An unexpected visitor! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Animals in the Wild Want to share something about a wild or endangered animal? Look here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-27-2004, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
Formerly Known as Roz

Smile An unexpected visitor!

Last night was our last night feeding Jeremy's two semi-feral cats, Phantom and Shadow, and boy was it an eventful night.

On the way (walking) to Jeremy's house, we ran into four deer. It was dark but it appeared to be a young buck, a doe, and two fawns. They let us get pretty close before they began to retreat. (We got close just minding our own business. Didn't even see them at first. LOL.)

Then at Jeremy's house, Shadow was acting weird. She kept going outside. She was hiding something behind the curtains, out of sight. I had a sinking suspicion it was something dead, like a mouse. A moment after I decided it had to be a kill of hers, she turned around, arched her back, and all her hair stood on end! I told Sharon, "Something's out there." I really didn't think it was another cat, because she seemed spooked. The next thing I know, Shadow has shot inside, part of a dead rat hanging from her mouth, and a RACCOON is coming down out of the trees.

Mr. or Mrs. Raccoon followed Shadow to the house. The raccoon proceded to stick it's head into the door. At this time we decided it was best to encourage the raccoon to leave. So I hissed and growled (like a large feline) at it, and it backed off, down under the porch. Whew...

That was not the end of the unexpected visitor, however. I accidentally scared Shadow outside when I hissed and growled. So the raccoon popped back up and came after Shadow. Once again, she came inside, and the raccoon tried to come inside after her, but I moved at it, snarling, and it backed under the porch once more. I thought that, surely, this was the last visit it'd make. But just in case, I called Chris and asked him to drive down and bring my digital camera. He did, and once again, the raccoon made an appearance. This third and final time, I got some pictures. I only wish they were better. Oh well.

Back at home, Chris and I ran into a skunk. Eep!

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

Last edited by Tilt; 08-27-2004 at 02:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-27-2004, 03:59 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

Crazy Coon!

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-27-2004, 05:16 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Craziness!

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

Come drop by!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-27-2004, 09:10 PM
Kansas City Chinchillas

Wow exciting night.

Cathy
Kansas City Chinchillas

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-28-2004, 09:29 PM
Princess in Waiting

You are right - 'coons have a mind of their own. Guess that's why I love them so much, they are such a challenge.

What do you plan to do with the feral cats when they are fed out? Changes the picture on the film a bit,doesn't it? Are you a licensed rehabber or do you know one in your area who "specializes" in 'coons? If not, perhaps the humane society could loan you a couple of traps so that you can catch then and let them go in another area.

I'd love to see them. My first spring in years without a baby!! Your pictures didn't come through on my computer. Don't know what the problem is.

Keep us up to date.

CRITTERCALL

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-29-2004, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
Formerly Known as Roz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crittercall
You are right - 'coons have a mind of their own. Guess that's why I love them so much, they are such a challenge.

What do you plan to do with the feral cats when they are fed out? Changes the picture on the film a bit,doesn't it? Are you a licensed rehabber or do you know one in your area who "specializes" in 'coons? If not, perhaps the humane society could loan you a couple of traps so that you can catch then and let them go in another area.

I'd love to see them. My first spring in years without a baby!! Your pictures didn't come through on my computer. Don't know what the problem is.

Keep us up to date.
Excuse me please but, what on earth are you talking about? Your post is fairly incomprehensible.

-

"They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-30-2004, 04:55 AM
Fluffy Potatokisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crittercall

Keep us up to date.
Feral Cats? I didn't see anything about her having feral cats....
And the coon I believe is just a coon...coons are everywhere...you can't catch and release all of them somewhere else...what if it has a family to feed?
Roz, I think if you can keep the coon out of the house and Shadow has a place to get away if she needs to, it's fine. If the coon becomes a menace, then yes, I would have it removed by trapping and release, but unless it becomes a danger or a menace, live and let live, I say. We have squirrels and birds and all kinds of wildlife around here, including in my own backyard...they aren't a menace so we let them be.

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Come visit us at
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-30-2004, 07:00 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Ahhhh! hahahaha Coons, coons are so cool, I think they are cute but boy can they be kinda annoying.

*Brandy*

|
|
|

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-30-2004, 10:31 AM
Princess in Waiting

Roz, if you want some information from someone who has experience with both raccoons AND feral cats e-mail me. (A feral cat, for whoever asked, is wild and never been brought up by it's mother or been around people.)

Yes, coons are coons BUT although sometimes you find one that is sweet and loving, once they hit puberty (that means when their hormones start kicking in and they are looking for another coon) they are terribly mean.

I HIGHLY recommend that if you are going to be dealing with these animals that you (1) study the subject either on the computer or the library (2) if their is a rehab center in your area volunteer to work with them so that you will learn the proper way to do things (like take them to the center so that they will not become imprinted on you - think that you are their mother and that the two of you are the same animal - and make sure that you are old enough -(3)Talk to a local veterinarian - the more the better - about doing this. It can be very dangerous to work with wildlife of any kind unless you are trained to do so. Last but certainly not least, BE SURE YOU ARE VACCINATED AGAINST RABIES!! The only way that you can tell if a cute little coon or fluffy little fox has rabies is to euthanize it (have it put to sleep) if it bites you, send it to the county wildlife department, and they have to remove the animal's head and check an area of its brain to see if it is rabid.

I hope this makes sense to you. Working with wildlife can be very rewarding if you study it, have a good mentor and know what you are doing. It is often best if you start out with birds (they usually die-don't know why), squirrels, bunnies - something less aggressive and dangerous.

CRITTERCALL

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-30-2004, 10:41 AM
Fluffy Potatokisser

I'm confused as to why all the talk about catching and rehabbing a coon...she never stated it was injured or that she had any desire to catch it, just wanted it to go away and stop freaking out her cat.
Did I completely miss something?

Edited to add: Whoops! I did miss something! The first line of the thread! Semi-feral cats...hmmm...okay NOW I understand the concern! My apologies!

Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Come visit us at

Last edited by Chinchilla_Girl; 08-30-2004 at 10:46 AM.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-30-2004, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Formerly Known as Roz

Thanks, Crittercall, for trying to help, but help is not needed. The semi-feral cats, Shadow and Phantom, are not mine. They belong to my boyfriend's mother's friend, Jeremy. He feeds them, takes them to the vet. Why, he even had them neutered and spayed. They are barely feral anymore, now allowing even me to hold and pet them, which is why I said semi-feral. Jeremy has made a LOT of progress with them, and they are well loved and well cared for. I have nothing to do with that. I simply went along with Sharon to feed them while Jeremy was out of town. Jeremy is now back in town and back to caring for his kitties.

As for the raccoon, he or she is, again, not my problem. It showed up at Jeremy's house, and this is likely not the first time. Raccoons are EVERYWHERE out here (along with skunks,) and I am not about to go on some raccoon relocation crusade and relocate all of them. They don't bother me and I don't bother them. Regardless, the raccoon I photographed visits Jeremy's house. If it becomes a problem for him or his cats, I am positive he will deal with it as it is appropriate. He is a very avid animal, wildlife, and nature lover. Any creature, big or small, that wanders onto his property, is in good hands, as he knows what to do. So I am not concerned.

If Shadow would just stop dragging home dead rats, the raccoons wouldn't even enter Jeremy's property. He feeds them inside only, to avoid raccoon problems. But alas, you can't control a 100% tame cat, nor can you control a semi-feral cat. They will do what they will do, and Shadow, apparently, has an appetite for rats.

I am still a bit baffled as to why these things came up since I wasn't complaining about the raccoon, nor did I say s/he was causing any problems, but oh well. Thank you, regardless, Crittercall. I know you were just trying to help and it's good to know there are knowledgable people around here, available to offer help.

-

Tags
feral cats, humane society