trapping rats - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Animals in the Wild Want to share something about a wild or endangered animal? Look here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-02-2010, 05:17 AM Thread Starter
canis lupus familiaris

trapping rats

So...not sure what really happened but I either just stepped on and killed, or Gina left a rat on my doorstep...yum

I'm not an advocate of killing animals especially when they are native so I'm considering purchasing a humane trap and relocating them.

The house I'm watching is known to have a rat problem but my little granny house has had no issues at all till now.

She looked to be a younger doe...a blue berk so possibly someone's pet. I'm not sure if I should be extra concerned by her age (probably 6 months).

Now I know where to get the traps and I know what rats like...my issue rises on where to release it. I live quite a ways away from a river or park but I don't want my prisoner to get caught in a deadly trap or come back to my place.

In other words, any ideas on where to release em?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-02-2010, 04:49 PM
Betta Bomb

With rodents, and I'm no expert, no matter how many you re-locate they will always come back around. I read a book written by an ex-rat trapper who explained territories or something and once you remove one, another will take its place. As long as there is something to attract them.
The area is probably prone to them, do you live near water or buildings that keep dumpsters? This is an attractive food source for them. Also, living near woods or having something of a shelter for them will entice them to hang out. As long as there is way to get food they will not go away. You could get a young terrier, my terrier was trained to find our pet mice when they got out years ago. They're awesome little companions but are not for everybody!
There probably is no real solution to keeping rats out other than getting a dog if you want to be 'humane' about it. The dog will chase them out- this gives the dog something to do as well as keeps you in peace of mind while you find what is attracting them there in the first place and correct it.
Good luck!! And like I said, I am no expert so someone may have a better idea.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-02-2010, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
canis lupus familiaris

I have three dogs lol. Maybe I could get barn cats.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-03-2010, 02:43 PM
Betta Bomb

Cats are wonderful with mice but from what my sister has told me about her pet rats and cats rats are pretty fearless and could require something stronger and more voracious than a cat! Cats hunt mice and small birds and bugs bc they're equipped to handle it (not much fight to them) but rats could potentially kill a cat!! lol

Tags
humane, rats, traps