Ughhh!!!!!!!!!!! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Animals in the Wild Want to share something about a wild or endangered animal? Look here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-07-2003, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
Proud New Mommy

Ughhh!!!!!!!!!!!

The other week... Kevin and I were driving and there was a HUGE raccoon in the middle of the road. He slowed down because it startled him- And it gave me a weird feeling.

Right as we were about to straddle (sp?) the truck over him- he throws his little arm up in the air.. we slammed on the brakes, and as stupid as it may sound- I jumped out.. thinking I was just going to pick him up.. then I realized he could get me sick.. well some lady with a baby in her car pulled up from on coming traffic and slowed down to see what we were looking at, and she took out one of her baby's blankets and gave it to me.. I wraped the poor thing up and took him to the vet.. They told us there was nothing we could do and they have to put him to sleep. UGH....

Then- a couple days ago (Saturday or Sunday) my dad called me and told me he had picked up a baby raccoon off the side of the road and he told me to come meet him. When we got there, it was the smallest raccoon I've ever seen close up and it was so weak it looked like he was going to die. Well, we got to the vet's office and they told us the same thing... I cannot rehabilitate wild animals unless I have a license.

Ok. I understand this, because he could have raibees (sp?)... But couldn't they just test him? I'd pay for it. I'd pay all the money it took. "There's nothing we can do" THEN why are ya'll here? Aren't they supposed to encourage the idea of loving animals? Why couldn't they just try for the little things? Why? It's not fair that all you have to do is pay money and be able to save animals. What if you just want to save them when you can? What if Im too young to get one right now? I could've saved 2 beautiful lives. I probably sound like a whining child.. but I love animals.. and sometimes little things just upset me..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Live your beliefs and you can turn the world around"- Henry David Thoreau
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-07-2003, 12:48 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

The only sure test for rabies is to take a brain sample, just FYI.

Stephanie

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-07-2003, 12:51 PM
Herp Nerd

Find a local state wildlife rehabilitator and take the animals there instead. They are licensed and trained for that sort of thing - where as vets are usually not trained, insured or licensed to care for wild animals unless that is what they specifically do in their practice.

Rav

She sits in her corner, singing herself to sleep.
Wrapped in all of the promises, that no one seems to keep.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-07-2003, 04:06 PM
Princess in Waiting

Cool

The older coon certainly sounded like it had rabies or some other diseases or it would never have let you pick it up. Word from experience - don't try to mess with a grown raccoon that doesn't know you. It will win and you will hurt!

The clinic you took it to should have known a rehabber in the area to take the baby to. Unless it had diarrhea while it was there and looked like a definate case of parvo it deserved a chance.

As Jade said, the only way to check for rabies is to euthanize the animal and send it's brain to be tested. I rehabbed for 4 years and sent many to the lab for testing and never had one come back positive. But I'm not sure what state you live in. I know that the state of Ohio euthanizes without even giving them a chance. I did have a cageful of 12 with parvo and lost them one by one, (me) crying the whole time.

I would call the state Wildlife Association and ask them for a list of rehabbers in your area - or call vet clinics and ask if they have a list. They can also tell you what can be rehabbed and what can't.

I hate it that this happened to you. Aren't the raccoons pretty? I just love them. Do a little research and if this happens again you should have better luck this time. (BTW, in my experience this is not the right time of year for babies although you do sometimes see a few in the fall. HMMMM).

CRITTERCALL

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-07-2003, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Proud New Mommy

I was afriad that that was the only way. I knew it was years ago- but never knew if it has changed. The baby was perfectly fine in my untrained eyes besides being very weak..

I get soo upset.. plus this time of the month makes it even worse!! And I'll be 17 the 20th and I can't get my license until the 26th of NOVEMBER!! AHHHHHHHHHHH!! All through Atlanta and the towns around it are booked until then! Crazy stuff.

Anyways- Yes! The babies are exceptionally adorable... I loved that little thing. And it was still crying when my dad had picked it up- but by the time I got there, it was sleeping on a halloween wig in a shoe box. Quiet.

The vet told me when I get there (of course, AFTER I started crying) that they would call Noah's Ark (it's a rehabilitation center) but he would doubtfully survive. They said I could call in and find out what happened with him. They were actually really nice and I was kinda rude.. I guess they understand, Im sure they see that alot. Im gonna look into seeing how old you have to be and what the requirements are to being an animal rehabilitator... It almost just makes me want to keep them when I find them, but I don't want to risk me or any of my animals catching anything...

Thanks so much for listening to me! Ill letchya know what I find out when I call.

"Live your beliefs and you can turn the world around"- Henry David Thoreau
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-07-2003, 07:20 PM
Princess in Waiting

Cool

Going by the rules I had to follow in KY, they were really negative about it (Wildlife Dept) until I told them that I worked at both a regular clinic and the emergency clinic. That told them that I had all the medical back-up I would need. And if you are going to re-hab at home, please remember that it is a family project. I couldn't have done it without the help of Bubba and Erin (I have video of Erin with her flock of Canada geese - so funny.)

Volunteer at the Humane Society or get a job at a vet clinic. Make sure that your heart and your stomach can tolerate it before you go into it full steam ahead. It is both rewarding and heartbreaking, you know? Working with animals is something I wish I had found earlier in my life, but I guess I wasn't ready for it then. Now with this wretched FMS monster I just can't do it anymore. The state of FL requires that all rehabilitators have a Federal license, which is very difficult to get.

Good luck! If you have any more questions that I may be able to answer I'll be glad to. One of my favorite subjects!!

CRITTERCALL

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-05-2004, 11:05 AM
Adolescent Pup

I do hope that you look into helping at a shelter...it could be your first step to getting licensed with your state to help care for those little critters. I live in a rural area, but our vets are all conected with folks who can care for the wildlife in need. How terribly sad that vet is not...maybe you should call around to other vets and see if you can find one who is. That way you would know where you can take an animal next time.

Marianne

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-06-2004, 10:28 PM
Resident Chatroom Blonde

Rocheal it is hard to see wildlife lay and suffer.When I worked at the vets office we would get in wildlife once in awhile.The game warden got wind of it and came to the office and had a talk with us on the subject.Here in Missouri it is against the law to help an injured wild animal.WE were told to leave it alone and let nature take its course.He also explained we could be fined if caught with wildlife on the premises and if anyone brought a wild animal in we had to confiscate it and call him.We get calls from people about birds and we had to tell them to leave it be andnot bring it in cause we couldn't help.It is sad that the law don't allow the help of wildlife and there is not very many wildlife rehabs around here.

Tags
humane society, vet clinic, wild animal, wild animals