by the tail like that can be harmful to them. Especially if they are struggling.

Common snappers get to a massive size and have probably the widest natural range of any turtle in North America. The largest one I've personally had to deal with was an alligator snapper, another species that is found in the central US.

She sits in her corner, singing herself to sleep.
Wrapped in all of the promises, that no one seems to keep.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-25-2006, 03:27 PM

perhaps she wasn't trying to bit you, maybe just wanted a little snack of lettuce
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-25-2006, 03:45 PM

turtle is very popular to eat here. snapping turtles are cooked often in the house i live in (i dont cook them, i live with a few other people)
i had an alligator snapper as a pet and he never was bitey. when he got to huge to house indoors we let him lose in my uncles pond.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-25-2006, 03:46 PM

by the way, that alligator snapper i had i was telling you about, it was gave to me when it was a baby i didnt catch it and keep it, it was a present. (silly i know) anyway, his name was Bowser (you know, big mean turtle from mario bros?)